Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson final regular season notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Nov 28, 2010, 9:17 PM

Clemson played eight consecutive eventual bowl eligible teams between September 18 and November 13, the most consecutive games against bowl eligible teams in school history. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson final regular season notes

Nov 28, 2010, 9:28 PM

good article but very very disappointing season

Nov 28, 2010, 9:46 PM

No doubt. 6-6 and at worst should have been 9-3; Auburn, BC, and FSU are all games where we led but couldn't put them away. Through the Hatfield and West years season after season was disappointing but in my opinion nothing like this. The difference being is that the expectation this year was to win whereas with Hatfield and West there were no expectations. The offense was pathetic. The defense kept us in every game but the offense continuously failed to produce. Even last night 1/2 of the coots points were given to them by Clemson mistakes not related to the defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With stats that good and a record that bad...

Nov 28, 2010, 9:41 PM

..it can only mean one thing... terrible coaching. Game-time-decision-making killed us this year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

The stats are only good on one side of the ball...

Nov 29, 2010, 9:52 AM

Defense keeps you in games, but offense wins them. We had no offense this year without Ellington.

null

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda

Nov 28, 2010, 9:50 PM

It all means the same thing: nothing.

All of the positive notes, none of the bad...

Nov 28, 2010, 9:52 PM

How about some statistics on our special teams and offense?

Could have saved time by saying

Nov 28, 2010, 9:58 PM

Clemson finished an abysmal 6-6. Defense was good. Offense and Special Teams sucked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could have saved time by saying

Nov 28, 2010, 9:59 PM

...in a nutshell

Re: Could have saved time by saying

Nov 28, 2010, 10:40 PM

sounds about right to me.

Only one part of the special teams sucked...

Nov 29, 2010, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Could have saved time by saying ]

There are more to special teams than kicking field goals. Yes, the FG team sucked. Yes, the bad snap on the punt hurt. But on the whole season, punt team, punt return, kick team, and kick return all played very well.

null

Positive PR spin to make you feel good about not firing Dabo

Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 PM

This positive-PR-spin article sounds like it came straight from Terry Don Phillips to make Clemson fans feel good about TDP having hired an incompetent head coach and OC that no other FBS team in the country would hire for those positions.

Here are the other stats they failed to mention...
* Clemson went 2-6 vs. teams that finished with a winning record.
* Clemson's offense ranks 115th in red zone offense.
* Clemson's offense ranks 87th in total offense & scoring offense.
* Kyle Parker ranks 88th in pass efficiency.
* Clemson lost two consecutive games to SCar for the 1st time since 1970.
* Clemson had the most regular-season losses since 1998.
* Clemson lost to 3 teams (SCar, BC, & UNC) that had lower-ranked player-talent on the field. (Out-coached.)
* Clemson lost to all three teams that had equivalent (FSU) or superior (Miami & Auburn) player-talent on the field.

Comparisons of on-field player talent for reference:http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/22/1826017/clemson-and-south-carolina-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/15/1812404/clemson-wake-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/9/1800323/clemson-florida-state-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/3/1792747/clemson-and-nc-state-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/10/26/1774489/recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-boston-college

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/10/18/1757146/recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-georgia-tech

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/10/12/1745575/clemson-maryland-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/10/4/1728503/clemson-and-north-carolina-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/9/27/1705363/clemson-and-miami-recruiting-comparison

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/9/17/1695669/clemson-and-auburn-recruiting

Dabo doesn't deserve to be fired after only 2 seasons!!

Nov 29, 2010, 9:55 AM

3 is a bare minimum before taking any action like that, unless there were some off-the-field things going on, which isn't the case here.

Wake up folks... this is the real world. College football coaches need at least 3 years (and usually 4) to really make a fair assessment of their abilities.

null

Why? Is Dabo showing competence or improvement? NO!!!

Nov 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

You say that college football coaches deserve at least 3 years to prove themselves, but that's the standard when you actually hire a proven head coach or coordinator. Clemson took a huge gamble in promoting an unproven position coach to head coach. No FBS team in the country would have hired Dabo to be head coach. No decent FBS team would hire him to be head coach now. So why is he good enough for a tradition-rich, big-time football school like Clemson? Because you like his attitude? TDP took a gamble and he failed.

I like Dabo. But he's in over his head. Some day Dabo may become a good head coach thanks to Clemson's generous on-the-job training program, but he's not now. Let's cut him loose and hire him back if he ever proves himself to be a good coach. In the meantime let's hire somebody who has already proven themselves to be a good coach.

Does anybody (who watches a lot of college football other than Clemson football) watch Clemson and think that Clemson is a well coached team? I watch a LOT of college football and it's obvious to me that this is a poorly coached team. Bad personnel decisions. Bad game-planning on offense. Bad play-calling on offense. Bad use of scholarships. Some bad position-coaching. It's one thing when you play a good, well coached game and lose due to superior player-talent. But Clemson takes superior player-talent and loses due to inferior coaching. Solve the problem. Hire a real coach.

Re: Why? Is Dabo showing competence or improvement? NO!!!

Nov 29, 2010, 4:25 PM

I think the key words, out of everything you said, are "I watch a LOT of college football and...".

Armchair QB's love to proclaim their "exact assessment" of a program based on their extensive couch time, but in the land of reality, your proclamation carries no weight.

Most of the Clemson faithful would disagree with your bashing of Dabo, the positions coaches, personnel changes, etc...

And most WOULD agree that the offensive play selection has been questionable at best. Execution has been very poor.

It isn't productive to call for the heads of people who live in the real world and make actual decisions about our football program. Much more goes into it than they show you on television.

I'm not making excuses for the performance of our team, but you can't expect overnight turnarounds for a culture that was as damaged as Clemson's was after Bowden defected.

The vocal minority who constantly shout for the heads of our coaches make our school look bad and make themselves look like fools.

Go hire a has-been big name coach and in two years you can call for his head when he hasn't won the natty yet.

Well if you don't trust my judgment, look at Dabo's results.

Nov 29, 2010, 7:11 PM

Can you point to any concrete improvement that indicates that your armchair opinion is any better than mine and that Dabo is a keeper? At least I backed my opinion with data.

In the land of reality, results matter. In the land of BS you can make immeasurable excuses all day long about why a 6-6 coach (that no other FBS school would hire to be HC) is good enough.

Do you have any data to support the idea that you're in the majority of people who would rather have Dabo than a proven, successful coach, or is that just another opinion of yours that isn't supported by any data?

You clami that you can't turn the culture around overnight. Then why was Gene Chizik able to do that at Auburn? Why was Urban Meyer able to do it at Utah & Florida? Why was Chris Peterson able to do it at Boise State? Are those guys no better at coaching than Dabo? Isn't there anybody out there who could do a better job than Dabo?

Do you think it's good coaching when you lose to 3 teams that have inferior player-talent?

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to hire & keep Napier?

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to play Ashe & Dye over Hopkins and Brown?

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to evenly split carries between Ellington and Harper even though Ellington was far more productive?

Do you think Dabo has been smart with his scholarship allocation?

I would be interested to hear your answers to those questions.

Re: Well if you don't trust my judgment, look at Dabo's results.

Nov 30, 2010, 1:48 PM

Do you think it's good coaching when you lose to 3 teams that have inferior player-talent?

Inferior, based on what? Star ratings? How you perform on the field determines your actual "player-talent". 3 star guys play up to superior talent all the time. (Brown)

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to hire & keep Napier?

Initially, yes. Now, after much questionable play calling, lack of rhythm, and lack of production, not so much. Napier will be a good head coach some day.

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to play Ashe & Dye over Hopkins and Brown?

Performance in practice determines who starts. If Hopkins and Brown would have outperformed those guys in practice, they would have started.

Do you think Dabo made a good decision to evenly split carries between Ellington and Harper even though Ellington was far more productive?

Having multiple capable backs running out of the backfield has many advantages. Being that both possess different running styles, it gives multiple looks to the defense and can wear them down by the end of a game. This is why people hope to have a "stable" of running backs.

Do you think Dabo has been smart with his scholarship allocation?

What do you mean? You want Dabo to devote more scholarships to kickers?

I would be interested to hear your answers to those questions.

I hope this helps. I'm definitely not trying to stir you up, but I don't think it helps to call for the head coaches job every time they lose a game. And the positions coaches have been pretty good, so you shouldn't sully their names either.

I don't get your logic but thanks for answering.

Dec 1, 2010, 12:46 PM

I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I don't really get your logic on all the resonses.

I'm not saying star-rankings are perfect, but I'm using the SAME top two ranking services for BOTH Clemson AND all of its opponents over a span of 5 years. There might be some innacurate player ranks for Clemson or its opponents, but over FIVE YEARS that should all average out, unless you think there's some bias in the ranking systems that always ranks Clemson recruits higher than, say Georgia Tech recruits. (I might buy that argument for a far-north school like BC, but not for the rest of our opponents.) The funny thing is that most Dabo fans (not necessarily you) defend Dabo partly due to his ability to recruit based on the star-rankings (which I agree is one of his strengths) but then when Dabo detractors point out that he squanders the talent, then suddenly the star-rankings are an irrelevant measusurement.

I don't doubt that Dabo or Napier will be good coaches someday. But it disgusts me that a once-proud football program like Clemson has to suffer through their weak years of on-the-job training.

It was clear to me from the UNT game that Hopkins, McNeal, & Brown were better than Ashe or Dye. I think Dabo was just being loyal to his seniors. Neither of us can prove why Dabo (or Napier) made those personnel decisions, but the stats below tend to favor my opinion. But other freshman like AJ Green (UGA) and Julio Jones (Bama) started immediately and made huge impacts as true freshman, so if our coaches can't get our freshman ready to play in September, then that's bad coaching in my opinion.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/228/clemson-tigers

You didn't answer my question about Ellington and Harper. Obviously it's good to have a stable of backs. But is it smart to EVENLY split carries between your superstar playmaker (Ellington) who game-after-game consistently had more yards-per-carry and more point-per-carry than Harper (or Spiller for that matter)?

Dabo keeps kickers on scholarship who haven't earned it and who ride the bench. Do you think that's smart? Dabo doesn't use all of his scholarships so it's like the NCAA penalizing Clemson by taking away scholarships. Do you think that's smart?

Depsite ample star-power and years of player-turnover through graduation, Clemson's O-line has been weak with bad technique and missed assignments since Brad Scott has been coaching them. Clemson's receivers have been similarly weak. I think it's fair to point out that the position coaching is weak in some areas.

I don't call for the coaches heads EVERY TIME they lose ONE game. I din't call for thier heads after Auburn or Miami (even though it was becoming clear that they're incompetent). In case you didn't notice, Clemson is 6-6. Clemson went 2-6 vs. teams with winning records. Clemson is 4-6 vs. BCS-AQ schools. That's SIX LOSSES, not ONE. I gave Bowden many years because I could see him doing some good stuff. I would have given Hatfield longer. I like Dabo's enthusiasm, but he's just not competent to be a big-time head coach yet. No decent FBS team would hire him to be HC or Napier to be OC. So I'm disgusted that my alma mater would hire and keep them.

But I appreciate your response and will check back to see if you have any further comments.

He didn't deserve to be hired***

Dec 1, 2010, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Dabo doesn't deserve to be fired after only 2 seasons!! ]

Nov 28, 2010, 11:40 PM

Just curious...do you think there is any possiblity that Steele may decide to leave if something is not done to try to "fix" the offense through some coaching changes?

This can't be good for him in the long run if something is not done!

Nov 29, 2010, 6:49 AM

Thank goodness that the defensive line "manned" up...about the only bright spot in a dismal season.

BUT, I can't remember a season where our secondary gave up so many easy gains/scores? AND this may have been the weakest year I have witnessed from our LB's, tackling and covering tight ends and backs out of the backfield?

Steele does have some issues he needs to tighten up on, but he should be secure in his performance and DC position, and hopefully he will not be lured away to a more "big time" program.

The difference in thee D & the O is that Steele adapted his strategy, and the Napier/Swinney NEVER got outside of the pathetic/juvinile/weak game plan box O wise, which underscores their inability or competence to do so. The area that concerns me long-term is the OL, are we recruiting "best in class"? Without a dominant, blocking, effective OL, the running or passing game never is in sync, and will lead to performance (W-L) disconnects, i.e., mediocrity.

Nov 29, 2010, 5:29 AM

Nine of our opponents are bowl eligible,and we lost to 6 of them.Other than possibly getting the monkey off his back(0-3 before this season)with a win against Ga.Tech,which also finished 6-6,it doesn't say much about the program.
And please spare us the stats.We all know what stats are for?

Nov 29, 2010, 10:34 AM

We seem to be rebuilding every year. Hard to look past very successful recruiting for the past several years with minimal success in the win column. So, it all comes down to coaching. Pretty plain and simple and sometimes hard to digest, but this is the truth.

Oh, stop...***

Dec 1, 2010, 12:50 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic