Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Star Wars question no spoilers...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

General Star Wars question no spoilers...

Dec 18, 2020, 11:36 AM

why do stormtroopers wear armor if any blaster can kill them with one shot and they can even get knocked out cold if they get punched in the face wearing the armor?

Clearly it's not because they have targeting capabilities in the helmets.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a theory on this

Dec 18, 2020, 11:43 AM

I think, the Empire farms out the armour to a mom and pop shop on Endor. Obviously the Empire has taken issue with the quality of the supply. Mom and Pop outsourced to the lowest bidder for raw material that doesn't meet the Mil-spec regarding the material requirements.

The Empire has been sued over this by families of the Storm troopers and is trying to force mom and pop to pay for the lawsuits, mom and pop then counter sue The Empire. Since all is tied up in litigation, all contracts are being upheld and The Empire has no choice but to accept the poor quality suits.

Plot twist, this is one reason The Empire put the shield power station on Endor as some kind of retribution

spooneye® and Murcielago may have more detail

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fookin lawyers I tell ya***

Dec 18, 2020, 11:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Needless to say, the Galactic Senate was so embued

Dec 18, 2020, 12:07 PM

with bureaucracy, tort reform hadn't been addressed in a LONG time.

This seems legit. I have two follow up questions for you

Dec 18, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I have a theory on this ]

1. Did we ever see them take off their helmets before Finn did?

2. Do they wear clothes underneath them, or just underpants, or is it like a swimming suit fishnet sack holder thing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Answers within

Dec 18, 2020, 12:04 PM

1. I want to say yes, in the Clone Wars

2. I think it's a compression shirt and yoga pants on underneath. What I am very curious about is, what brand of socks do they wear. Sure ryanadidas® will tell you that they wear Carhartt. How intimidating is someone wearing that ? Rednecky ? Yes. Intimidating, no.

Boy

Dec 18, 2020, 2:07 PM

I'll take my carharts over some nike spandex with some faggety soccer team logo any day of the week, especially if I'm out crushing rebel scum.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Amazon has replaced the mom and pops

Dec 18, 2020, 2:41 PM [ in reply to I have a theory on this ]

https://www.amazon.com/Costumes-USA-Stormtrooper-Standard-Jumpsuit/dp/B07QM2Q153/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OVD28OQWIX5M&dchild=1&keywords=stormtrooper+suit&qid=1608320376&sprefix=storm+trooper+sui%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

Stormtroopers are the ultimate p**says

Dec 18, 2020, 12:11 PM

signed,
Captain James Kirk

Teal'c supports this statement

Dec 18, 2020, 12:35 PM

says they ain't nothin'

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Stormtroopers are the ultimate p**says

Dec 18, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Stormtroopers are the ultimate p**says ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it helps them against Klingon bat'leths***

Dec 18, 2020, 1:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: it helps them against Klingon bat'leths

Dec 18, 2020, 3:02 PM

A bigger problem I have is that when they blew up the

Dec 18, 2020, 1:20 PM

Death Star, all those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed--casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. All right, look: you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's be clear, the only one that contractors were killed

Dec 18, 2020, 1:26 PM

on was the second one, since it was still under construction. Murcielago and I discussed the possibility of wrongful death lawsuits, but he opined since it was an act of war, it would get thrown out. Plus, at that moment, what jurisdiction was it ? I would think that sovereignty doesn't exist in actual outer space, much like international waters.

Well as far as lawsuits go...

Dec 18, 2020, 1:42 PM

I think most of the folks on there are employees of something called the Galactic Empire which is known to be in conflict with left wing extremists. Plus this place has like Death Star in the name right?

And despite not being a “hearts and minds” kind of military leader you know Palpatine has his name on all those checks. He may not sign em but he definitely has a name on there somewhere. And given the nature of his ploy to capture Luke Skywalker, it probably says dark Lord of the Sith right on the check. So everyone of those contractors entered into a contract with something called a dark Lord of the empire.

I think that could definitely be assumption of the risk. At the very least it’s pretty strong comparative negligence.

Message was edited by: FordPrefect®

You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star

Dec 18, 2020, 11:18 PM [ in reply to A bigger problem I have is that when they blew up the ]

knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (tapping my heart) not his wallet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do the roofers get all of the attention? Their job is

Dec 18, 2020, 11:32 PM

pretty easy, what with the total lack of precipitation in space.
How about some respect for the Death Star plumbers? I don't even know how you make a toilet flush in zero gravity, and then when you do, where does it even go?

Maybe, just maybe

Dec 18, 2020, 1:52 PM

This has been asked more than how to download a tiger rag ringtone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then WHY NO ANSWERS?***

Dec 18, 2020, 1:54 PM

The purpose of the suit (not armor) is to make them all

Dec 18, 2020, 2:17 PM

look alike - it's not for protection. At least that's what Yoda's momma told me last night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Star Wars question no spoilers...

Dec 18, 2020, 3:08 PM

Imagine that you have to outfit millions of soldiers in some kind of armor. What do you need that armor to be? Decent criteria would be light, effective, imposing (they are the bad guys after all), and cheap. I think that if we consider the criteria as a whole, Stormtrooper armor, as ineffective as it appears in the movies, starts to make a lot of sense.

I don't know the answer to them being punched but...

Dec 18, 2020, 3:35 PM

I've always assumed they don't die from getting shot instead they just get knocked out from the kinetic energy of getting hit. Similar to how a bulletproof vest keeps you from getting killed when shot but knocks you out from the energy absorbed (at least in movies).

The Empire's all show, no go.

Dec 18, 2020, 4:07 PM

Much like a planet-killing weapon that can be easily destroyed by a farm boy who's never flown an X-wing fighter, storm trooper armor looks badass but provides no real protection from blasters.

well, yeah...

Dec 18, 2020, 4:14 PM

because they pissed off that chick by killing her dad, who built in a weakness to the Death Star on PURPOSE!

Now, you can argue that someone in the architecture or engineering firm that specced out the build should have noticed the glaring weakness, but as far as it being there to begin with Bravo to whatever that dude's name was whose daughter died saving the rebellion by getting the plans.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic