Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is starting ACC network so difficult
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Why is starting ACC network so difficult

May 13, 2016, 12:12 PM

Is it FCC restrictions, NCAA complications or funding? Thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I imagine it's lack of viewers

May 13, 2016, 12:28 PM

How much filler will be played on this channel for a 24hr network? There are only so many UNC basketball highlights that could possibly be shown on loop.

Other than potential extra revenue for Clemson, I have little expectations to watch this channel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, there is no guarantee it will make money. The alumni

May 13, 2016, 12:58 PM

/fan base for ACC schools is dwarfed by the numbers in the SEC and Big Ten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC has much more(and better) product to offer than

May 13, 2016, 1:09 PM [ in reply to I imagine it's lack of viewers ]

the BIG X Network, and they are extremely profitable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

But no demand for that product***

May 13, 2016, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the SEC network does a good job

May 13, 2016, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I imagine it's lack of viewers ]

with Alabama football highlights during the offseason

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN is broke.***

May 13, 2016, 12:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Ding ding ding.***

May 13, 2016, 12:31 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ding ding ding.**

May 13, 2016, 1:15 PM

It's not that ESPN is broke, it's that ESPN will lose $ on it. Football networks make $ by getting subscribers. They get subscribers by affiliating with cable networks. In effect, local cable networks force their subscribers to purchase channels in bundles. ESPN gets involved because they can offer national bundles. They do this in exchange for some of the profits the conference networks make. Basically, ESPN will tell a local cable company with ACC subscribers in its network that the cable company has to offer the ACC network with ESPN in its area in order to get ESPN and this will cost, for example, $5.00 more per subscriber per month.

Everything is great as long as the cable company and subscribers agree. The problem is that subscribers are fed up with the cost and may rather drop cable (become a cord cutter) than pay the higher cost, cut coverage with tat channel or move to a different provider (like direct tv or dish). In any case, the cable company may lose $ so they don't agree to the deal. They may agree at a lower price (eg $2 month, like with the longhorn network), but that's a $ loser for ESPN and the conference Add in that there is a significant outlay of $ for setup costs that the conferences don't have and expect to be fronted by ESPN for it share of future profits, and you see the delima. It's just a bad business deal right now. It's also a model that is likely not sustainable for very long (probably not more than10 years). So, even if both parties make $ for the first few years, the whole house of cards could fall at any time.

For Realsies

May 13, 2016, 1:03 PM [ in reply to ESPN is broke.*** ]

They are locked into huge costs from various broadcast deals, and their business model is getting completely destroyed. It's no secret that they cost the consumer more than any other cable network, and they used to get away with bundling (if you want ESPN you HAVE to purchase the package with all 87 of their channels). Between all sorts of ways to stream sports and Verizon now offering mix and match TV packages, adding another network is not going to happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their last quarter looked better than before.***

May 13, 2016, 1:32 PM [ in reply to ESPN is broke.*** ]

TV Brass hasn't created enough jobs for Swofford's inlaws***

May 13, 2016, 1:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is starting ACC network so difficult

May 13, 2016, 1:43 PM

I think that it's mostly bc of ESECPN wanting to limit ACC TV viewing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2016, 2:19 PM

Espn got hosed with the SEC network. They thought they could get top dollar from distributers and force it into everyone tv package. They barely got buy in prior to release. Instead they took what they could get and made it a promotional package that will not be included in most tier 1 programing in coming seasons. This means the profit margins for ESPN are much lower because they are already negotiated the amount to the conference.

null

May 13, 2016, 5:48 PM

That is not true. Check your facts.

May 13, 2016, 2:22 PM

The early bird gets the worm. The SEC and other conference got in early. Huge contracts. Huge money. Huge money losers from what I have seen. Now, the networks are wary of signing more contracts with conferences knowing that they will likely LOSE money if the contract is too large. Plus, the market is already saturated. How many football fan fannies can a network put in front of the TV when there are forty football games on at the same time?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SECN Big 10 Network Took 3-4 years

May 13, 2016, 2:27 PM

Look at the SEC Network and Big 10 network, both took 3-4 years to launch and after their initial discussions began.

IF you want to say the ACC started in earnest on a network after the GOR in 2013 then the conference is not that far behind. This a lot more difficult time to start a network than back when those two started.

I believe the initial launch date was going to be 2016 or 2017, but the industry trends delayed things.

The network from recent comments of Radakovich and Swofford indicate things are very much moving forward again, and I think we'll see something in 2018.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2016, 5:53 PM

It is swoffies pure and simple! he just HAS to protect his son!! when the ACC gets rid of that worthless B#$%^&#$% then we can begin to make some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic