Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone think SEC refs would favor Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Does anyone think SEC refs would favor Clemson?

Dec 29, 2019, 8:26 AM

If there is any program in America that has done more damage to the SEC's legacy of incessant dominance, it is Clemson.

We ended the Alabama dynasty, probably two national titles before Saban was really ready to concede it. We annually dominate our in-state SEC rival. We pull dozens of recruits out of Atlanta, the hub of the SEC and the richest recruiting territory in modern high school football - yes, even better than Miami. (I've heard from several coaches now they vastly prefer ATL recruits over Miami recruits because they tend to have far less off-the-field baggage and are generally coached better in high school. And I've seen with my own eyes it's the new Promised Land for college coaches from across the country. They come from everywhere, mostly looking for speed and skill guys.)

And we have done it by being almost the anti-SEC, graduating players at the level of Stanford and Duke - Duke! - and without getting even so much as a sniff from the NCAA. We've gotten used to having the likes of Mont Adams, Carl Lawson, Robert Nkimdiche, Leon O'Neal, and Jordan Burch all pulled away by SEC competition in the dying hours before signing day under often (cough) odd circumstances; this year is the first year since 2015 per Rivals.com we've even had a Top-5 recruiting class; our average class rank under Dabo has actually hovered right around #10 overall. We get some blue chips, granted, but we do a lot more with development, retention (not a lot of Clemson boys in that transfer portal, have a gander for yourself), coaching, culture, and old-fashioned overachieving. Yes, the lead was taken by a 5-star in Trevor Lawrence (throwing to a 3-star sleeper pick in Travis Etienne) but it was cinched by an INT from 2-star, 5-heart Nolan Turner, who was up there with the Davis Twins (who also had their share of big moments and thoroughly earned their scholies!) as far as controversial Dabo Special scholie takes.

That's pure Clemson, has been for years under Dabo.

You think the SEC wants to help us? We're sitting right in the SEC's heartland, poaching the players they want, taking the shine off their brand, and we're doing it by graduating players and preaching family and God and public service and above all, in complete contrast to the SEC motto, football doesn't mean more, it's just a game and have fun with it for cryin' out loud.

No, the SEC is not going to help us. Ever. They'd love it if we just went away. They're starting to hate us the way the Coyote hated the Roadrunner...and for much the same reason. It definitely ain't one big happy Southern family, whatever.

In this game, the refs were just the refs. They did their jobs. The calls were what they were. Some went for us, some went against.

And the rest is just...whining.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone think SEC refs would favor Clemson?

Dec 29, 2019, 9:06 AM

Agreed time 1000000!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dec 29, 2019, 9:43 AM

As usual, kudos to you for your ability to do great analysis; as well as your talent for concisely stating it! I would, however, offer that (in my opinion) us fans are probably too critical of officials, their performance, and worse yet, accusing them of potentially unethical motives or bias. I guess I’m saying I disagree with that ’part’ of your post. But that is okay, as we don’t always have to agree.

Please keep the great thoughts and comments coming, my friend - they are always thought provoking (AND entertaining)!

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Love it

Dec 29, 2019, 9:52 AM

Great post, Q....as usual. Hadn’t considered that perspective.

Saw a couple years ago that UGa was determined by a study (i think by rivals) to be the #1 geographic location in the country in terms of proximity to the best high school prospects.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are the closest Power 5 school to UGA....

Dec 30, 2019, 4:20 AM

So we aren't far off. I like the stuff we can recruit in NC, VA, TN, and MD. Florida and GA are a given.

Re: Apparently the vast majority of those yankee bucknut

Dec 29, 2019, 9:54 AM

necklace-wearing idjits in O310 think so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 29, 2019, 10:43 AM

I agree that the refs did a great job and certainly did not show any SEC bias; you have to give credit where credit is due.

Dec 29, 2019, 11:47 PM

Bump

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Their inane implication is the SEC officials...

Dec 30, 2019, 3:31 AM

were protecting LSU from having to face OSU; no one with a functional brain while also of being of sane mind would find this plausable. Not entertaining the possibility, but LSU fans & SEC officials have a volatile relationship as death threats have in the recent past been made against SEC officials- in the

I like seeing you post again quozzel...Please continue!***

Dec 30, 2019, 4:16 AM

Dec 30, 2019, 4:25 AM

You are correct. SEC officials have every reason to disfavor Clemson for the reasons well stated above.

Mainly officiating crews from wherever do not want to lose their status or income from doing this work. Most of them really like what they do. They want the next day analysis to show they were corrected/ consistent.

Coach Day and Ohio State should be counseled in the future to focus on themselves - red zone field goals in a game where TD’s are needed to win, inability of their defense to stop Clemson on a 29-7 run to end the game.

Arguing whether something is a catch or is not a catch is fools gold now. Officials looked at it for five minutes from all angles and speeds and told you that it was not a catch. End of story move on to the next play.

Coach your players properly when it is third down and they are blitzing, wrap up a quarterback and put him down for a sack legally. If you launch yourself to “lay the wood” , lead with the crown of your helmet and create helmet to helmet contact with intention to hurt another player, you will get called for targeting and you will be penalized 15 yards and your player will be ejected. Every time.

Clemson has not lost in a long time. When we lost in the sugar bowl to Alabama, Dabo was gracious and he came back home and did what he needed to do to make our team better. And when Florida State manhandled us in Death Valley in 2013, Dabo was gracious and he just kept working to make us better. When we went to Tallahassee with the better team in 2014 and still found a way to lose, Dabo was gracious and he focused on making our team better even if the fans were depressed about the outcome.

At present, Dabo is focused on trying to find a way to beat LSU with his current personnel.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic