Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It’s What Clemson/Bama Does Every
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

It’s What Clemson/Bama Does Every

Sep 16, 2018, 8:17 AM

Year. The stark contrast in how the teams are run is truly amazing but the end results are almost identical. Here’s what I see:

Bama -
- Recruits players with the pitch of “Come here and you’ll be a first round draft pick. ESPN/CBS will be your personal platform for the NFL”
- Run like a business and is basically a farm system for the NFL
- Games are very robotic, you see very little personality. Wash-rinse-repeat

Clemson -
- Recruits players with an authentic family first approach. Nothing means more than family even after graduation. Very loyal
- At the beginning of each year everyone plays, at times to the detriment of the team cohesion on game day. However it pays big dividends as the year progresses
- Improves as the year goes on. Part coaching, part knowing which kid can do what for the team
- Team full of personality but in a constructive manner

However in the last 5 years the W/L ratio is only 2 or 3 games different. There are many more but I’m driving down the rd. Please feel free to add, just my .02

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s What Clemson/Bama Does Every

Sep 16, 2018, 9:03 AM

Well put together considering you’re driving.

I agree. Different approaches for sure, with similar results.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 9:51 AM

Was hoping the VA Highway Patrol wasn’t paying attention

Sep 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

Great post comparing Clemson and Bama . BTW please warn everybody about speeding in VA . I got stopped last December going north on 85 in Dinwiddie County doing 85 and I don't want to tell you how much I payed because of that ticket.If you are driving in VA stay at about 70 .lol

Sep 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

Emporia is one of the worst speed trap areas on I-95.
Virginia is not a state you want to speed through.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 9:55 AM

I am just glad we play in the ACC. It gives us a chance to be flawed longer.

Three games in and

Sep 16, 2018, 10:10 AM

Bama has played more ACC than us.
And we’re equal on SEC...

Re: Three games in and

Sep 16, 2018, 10:21 AM

Pretty safe to say that the ACC is much weaker than the SEC this year. Without looking, there are probably 5 or 6 teams in the SEC that would win the ACC this year and go to the playoffs if we weren't in the ACC.

Sure, but when you say we can be flawed longer

Sep 16, 2018, 12:19 PM

We are talking about the start we each get.
They will have a better schedule than us.
Not always the case so much as this year.

The results are NOT the same... not game to game and not

Sep 16, 2018, 10:17 AM

overall.

Not a knock on Clemson, we are doing better than anyone in the nation, except Bama

But they are WAY WAY better - Than us, than everyone.

Clemson is going to end up in the 2nd tier with UGA, OSU, Oklahoma, Washington, etc... hoping to play Bama in the playoffs every year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not true.

Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 AM

3 games played head to head. 2015 we were better, but coverage busts and a clever onside kick did us in.
2016 we won.
2017 was more even than the score indicated.

The scores they are posting make them look unbeatable now. But they aren't. Wait til the play a real defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is not true.

Sep 16, 2018, 10:52 AM

3 games head to head and we're behind 2-1. If we don't have elite QB play if we play them in the post season then we might get beat worse than the Sugar Bowl.

"Wait til the play a real defense."
Bama has gone 26-2 with Hurts who can't complete a down field pass. Their offense is on another level now with a legit QB, the only way to beat them is to out score them.

That is absolutely brilliant. The only way to beat them

Sep 16, 2018, 3:33 PM

is to outscore them. Brilliant I say. Isn't that the only way to beat any team?
I mean you don't ever beat anyone without outscoring them. Even if the final score is
3 to nothing, you beat them by outscoring them.
You coots are hilarious. Thanks for coming over to our board and entertaining us.

Re: That is absolutely brilliant. The only way to beat them

Sep 16, 2018, 5:36 PM

You can't be that dense. What is your football IQ?

Sep 16, 2018, 10:56 AM

Good comparison!
Bama is looking strong no doubt. Aaron Taylor yesterday questioned how strong CU was b/c we "struggled" a bit with Georgia Southern. Ah, Aaron Georgia Southern went into a couple SEC houses and won on the road recently. They had a total of 140 yards.
To your point: Perception is reality - luckily the playoff committee does not start voting now! I just don't believe we have a staff who wants to run up the score on folks. I think they go with development over "we know we will score YET another TD on this play vs. this lesser opponent, so let's run it"! They go for; work on plays we maybe don't run well with a multitude of people in case we need that variety down the road. OSU - was blowing people out too the year they got beat 31- 0 for example. You wonder if maybe they worked on more plays than the few who were going to help them smoke Tennessee A&M Poly Tech - if they would benefit more down the road?
Bama is just more talented on both sides of the ball and if you look it wasn't like the QB had to do a ton yesterday. The defense is scoring points. Special Teams. Can't always rely on that. We will see when they play Texas A&M. HRT would me one of only a handful "not surprised" if A&M wins. Their recruiting classes are similar. They have the type of QB you "MUST" have to beat Bama. And, they have nothing to lose. Louisville has been the closest thing to a test Bama has had and the Cardinals struggled with Western Kentucky(had to rally to win 20-17). And that's the big signature win for Bama, really? Ole Miss had given up 41 pts and 27 pts prior to playing Bama; so they already had issues. Their other game was Arkansas St. Not discrediting Alabama at all - they are dominate. But, right now I think it's somewhat smoke and mirrors! Plus, yes, they are very talented and well coached.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

luckily

Sep 16, 2018, 5:50 PM

the CFP committee actually have some brains. they don't care what the talking heads and "experts" at ESPN say. For the most part, they have done an outstanding job at selecting the best teams to be in the playoffs. Yeah there is some controversy with the #4 seed. every year, regardless of how many teams the playoff is 4, 8, 12, whatever, the team on the outside looking in is always going to be upset. and normally it is literally a tossup. thank goodness that has not been us!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 11:06 AM

I have to disagree. The end results are far from identical. Alabama has been recruiting at a high level for over a decade with upteen number 1 recruiting classes and they've won 5 of the last 9 championships. We've won 1.

Agree with you. Results are not close to similar.***

Sep 16, 2018, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The end results are very different. We have ONE natty

Sep 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

under Dabo, not the 4 or 5 they have under Saban. Now I'm happy with where we are, but your post is a reach. Do you think Bama played their starters for 4 quarters in the first 3 games? They are also playing their depth. Dabo and Nick's approaches are very different for sure, and if the end goal is the CFP, then yes, they are similar, but the end goal is a National Championship.
Again, I have no complaints, I'm very happy, I love our staff and our players. But your post missed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Show Me Some Other Program

Sep 16, 2018, 11:46 AM

Maybe Georgia now with Kirby Smart. Urban Meyer beat Bama on the football field to get to a National Championship. But, Clemson has in my opinion has passed the Buckeyes. Georgia still hasn't done it yet. Clemson is the only program who has stood toe to toe with Bama w/o blinking or backing down. I.M.O we win in 2015 with a healthy Mike Williams. The onside kick would not have mattered. Last year the game was closer than the final score...we didn't have the ability to challenge them vertically! It cost us!
Everyone is enamored with the points those squads are putting up! How many championships did Oregon win during Chip Kelly's time there? Ohio St was smoking opponents the year they lost 31-0. It's not everything to just run up the score on opponents!

Clemson must worry about Clemson at this point. The rest of the ACC outside of Duke, Boston College, Virginia Tech and Miami are not looking strong! Avoiding complacency and getting better each week in practice over the course of the ACC run is going to be vital. I get the frustration b/c when we play teams we have more talent than we should be smoking them. Or at least those 4 & 5 stars difference should "show itself"! I just see the CU staff being a group that prefers "to peek late"! We will be alright fellas!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The end results are very different. We have ONE natty

Sep 16, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to The end results are very different. We have ONE natty ]

Not so fast my friend, if you’re saying the OP’s post missed then you missed the ending. I said last 4-5 years, NOT the last 10.

Going into the Sugar Bowl Clemson was only 1 game behind bama overall in the last 5 years.
Nattys was 1-1. So with all due respect in the last 5 years....it’s been incredibly close.

Recruiting isn’t the same (nor ever will be) because they recruit differently. Bama basically goes for size and stars.

Clemson takes their time and gets to know a recruit and all the behind the scenes stuff before extending a “commit able offer”. If someone doesn’t see the difference in recruiting philosophies then quit frankly they’re not paying attention.

I love our approach (get frustrated with play calling sometimes) and wouldn’t change with bama. Including the nattys. But then again, the personal maturity and off the field development this staff does with the players means more to me than some people. To each his own

You're in the wrong place to expect

Sep 16, 2018, 4:55 PM

Reading comprehension. Too many here go the 'Evelyn Woodhead Sped-readin' route...and boom, here comes their interpretation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 11:49 AM

We are catching up to Bama bit by bit, however we are still a long ways from catching up to them.
Right now as much I hate to say this Bama is in a league by them selves.

Re: Every year this place fills with bandwagon fans who...

Sep 16, 2018, 4:28 PM

have no clue to what our coaches are doing for our team and our University. Other than that I got nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic