Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson professor rebukes protesters’ ‘shallow, narrow, unin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 115
| visibility 1

Clemson professor rebukes protesters’ ‘shallow, narrow, unin

Apr 27, 2016, 12:04 PM

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/26/clemson-professor-rebukes-protesters-shallow-narro/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think this article could have said it any better...

Apr 27, 2016, 12:16 PM

I hate those who make demands, not to institute social change, but merely to further their own agenda. They held Clemson hostage for 9 days until it had no choice but to meet some of their demands or become a P.R. sh1tstorm.

the story is just his view of the situation...

Apr 27, 2016, 12:35 PM

the professor's history and views should actually be a part of the context of his "rebuke", especially in light of the fact that so much of what MLK Jr. actually espoused has been summarily reduced to sound bites only fit for the ears attached to the mind and mouth that want to directly correlate specific points in history to specific points in the now that probably have no correlation at all... i'm just sayin'...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean, agree or disagree with them that was the point...***

Apr 27, 2016, 4:17 PM [ in reply to I don't think this article could have said it any better... ]

And MLK the person he referenced made demands all the time...

Apr 27, 2016, 4:26 PM [ in reply to I don't think this article could have said it any better... ]

Very ironic that he uses a person who did the same exact thing during numerous protests, to scold the students with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think this article could have said it any better...

Apr 27, 2016, 10:16 PM [ in reply to I don't think this article could have said it any better... ]

Yea, in my opinion that's arguably the biggest problem with protests like this, and the Mizzou protests really brought all of that to another level.

Change should come as a result of conversation & debate. One of the most important parts of college is opening your mind to new ideas and hearing new perspectives. I grew up in Massachusetts and wasn't very political in high school, but if I leaned in a direction politically when I entered college, it was to the left. Clemson pushed me FAR left because I was totally opposed to the ultra-conservative religious views held by many on/around campus. However, I still talked with people who had those views, including two of my roommates who I roomed with for multiple years. After leaving South Carolina and heading back to Boston, I became more moderate and when I moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, I was pushed more libertarian due to the insane amount of control government has over their economy. My political leanings aren't important, but my overall point is that flexibility and being open to new ideas and thinking in new ways is extremely important. Being locked into beliefs with zero wiggle room for outside opinions deprives people of improving themselves and making society greater as a whole.

Unfortunately, these protestors don't seek to learn anything new or discuss possible solutions since their protests are filled with nothing but lists of demands. In my opinion they're groupthink fascists, masquerading as champions of equality. The worst part of this is that we're all going to suffer because of this. These bozos aren't going to be met with reasonable balance from the other side. This is just going to further grow the massive political gap in our country, leaving the reasonable majority with less & less viable candidates.

The irony of President Obama's tenure is that many believed the economy would struggle under his watch while race relations would improve. Instead, the economy has flourished while race relations have taken a massive nose dive.

Apr 29, 2016, 12:51 AM

Tmac I respected your post until you stated the economy has flourished under the ####### known as Barack Obama.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 12:53 AM

Ba***rd

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 12:59 AM

Good thing you clarified what you were saying, otherwise that could have been interpreted in a really bad way.

Apr 29, 2016, 12:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think this article could have said it any better... ]

Has it not? Unemployment has been reduced massively, the stock market is at all-time highs, venture capital is skyrocketing. Like him or not, the economy has done well under Obama. He came into office facing arguably the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, and things have turned around.

The economic improvement is in spite of Obama

Apr 30, 2016, 8:09 AM

The slide was bad and got worse after the first round of tax and spend. After the turnover of the congress and rationalization of the spending trajectory, things began to improve.

Re: The economic improvement is in spite of Obama

Apr 30, 2016, 3:39 PM

Ah ok. All bad things are Obama's fault, all good things happen in spite of him. Very reasonable.

djosey13 agree with you 110%. I just hope the admin does not cave in

Apr 30, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to I don't think this article could have said it any better... ]

to a minority group of students. We have enough minority groups running our country into the ground. We sure don't need more of them controlling policy etc...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How'd I know the prof in question would be ol'Dave?

Apr 27, 2016, 12:28 PM

While I respect Dr. Woodard in many ways, he would be well-advised to mind the plank in his own eye (dude has a history of twice assaulting students on campus - look it up) before pointing to the speck in another's.

I am NOT siding with the protesters. Just saying ol'Dave has enough of his own problems without getting up in the business of others'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had him back in 2001 for History of Southern Politics

Apr 27, 2016, 12:39 PM

and he was entertaining but really tough. Our final grade was a class presentation and the person who presented right before I was scheduled to present got absolutely screamed at because Dr Woodard didn't feel his presentation and all those who went before him met the basic standard for college work. He then ended the class and stormed out. Needless to say, I was just a little nervous being the next one up a couple days later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

good for this dr. woodard fellow, he must've really cared...

Apr 27, 2016, 12:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqjznmTp80

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did. The problem is, most students take that as being

Apr 28, 2016, 8:12 AM

mean and hurting their feelings and that the professor is too tough. I took it as a challenge to work harder, and I did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If you were larger than the average male you could just push his face into the ground***

Apr 27, 2016, 2:16 PM [ in reply to I had him back in 2001 for History of Southern Politics ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

he was fine when I had him for a political thinkers course

Apr 27, 2016, 4:16 PM [ in reply to I had him back in 2001 for History of Southern Politics ]

(I may have had both ancient and modern political thought with him, but I can't remember). But yeah, his exams were freaking tough. Lots of those "A," "B," "A and B," "Sometimes A" answers.

ok, ol'dave has his problems[taking your word for this], but

Apr 27, 2016, 12:54 PM [ in reply to How'd I know the prof in question would be ol'Dave? ]

running ol'dave down doesn't make his, or anyone's thoughts for that matter, unworthy or wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't read APM's reply like that.

Apr 27, 2016, 5:16 PM

Maybe you didn't either, I don't know.

I'm certainly not running

Apr 27, 2016, 5:20 PM [ in reply to ok, ol'dave has his problems[taking your word for this], but ]

Ol Dave down either, but this is an interesting photo:

nice shirt, but i'm not a fan of those glasses...

Apr 27, 2016, 5:31 PM

was the good professor mirandized, he has rights including the first.

as for apm, hypocrisy knows no bounds - what's to get?

I'm not sure I follow?

Apr 27, 2016, 5:34 PM

I didn't read APM's post like that, and it's an interesting photo. That's all I'm saying.

ok, you don't follow...

Apr 27, 2016, 5:47 PM

that's perfectly clear as is you offering again that you didn't read apm's post like that - no worries.

i don't find anything interesting[save the shirt...] about the photo, but if you do, that's terrific.

ol'dave is a professor at clemson with some thoughts on the recent events, which affected a lot of lives, directly and indirectly.

i don't see much discussion on the ideas, including ol'apm.

No, I don't follow you, that's what I'm saying. I apologize,

Apr 27, 2016, 6:12 PM

but did APM run ol'dave down or imply anyone's thoughts on the matter were unworthy or wrong? And yes, no matter how you slice it there are more things interesting than his shirt about that photo.Do you wonder about the background, at all? Not here to judge, but it is interesting, you know, makes you curious what it's all about. No denying that really.

Who's saying we can't discuss ideas? I'm certainly not against that, and I don't think APM is either.

In my humble opinion, many of the demands made by the group were like the Dr. Woodard said, but then too some of the issues raised by the group have some merit to them too. Right? Neither group is unworthy or wrong. Both have some valid points, and both could have some flaws in their stance too, right?

to you, not to me and there's nothing you can do to change

Apr 27, 2016, 6:29 PM

that - it just does not matter, but if it does to you, then that's just great - have at it.

in the absence of discussion on the thoughts or ideals, the critical is turned towards the person instead, or as down the board the sweeping strokes of times gone by & anecdotals about one's youth.

i don't know that apm cares to talk about what was offered, i know he didn't and instead gave ol'dave the once over with an ol'adage of hypocrisy.

i see that as dismissive, whether you or apm do - is completely up to each of you.

Ummm

Apr 27, 2016, 6:38 PM

To me what?

You said a lot there, but I'm still not sure:

Did APM run ol'dave down or imply anyone's thoughts on the matter were unworthy or wrong?

Do you agree that photo naturally makes one curious?

if the photo made you curious, then yes - it made one, you..

Apr 27, 2016, 6:44 PM

curious and maybe others, but not me - not sure how many times it will take for that to sink in so maybe read this a number of times and hopefully that helps.

and yes - absolutely, apm made no mention of the ideas or thoughts, going full plank on ol'dave and therefore dismissive.

if you see any of that differently, congratulations on your opinion.

Oh okay. Thanks for putting more context behind the "to me"

Apr 27, 2016, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Ummm ]

part. However, I do believe it was the first time you clarified that, so it doesn't seem clear where the, "not sure how many times it will take for that to sink in" comes about, but yes it helps clarify that you personally don't find that photo, or more precisely it's background, intriguing. Something tells me you now know what's it's about though ;)

As far as background, I think APM's citing that one should mind the plank in his own eye before pointing towards others is fair, as it is with anyone, and again I don't think either of the stances by either the doctor or the students is wrong or unworthy. Did APM specifically mean to discredit one over the other, or simply look for balance?

So if I may, for the record, clarify that, yes, you do feel APM ran Dr Woodard down, and yes, you do feel APM implied one of the sides are were unworthy and/or wrong.

But still, its not clear, do you agree or disagree that photo naturally makes one curious, in gneral terms? Not you, not me, just generally speaking. A majority, per se.

sorry, but i can't type any slower - no offense, but you

Apr 27, 2016, 7:33 PM

not getting it is on you.

and for the record, it's a nice shirt, but the glasses are tragic - other than that, the photo is bereft of interest to me. maybe you can find a group that feels as you do, since you seemed worried about others? me, not in the least concerned, but am glad others have an opinion and hope they possess the self-worth to offer it.

frankly, this all has been difficult for you, but one last time - apm avoided what the good professor had to offer and instead ran the man down, therefore being dismissive of ol'dave's thoughts, ideals and/or painting them unworthy of consideration.

if you agree with apm, that's wonderful - truly.

What the _______? I don't get what you're thinking here or

Apr 29, 2016, 5:44 PM

where you're getting this stuff. What are you arguing?

While I respect Dr. Woodard in many ways, he would be well-advised to mind the plank in his own eye (dude has a history of twice assaulting students on campus - look it up) before pointing to the speck in another's.

I am NOT siding with the protesters. Just saying ol'Dave has enough of his own problems without getting up in the business of others'.

From APM's words, he didn't run the guy down. He didn't take sides. Did he? And neither am I.

I just don't see it, and nothing wrong with stating people should mind the plank in their own eye before pointing to the speck in another's. That's biblical (if you care) and common sense really. APM certainly didn't attack the guy, did he? Not sure why you're insisting on the "dismissive" angle, but regardless he didn't say Woodard's comments were unworthy, and even if you somehow read that it doesn't equate to running someone down. Does it?

A mug shot of a professor piques interest. Period. If it were a gamecock professor you'd be on it like white on rice. Why deny it? It's pretty obvious..much more than just his shirt (LOL), and like I said I'm pretty certain you looked it up and know exactly what that mugshot is about. Right? You got curious, right?

it's obvious you don't get it, never will & i'm comfortable

Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 PM

with your ignorance on it, any or all, although i pray one day you will be too - comfortable that is, but of that peace for you i'm not hopeful.

welcome back, stanley . we both should know one thing for sure - you are not supposed to be here. you are angry and misguided, driven over the edge so easily when others don't see it "your way". that's too bad, but it's led to how many of your users deleted over the years? i know i've lost track. 50? more? iranian taxi driver was my favorite, which one was yours?

anyway, enjoy all the pictures in the great big world that pique your interest, but no amount of your crying, whining, rolling around on the ground, stomping your feet will ever change that for me and ever is a very long time.

goodbye, stanley - maybe if you choose defense less in the future, it will free up needed time you could desperately use in group or individual session?

@B-Meist

Unreal.

Apr 29, 2016, 6:04 PM

So by your opinion APM is running down the professor? Can you expand on that please?

Did you google what that mug shot was all about? Be honest, if you can.

no need, it's clear you're incapable & has been for years.

Apr 29, 2016, 6:18 PM

good luck, stanley and goodbye.

@B-Meist

Point was said professor has been arrested for assault...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:53 PM [ in reply to ok, you don't follow... ]

and by what some other posters have posted about his behavior in class, he freaks out on students and storms out of the classroom. So by what these people said, who have had interactions with him, he has anger management issues.

thanks, but none of the mud being slung at ol'dave

Apr 27, 2016, 7:04 PM

has gone unnoticed, it played a starring role in the exercise.

Re: Point was said professor has been arrested for assault...

Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Point was said professor has been arrested for assault... ]

Re: How'd I know the prof in question would be ol'Dave?

Apr 27, 2016, 6:17 PM [ in reply to How'd I know the prof in question would be ol'Dave? ]

Where is the record of Dr Woodard assaulting students? I just want to show it to someone.

There isn't one. It's an ad hominem attack

Apr 27, 2016, 6:33 PM

The officer in question was later let go by the police department for multiple harassing arrests, including this one.

I'm not sure AWP's motives, but I'm certain his facts are wrong.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Officer "let go"... Why wasn't HE prosecuted...?***

Apr 27, 2016, 7:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have any idea how our founding fathers acted?

Apr 27, 2016, 6:35 PM [ in reply to How'd I know the prof in question would be ol'Dave? ]

Moral character is not related to wisdom or truthfulness. Bad deeds don't negate an opinion. It takes honest, unbiased evaluation to do that. It's something you won't find in any political arena.

If the victims of the assault were all black then your point might be valid. Elsewise, it's not applicable to this subject exercise.

Did the guy fail black students or treat them differently than others?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is commonplace at all universities now

Apr 27, 2016, 12:35 PM

The "me first," respect my feelings, and participation trophy generation is coming of age. It started with the Ivy League schools, and it has slowly come to major state schools. It won't go away unless the media ignores these things most of the time. I realize occasionally there are real issues to be addressed.

as a former student, I can confirm that there are real

Apr 27, 2016, 12:42 PM

issues that need to be addressed. unfortunately, the modern way of addressing real issues is to give everyone a separate corner but still yet tell everyone to play nice when no one is actually playing together at all... I applaud Dr. Clements for being a leader to get tensions quelled without being dismissive. He will always act in the best interest of the University, which is really what everyone wants despite the current rhetoric...

So what are the real issues that need to be addressed?***

Apr 27, 2016, 12:45 PM

I would think that the huge elephant in the room here is

Apr 27, 2016, 2:33 PM

the lack of diversity at Clemson.

Now, that being said, you just can't snap your fingers and become more diverse, especially, at a fairly conservative college in a rural setting where so many of the students are in engineering and agriculture majors.

Increasing diversity at Clemson is a huge challenge compared to most.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we advocating lowering admission standards to attract...

Apr 27, 2016, 6:40 PM

more minorities?

I have no solution but I know that throwing money at a problem fixes nothing but one's bank balance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the percentage of minority students at Clemson

Apr 28, 2016, 7:56 AM [ in reply to I would think that the huge elephant in the room here is ]

compared to the percentage of minority students who apply to Clemson every year?

I have no idea but think the challenge is to get

Apr 28, 2016, 11:50 AM

more minority students to apply who would qualify academically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So it's Clemson's fault that not enough minority students

Apr 28, 2016, 2:06 PM

who qualify apply?

I would rather spend effort/money raising the quality of education for all students who come to Clemson than on targeting people of certain races in order to artificially massage the race ratios.

Can we not trust minorities to make their own decisions on where they want to go to school and do what it takes to make it there? We already have race-based affirmative action with regards to admission.

Is there ever a point in which the individuals/families/society itself has any responsibility in the lack of diversity at certain schools?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you think they have been doing? Yours is not

Apr 28, 2016, 10:42 PM [ in reply to I have no idea but think the challenge is to get ]

a new idea.

Also, what is the average high school GPA and SAT score

Apr 29, 2016, 1:40 AM [ in reply to What is the percentage of minority students at Clemson ]

of minorities at Clemson, versus those of their white counterparts. It would be interesting to know, and would go a long way toward determining if preferential treatment is given to one group or another.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What is the percentage of minority students at Clemson

Apr 30, 2016, 12:11 PM [ in reply to What is the percentage of minority students at Clemson ]

What are their grades and test scores? That should be all that matters unless all schools are suppose to lower entrance requirements for special interest.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

So many Clemson students are in agriculture majors?!?

Apr 29, 2016, 1:31 AM [ in reply to I would think that the huge elephant in the room here is ]

Could have fooled me. Last I heard, it was a very small percentage of students compared to those majoring in business, science, engineering, and liberal arts.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: So what are the real issues that need to be addressed?***

Apr 27, 2016, 3:37 PM [ in reply to So what are the real issues that need to be addressed?*** ]

For one, be sure that no staff in admissions feels it is their personal responsibility to maintain any particular diversity ratio. There was a particular staff member who agreed with the segregationist opinions of Ben Tillman and felt they should hold in modern society. Their opinion accounted for racial and religious segregation long before 9/11...

Another would be to have departmental reviews of faculty to insure that there is a consensus on grading so that students are not seeking out the path of least resistance because certain faculty have demonstrated prejudicial opinions about what determines the level of success achieved by students. If all faculty is on the same page, students will truly be taking the class rather than taking the faculty because of their concern that there won't be equality in grading.

So the real issues on campus are that

Apr 28, 2016, 8:05 AM

there's a racist person in admissions, and that different professors grade differently? Or are you implying that certain professors don't give consistent grades based on the color of the students' skin?

Re: So the real issues on campus are that

Apr 28, 2016, 8:33 AM

We should definitely fire that guy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we're going to fire that guy

Apr 28, 2016, 9:14 AM

then I hope his name is Brad Brownell. Fingers crossed....

If we fire all the white professor who won't yield...

Apr 28, 2016, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So the real issues on campus are that ]

to race considerations it's likely the percentage difference between the # of minorities enrolled and the # of minority students who graduate will increase.

My son tells me that Greenville Tech teachers/professors lean toward 'helping,' minority students along. I'd say the professors at Clemson are much aware that any significant or unsubstantiated difference which favors whites over minorities will generate lawsuits which embarrass Clemson University and all it's students, graduates and associates.

Seems like if that was happening the courts would settle the issue and not the general public.

Re: If we fire all the white professor who won't yield...

Apr 28, 2016, 9:27 PM

I was trying to make a funny about firing the mythical guy in admissions who is keeping out all the minorities... Sorry for the confusion.

My bad.

Apr 29, 2016, 9:23 AM

If I read the news I would have known.

Re: as a former student, I can confirm that there are real

Apr 27, 2016, 12:56 PM [ in reply to as a former student, I can confirm that there are real ]

So as a former student, did you graduate or did you leave because you didn't feel safe ?

Apr 27, 2016, 1:58 PM

To be honest, I had to demonstrate more than once that there was more to be afraid of me as opposed to me being afraid for my safety... So, please infer from this that I did encounter more than one negative stereotype based on no reason other than the skin I dwell in...

Agreed. Im white and had the same problem.***

Apr 27, 2016, 2:20 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Agreed. Im white and had the same problem.***

Apr 27, 2016, 4:48 PM

so, to dig a little deeper, were the stereotypes applied to you based on a preconceived notion that you were born and raised by a single, druggie, prostituting mom (not knowing who your dad is) with no morals, given to drug use and criminal behavior, and couldn't possibly have gotten admitted by Clemson as a National Honor Society member and an engineering department scholarship recipient? But rather, you MUST have been a scholarship athlete admitted only because Danny Ford or Cliff Ellis wanted you on the team??

wow, we must SURELY be brothers from other mother's...

Because of the color of my skin, I've been accused of being

Apr 28, 2016, 2:30 PM

incapable of understanding real suffering. I've been accused to being incapable of self-awareness because of my skin color. I've been accused of being fundamentally dishonest specifically because of my skin color. I've been told that my opinion is invalid on certain topics because of the color of my skin. I've been associated with "part of the problem in American society" because I did not apologize for what a few people who share my skin color did.

Also, based on the color of my skin, I was told that I could not play on a certain basketball court in middle school. As a child, I was told by the mother of a friend, that it would be best for me not to attend a friend's birthday party because I would be the only white kid there. She said it was for my own good and tried to put it nicely.

I don't feel like a victim though. I'm just a person who has encountered ignorance, like anyone else. There are advantages and disadvantages of everything. Being black, these days, has certain advantages that being other races do not have. Hell, even I would probably hire a black guy over a white guy if they were completely equally qualified. I realize that's messed up, but I would want to check that box while I could.

Black Republicans are worth their weight in gold. Black college students are like blue ribbons for elite universities. There is soooooo much societal pressure to invest resources to help Black people get on an equal footing. So much so that it is actually considered racist to bring up black on black crime... as if it's some sort of conspiracy made up by racist white people. It's also to the point that whenever a black person is shot by a cop, it is assumed it is because of the person's skin. And the reason that more blacks per capita are in prison than other races? It's merely assumed because the system is racist.

It's enough to frustrate people who really do believe in total equality and want nothing more than for black people to be treated fairly. But groups like BLM are not calling for social justice or fairness. They are promoting themselves and those people like them to the point of disproportionate decision-making power based on unprovable, racist accusations of those different than them.

What MLK did for this country made it better, clearly. What BLM is doing is making it worse.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2016, 12:57 PM [ in reply to as a former student, I can confirm that there are real ]

Please tell me some of these real issues.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

GET IN LINE, I ASKED FIRST!***

Apr 27, 2016, 1:00 PM

Re: Still no posting of the "real issues?" Crickets***

Apr 27, 2016, 1:49 PM

Apr 27, 2016, 1:54 PM

As a grown man and busy business professional, I'll respond with a few issues when it is prudent for me... Don't worry, the system will notify you that I did respond...

What's it like up there, Knuck?

Apr 27, 2016, 1:59 PM

On top of your high horse?

The view is beautiful, I recommend a high horse

Apr 27, 2016, 2:02 PM

For anyone who can climb up on it and ride... ??

Apr 27, 2016, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Still no posting of the "real issues?" Crickets*** ]

mmmmmmm... i'm wondering if i may have encountered you when i was on campus, but nonetheless, here ya go:

For one, be sure that no staff in admissions feels it is their personal responsibility to maintain any particular diversity ratio. There was a particular staff member who agreed with the segregationist opinions of Ben Tillman and felt they should hold in modern society. Their opinion accounted for racial and religious segregation long before 9/11...

Another would be to have departmental reviews of faculty to insure that there is a consensus on grading so that students are not seeking out the path of least resistance because certain faculty have demonstrated prejudicial opinions about what determines the level of success achieved by students. If all faculty is on the same page, students will truly be taking the class rather than taking the faculty because of their concern that there won't be equality in grading.

Apr 27, 2016, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: as a former student, I can confirm that there are real ]

Are you serious? You're under the belief that someone

Apr 27, 2016, 4:09 PM

in Clemson's Admissions Department actually gave preference to white students? I find that hard to believe. Do you have anymore info. You could tmail it to me.

Re: Are you serious? You're under the belief that someone

Apr 27, 2016, 4:16 PM

I didn't say that they did give preferential treatment because that I don't know, but I do know exactly what I heard, me in the first person hearing it with my own ears... no belief needed except to believe what my ears heard. Please reread my comment and stick with what is written, I am not making any innuendo, just the facts of that moment.

You certainly implied that when you said this?

Apr 27, 2016, 5:05 PM

"For one, be sure that no staff in admissions feels it is their personal responsibility to maintain any particular diversity ratio. There was a particular staff member who agreed with the segregationist opinions of Ben Tillman and felt they should hold in modern society."

Right?

Re: You certainly implied that when you said this?

Apr 27, 2016, 5:16 PM

did i not clarify this for you in my previous response? but if you must have deeper clarity, please note that i stated that they held an opinion, i did not state that they acted upon that opinion, although, i could make an assumption that they did, but i didn't make the assumption nor did i state that particular non-thought as fact... are you clear now?

Here is an issue. Why did you change your screen name from..

Apr 27, 2016, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: as a former student, I can confirm that there are real ]

clemtiger117 to Clemalum07? That's an issue that many posters would like to see you address.

Re: Here is an issue. Why did you change your screen name from..

Apr 28, 2016, 9:04 AM

Ive already answered that before little bigot.

^^^^The Coward clemtiger117^^^^***

Apr 28, 2016, 9:47 AM

Re: ^^^^The Coward clemtiger117^^^^***

Apr 28, 2016, 12:13 PM

When have I ever attempted to say differently?

Are you just spewing nothing but BS again?

Looks like it... Now i just wait for more of your homophobic bigotted slurs to come my way.

Nice sig btw doesnt bother me one bit. I have also never hidden the fact that I play games. Its cute you had to find a quote from probably 5 or so years ago. I havent played SWTOR in years. I am currently playing Rocket League, Heroes of the Storm, and Battlefield on occasion.

Shows just how close minded and bigoted you really are if you thinking being a gamer is some sorta insult.

Really sad how hate filled you are.

Guess what little buddy I also played Football, Baseball, and Basketball in high school also played intramural sports at clemson and still on occasion play in a few leagues here in Charleston.

Message was edited by: Clemalum07®

Re: ^^^^The Coward clemtiger117^^^^***

Apr 28, 2016, 12:17 PM [ in reply to ^^^^The Coward clemtiger117^^^^*** ]

Holy #### I just realized you edited your Stronger than the average male pathetic post...

That is great.. and you have the gal to call someone else a coward.

He took too long to address it, no matter what your view on it is...

Apr 27, 2016, 4:38 PM [ in reply to as a former student, I can confirm that there are real ]

He should have spoke with them by the third day. Missouri had an incident like this and it turned into a mess for that school and their delayed reaction to the events. Like I said, this isn't about your viewpoint on the situation, it's about making sure it doesn't turn into bad PR for Clemson and have the negative effect that it did on Mizzou

and the time he took to address it PUBLICLY

Apr 27, 2016, 5:05 PM

is a concern that only you seem to have, so which viewpoint is most important; that the issue gets resolved with the best interest of Clemson intact or that Clemson nips a PR issue in the bud? it seems the most important viewpoint is the one held by the viewer...

Both are equally important....

Apr 27, 2016, 5:27 PM

My point was the amount of time he took to address the protestors, not how or what way the issue was resolved. In other words he could have met with them earlier, that doesn't mean the issue has to be resolved at the moment President Clements spoke with the protestors.

Re: Clemson professor rebukes protesters’ ‘shallow, narrow, unin

Apr 27, 2016, 12:51 PM

Sadly this Professor will probably be fired for going against the SJW cult.

Nah. He assaulted a police officer.

Apr 27, 2016, 12:54 PM

A few years back. He gets away with whatever he wants at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2016, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson professor rebukes protesters’ ‘shallow, narrow, unin ]

I consider myself to quite liberal. And disagreed with a lot of his views. But he's a person who deserves respect. I was a political science major and obviously, Dr. Woodard is one of the greatest political minds not only at our institution but in academia. He's tenured and taking a Woodard class is pretty much a requisite to really claim you got a po Sci degree at Clemson. He will only be gone through his own decision or if death beats him to it.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't realize the University had folded like a beach

Apr 27, 2016, 12:57 PM

chair.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woodard's response

Apr 27, 2016, 2:12 PM

I wasn't a Woodard disciple as a Political Science major at Clemson. Now, I see a lot of wisdom in his words and am thankful he isn't afraid to speak up and set the record straight.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

All of this sort of reminds me of the late 60's

Apr 27, 2016, 3:29 PM

My Dad was horrified that young people didn't automatically accept what the government told them...particularly the Vietnam War. He just couldn't wrap his mind around the idea that the cultural "status quo" frequently and routinely changes over time. His father, my grandfather who was born in 1900, could not for the life of him understand why Prohibition was ever repealed.

People hate change.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

Stephen Hawking

Re: All of this sort of reminds me of the late 60's

Apr 27, 2016, 3:38 PM

"Because it is predestined that they look." Tigerluvr 2016...... To not look throws the whole scheme out the window.

Re: All of this sort of reminds me of the late 60's

Apr 27, 2016, 5:59 PM

> "Because it is predestined that they look." Tigerluvr
> 2016...... To not look throws the whole scheme out
> the window.

Lol....excellent point! :) <----(predestined happy face)

and yet, you turned out all right?***

Apr 27, 2016, 4:04 PM [ in reply to All of this sort of reminds me of the late 60's ]

Re: and yet, you turned out all right?***

Apr 27, 2016, 6:02 PM

If you ask me, yeah....if you ask my wife, not so much.

Happy Weds DSP!

Without reading any of the comments

Apr 27, 2016, 3:51 PM

I can tell you right away that there's no way they reflect well on Clemson.

Subject lines and screen names tells it all, eh? LOL

Apr 27, 2016, 4:09 PM

There are a few that are restrained and/or reasonable...

look out beloooooooooooooowwww... LOL***

Apr 27, 2016, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Without reading any of the comments ]

That's funny him bringing up MLK, when MLK participated...

Apr 27, 2016, 4:12 PM

in these same kind of protest. Guess this Professor missed these MLK quotes(and missed out on MLK's story and message):

-An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere

-A riot is the language of the unheard

-Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter

- I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without first having spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today: my own government.

-Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn

-When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism and militarism are incapable of being conquered.

- I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective—the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the
guaranteed income

- [W]e are saying that something is wrong … with capitalism…. There must be better distribution of wealth and maybe America must move toward a democratic socialism. Call it what you may, call it democracy, or call it democratic socialism, but there must be a better distribution of wealth within this country for all of God’s children.

-Why is equality to assiduously avoided? Why does white America delude itself , and how does it rationalize the evil it retains?
The majority of white Americans consider themselves sincerely committed to justice for the Negro. They believe that American society is essentially hospitable to fair play and to steady growth toward a middle-class Utopia embodying racial harmony. But unfortunately this is a fantasy of self-deception and comfortable vanity.

Looks like this Professor needs to read a ton of books on MLK and what he represented. If MLK was around today he would support the students

Re: That's funny him bringing up MLK, when MLK participated...

Apr 27, 2016, 5:07 PM

So we both agree that any form of institutionalized discrimination is bad, correct?

Here's a brief list of actual Gov't sponsored discrimination currently taking place in America:

1) Admission standards to colleges/universities to undergraduate and graduate school

2) Student loans

3) Home loans

4) Gov't contracts (those business owners seeking to win gov't contracts/bids)

5) Gov't jobs

6) Gov't contracting jobs (job applicants for any business that contacts with the Gov't)

These are just a few off the top of my head (not meant to be an all-inclusive list).

In each example minority applicants are given preferential treatment based strictly on race, over white applicants. These are actual examples of currently sanctioned discriminatory policies.

Can you give me even one example of any sanctioned discrimination of your own? I'd be interested where all of the "alleged" discrimination is that you're referring to.

I'll take it a step further. The ONLY sanctioned discrimination in The United States is against white people (see above for references). Where are your examples?

What in the blue hell are you talking about?....

Apr 27, 2016, 6:01 PM

What does your reply have to with anything with my post? I pointed out it was silly to bring up MLK, when MLK did the exact same thing. I didn't mention a thing about what you posted. But I will give a mini reply to what you posted. You're delusional if you think there is sanctioned discrimination against white people. Everything you listed are things that favor white people, especially in the loan category. And how can there be preferential treatment toward black people, when black males only make up 5.5 percent of college students ( http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/04/10/troubling-statistics-for-african-american-males-in-the-classroom/ ), while white male students make up 27% of college students. So ain't no preferential treatment going on. And here is an article with statistics blowing your argument away. And this is the last I will post on it, just wanted to give some facts to a delusional person. So read it, but you won't get a further response from me.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/race-gap-narrows-in-college-enrollment-but-not-in-graduation/

Can you not consider both articles and do just a...

Apr 27, 2016, 7:24 PM

smidgeon of critical thinking?

Re: What in the blue hell are you talking about?....

Apr 30, 2016, 11:59 AM [ in reply to What in the blue hell are you talking about?.... ]

And you don't think this has anything to do with the the actual grades or test scores all students have. Admission should be based solely on test scores. No one should get an exemption because of color. That should be everything in life. If you have the better qualifications and are better equipped for the job you should get the job, again regardless of color. It is suppose to be equal rights for everyone i.e. Color, gender, sexual orientation not special rights

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dr. Woodard was a former prof of mine. He's a nice guy, but

Apr 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

he's also deeply entrenched in Republican ideology. What I mean by that is that he isn't "conservative" in a traditional sense of the word. He is Republican, with all that that currently implies.

So,

Apr 27, 2016, 7:26 PM

he's like-minded with the party which freed the slaves?

Go on, please tell us what "Republican, with all that that

Apr 28, 2016, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Dr. Woodard was a former prof of mine. He's a nice guy, but ]

currently implies" actually implies. Can't wait to hear this...

You do know the Washington times is owned by the Moonies...

Apr 27, 2016, 4:16 PM

So I guess Sun Myung Moon is your messiah. Hahaha unbelievable that people read a paper owned by cult

But I thought all college professors were bleeding heart liberals...

Apr 27, 2016, 4:31 PM

Isn't that what the Monnie owned Washington times always claim

Re: But I thought all college professors were bleeding heart liberals...

Apr 28, 2016, 9:04 AM

You are a sad little bigot.

Best prof. & best class I had at Clemson, hands down

Apr 27, 2016, 7:57 PM

Whatever hating on "ole Dave" there may be on this thread -- dude was a great teacher.

Just thought I might throw some different light on the subject.

Apr 27, 2016, 8:42 PM

Good, people need rebuking every once in a while

Thank God some have the courage to speak out against this

Apr 27, 2016, 9:07 PM

nonsense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Woodard is an a$$, has always been an a$$,

Apr 28, 2016, 7:17 AM

and will always be an a$$. He is a mouthpiece for ultraconservatives in SC and that he has only scorn for the protesters is neither surprising nor worthy of attention.

I guess it's a measure of my "out of touchedness" ...

Apr 28, 2016, 7:51 AM

...to note that I graduated in Ply Sci before "Ole Dave" even began teaching at Clemson. If he's old, I shudder to think what that makes me.

That said, we had some arch-conservative minds in the department at the time ... but they were willing to debate, if you could keep up and accede the point that you were likely going to lose. They were more interested in having you clearly make your point and defend it over belittling.

I stand in agreement with Woodard's position, that vague personal agendas cannot dictate university decision. But I would then question if, in minimizing the efforts of Dr. King and the Civil Rights leaders of the 60s, he was not doing exactly what he accused the students of?

I get it ... it's trendy to protest now. It gives a sense of purpose to the fre-floating sense of injustice fomented by insecurity over everything from a future job to the state of the world. Heck, I rode with the tractorcades, clogging the highways of Georgia rather than the doors of Sikes Hall. It's good for the soul.

Rather than belittle, though, it would behoove folks to channel the energy of that discontent into effective change. Don't casigate. Show them how to change the world ... unless change is not what you want.

And if that's the case, you'll only end up with more protest, more dissonance.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No surprise, with robertn leading

Apr 28, 2016, 10:57 AM

Robertn's absence has been obvious, yet welcomed.

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 115
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic