Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If there is an 8 team playoff, what would the incentive be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

If there is an 8 team playoff, what would the incentive be

Dec 13, 2018, 6:42 PM

for a team to schedule a meaningful out of conference game at the beginning of the year? Would Clemson and Tex A&M had a home and home?

Would the good cross conference match-ups become less common?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

1. An at-large spot should you trip up in conference.

Dec 13, 2018, 6:58 PM

2. The potential to host a 1st round game as a top 4 team.
3. The fact that you can lose this tough game but still take care of business in conference to make it in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that point of view, but if you already have

Dec 13, 2018, 7:13 PM

another Power 5 game, the real object becomes to simply win your conference. Nothing else is needed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

What is wrong with that ?

Dec 13, 2018, 7:17 PM

Would make winning your conference the most important thing through 13 games. How is that bad football?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nothing. But it could make bigger matchups less

Dec 13, 2018, 7:46 PM

necessary at the beginning of the year.

Uh, it makes college football more boring.***

Dec 13, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to What is wrong with that ? ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Certainly winning the conference is paramount, but

Dec 13, 2018, 9:48 PM [ in reply to I understand that point of view, but if you already have ]

having the type of SOR to gain a home game - a big advantage - or an at-large spot as a runner-up would rely heavily on quality OOC games. On the flip side, there's less to fear from an OOC loss because the conference angle is still there. I actually feel like it would boost the frequency of OOC games rather than take away from them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If there is an 8 team playoff, what would the incentive be

Dec 13, 2018, 7:09 PM

As soon as someone comes up with a plan that guarantees that the 8 team playoff makes MORE MONEY than the current plan system (4 team playoff and 30 or so bowl games) then it will happen. Never underestimate humans capacity for greed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The very same thing that motivates teams now...$$$

Dec 13, 2018, 7:13 PM

Yes.. clemson and Texas a&m would still have a home and home.

These games are scheduled so far in advance that you never know if it will help. Bama certainly doesn't need to play Louisville to get into the CFP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 13, 2018, 7:17 PM

If we go to an 8 team playoff, does that make the rest of the bowls less important? Since the CFP started, we started having star not playing bowls to begin prep for the NFL draft. If we go to 8 teams, will more stars skip bowl games?

Tell me which bowl actually matters ?

Dec 13, 2018, 7:23 PM

I count 2.

Why should the fear of players sitting out dictate how the national championship should work.

Re: Tell me which bowl actually matters ?

Dec 13, 2018, 7:24 PM

Other bowls/teams make less $

Re: Tell me which bowl actually matters ?

Dec 13, 2018, 7:30 PM

Also, more than two players

https://nesn.com/2018/12/whos-in-whos-out-heres-list-of-major-players-skipping-bowl-games/

Didn't answer my question..

Dec 13, 2018, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell me which bowl actually matters ? ]

Which bowls matter right now ?..

I count 2.. orange and cotton.

Please tell me which other bowls actually matter right now in a 4 team playoff.

2.. the rest don't.

Heck adding more may generate more money. People will go to games that actually matter.

8 Team would mean 2 more bowls that matter... more money.

10 team, 2 more bowls that actually matter..

Re: Didn't answer my question..

Dec 13, 2018, 7:46 PM

I was talking about the other 30 or so non-CFP bowls. Do the ratings for the Camping bowl go down (ie, less money) since Grier is not playing. Is that less money for WVU and NC State, and their conferences? Multiply that money loss by 30.

Dec 13, 2018, 9:46 PM

What’s the incentive now? If you are in a power 5 conference and go undefeated you are in. Why play a challenging game?

The SEC doesn’t even have to win all their games or play anyone OOC. If they finish with 1 loss they are in.

At least 8 teams will make scheduling a big matchup less risky. If I can lose a couple games and still have a shot then I want to test my team early to prepare them for conference play.

null

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic