Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was really thinking of voting for Pat McCrory until
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

I was really thinking of voting for Pat McCrory until

Aug 26, 2016, 11:20 AM

he started running ads saying he raised teacher pay. I thought the guy was suppose to be Conservative! $50k average? ###, do we pay for the coloring books too?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn't live in Charlotte during his glory years,

Aug 26, 2016, 11:27 AM

or you'd have already known he was't a conservative, at least not a fiscal one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, I've heard many say that.

Aug 26, 2016, 12:48 PM

still, he had to be better than the current crop here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true......true.***

Aug 26, 2016, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those greedy teachers.***

Aug 26, 2016, 11:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's nothing wrong with greed***

Aug 26, 2016, 12:45 PM

Re: there's nothing wrong with greed***

Aug 26, 2016, 2:12 PM

yes there is, lots and lots of things wrong with it

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure it's a cardinal sin.***

Aug 26, 2016, 2:14 PM [ in reply to there's nothing wrong with greed*** ]

Aug 27, 2016, 6:56 AM [ in reply to there's nothing wrong with greed*** ]

Bet this considers himself a Christian, too.. lol!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2016, 6:57 AM

this guy*

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Raising teacher pay in and of itself is not liberal...

Aug 26, 2016, 12:00 PM

or conservative.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didnt say it was. Note, I also cited the average

Aug 26, 2016, 12:42 PM

which seems a bit high.

The increase brings it to about $50k, right?...

Aug 26, 2016, 1:59 PM

That sounds about right to me. Not sure what the standard deviation is, but based on how long some teachers teach, it's probably pretty high.

Teaching is a tough job and recruiting/retaining quality teachers can be tough in a lot of places and NC has some expensive places to live.

So how much should teacher pay average?***

Aug 26, 2016, 12:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So how much should teacher pay average?***

Aug 26, 2016, 12:54 PM

$35-45k, given they have every Holiday and about 60 days or so in the Summer.

I do not feel bad for teachers. You cannot force me into feeling sorry for them. They chose that profession and choose to sit on their ### all summer and post on Facebook, when they could be working and making more money.

/rant

exactly. also, it should be demeaning to a

Aug 26, 2016, 1:09 PM

High School AP Calculus teacher to get paid the same as a 4k teacher.

So if that's the average, then how low should the low...

Aug 26, 2016, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So how much should teacher pay average?*** ]

end be?

Re: So how much should teacher pay average?***

Aug 26, 2016, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So how much should teacher pay average?*** ]

Nor do I feel sorry for them, just as I don't feel sorry for kids who attend private colleges who end up with 150k of debt and a philosophy major.

And you left off that many teachers also have pension benefits not included in salaries.

That being said, you typically get what you pay for. Pay cr@p then you get cr@p teachers all else being equal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's interesting.

Aug 26, 2016, 2:14 PM

I had some phenomenal teachers growing up, and I'm pretty sure they were paid crap.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: That's interesting.

Aug 26, 2016, 3:52 PM

If one can't paint with broad brushes on TigerNet, then where can one speak in generalities? Oh that's right, pretty much anywhere in the media.

I had a lot of great teachers in the public school system of NE Florida. My point was just that the pay needs to be reasonable. Its great that someone wants to be a teacher for 100% non monetary reasons. But then the pool of qualified teachers is greatly reduced. And my other point is I have no idea about teacher compensation as it exists today. But I am a fan of education.

Could it possibly be the opposite?

Aug 26, 2016, 3:55 PM

I ask because I don't know, but what if the pay were significantly higher? Could we possibly risk people entering the profession for the wrong reasons (i.e., just for the money?)

Perhaps the lower salaries help ensure that people truly committed to the job enter the profession.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Could it possibly be the opposite?

Aug 26, 2016, 8:43 PM

Excellent point - it very well could. Now for more Bucs v Browns. Only a week to go before some normalcy returns.

The thing about teachers, with the benefits they get

Aug 26, 2016, 2:55 PM [ in reply to So how much should teacher pay average?*** ]

if they're my age (59) and haven't already retired, they did something really wrong.

How so?***

Aug 26, 2016, 2:58 PM

Re: How so?***

Aug 26, 2016, 3:19 PM

Pension (not taxed in NC when others are),401K, medical, carry over sick days, summer days off, out for Christmas, job security.

Hey, I don't want to be a teacher, it's not as bad as they want you to think.

Re: How so?***

Aug 26, 2016, 3:29 PM

1. Pension - yes.

2. Who gives 401k to teachers along with pension? SC doesn't.

3. Medical - yes, but I don't think it's much different or better than other jobs. How is this special?

4. Sick days carry over but I understand that cashing them in will likely cause major problems for the teacher.

5. Summer days off aren't benefits. They aren't paid for their summer time. They're paid for the time they work and the government holds on to that money to deal the rest out over the summer.

6. Doesn't just about everyone get Christmas?

7. Job Security - Maybe in unionized states, but it's pretty easy to get rid of a teacher (or move them to make their lives miserable) in SC.

Are teachers really trying to make people think their life is terrible? I haven't seen that. That also doesn't explain how, with the above listed, a teacher has done something wrong if they haven't retired by 59. Hell... are that many Americans overall really retiring that early nowadays?

Something you may want to also consider

Aug 26, 2016, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: How so?*** ]

With a lot of people working various careers, they have the opportunity for advancement, promotions, and significant raises. That's not so with teachers. Salaries may gradually increase with a state-approved raise, and many districts give a small raise for each year the teacher is working. But to get any significant raise, teachers much either get a higher degree or enter administration.

That may make the path to quick retirement harder. You could get a promotion at a job and go up $10k in pay overnight. But a teacher who stays in the classroom will have to work about ten more years to see a $10k raise in their pay.

That's not saying anyone should "feel sorry for them." But pay increases are not easily attained without spending thousands for more school.

*must either***

Aug 26, 2016, 3:41 PM

i don't know if you could do enough for a teacher today***

Aug 26, 2016, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Something you may want to also consider ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was really thinking of voting for Pat McCrory until

Aug 26, 2016, 11:01 PM

McCrory and his gerrymandered minions have taken this state back 20 years.

He has almost single handedly made NC the laughing stock of the country.

Time for a change....any change.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic