Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I-95 is a Parking Lot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

I-95 is a Parking Lot

Dec 28, 2015, 2:07 PM

In SC I-26 then onto I-95 mile marker 77 traffic at a stand still. Why the he!! Isn't it 3 lanes in SC. Totally ridiculous. Seeing a good many Clemson folks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I-95 is a Parking Lot

Dec 28, 2015, 2:09 PM

Get off at next exit and run back roads until Hilton Head. I do it all the time, will be quicker than sitting in traffic.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Dec 28, 2015, 2:13 PM

Exit now and go out of St. George on 15 to 17 Alt. Then once you hit Hardeeville get back on I-95 off of 17 and once you cross the river into GA it will smooth out a bit.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

My first car nearly died on my due to the 26 and 95 merge.

Dec 28, 2015, 2:15 PM

It was Thanksgiving 2005. I'd just bought my second car but left it in Clover while the insurance got squared away. The Lumina got to the point it would run hot when sitting at a traffic light. Of course this particular Sunday the backup was as bad as it had ever been. I see the temp gauge creepin' up. Probably the best decision I've ever made was to pull over and let the car cool and traffic pass. It was getting pretty late so I knew the traffic would pass.

I did have an officer pull up beside me and ask if all was okay. I told him the situation and that I was trying to avoid giving him anymore headaches that evening. He seemed appreciative.

Last night it was not too bad. I left Clover right after the Panthers lost. I did what the sign told me to do and got in the left lane and held there. People were wanting to go 90, so we did. 3 ######## in pickup trucks wanted to be ultar aggressive, but nothing came of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a client that came home from Florida yesterday. He

Dec 28, 2015, 2:17 PM

said the South bound lane of 95 was backed up for FIFTY miles!

That is incredible. Well, highway 301 is nice too.***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:18 PM

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Re: That is incredible. Well, highway 301 is nice too.***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:25 PM

Its backed up to exit109

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is incredible. Well, highway 301 is nice too.***

Dec 28, 2015, 6:29 PM

Someone td'd me for trying to help. Well I won't try and help again. Sit in traffic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Large sections of 95 were shut down after the flooding.

Dec 28, 2015, 2:18 PM

Not sure if that's still the case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

All the yankees headed back south after the holiday***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Das racist..., without having to be specific. I like it. +1.***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not racist....it profiling !! !***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Profiling is getting pulled before you even get off the

Dec 28, 2015, 2:49 PM

Delaware Bridge into Jersey. They finally busted THEM for it...

Re: All the yankees headed back south after the holiday***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:39 PM [ in reply to All the yankees headed back south after the holiday*** ]

Truth.

I crossed over 95 near Dillon yesterday afternoon, it was backed up for miles.

And I thought dang yankees lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone tried the 301/321 route? Used to go that

Dec 28, 2015, 2:30 PM

way to Statesboro, and 301 was good for travelling.

gives me Gator Bowl flashbacks

on the way to numerous Gator Bowls back in the day (we used to go to Jacksonville every other year it seems), I recall many times you could physically walk Georgia (Savannah-to-Brunswick) faster than you could drive it on I-95.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup...especially on the way back home after the games.***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:37 PM

I drove back from Cape Canaveral yesterday and it was horrible. Mostly towards the SC/GA border. Fine below Brunswick and into Florida. Take alternate route.

Get off on exit 68, go east, pick up 17 S through walterboro

Dec 28, 2015, 2:33 PM

follow 17 S to Point South (exit 33), if its still backed up, stay on 17 south and check out 95 at Hardeeville.

Re: Get off on exit 68, go east, pick up 17 S through walterboro

Dec 28, 2015, 2:42 PM

Sorry meant US 15S

why i'm planning to be through that area by 8am :)***

Dec 28, 2015, 2:42 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Dec 28, 2015, 2:43 PM

Thanks for all the great tips. What makes it interesting is the fact that we are pulling a 35 foot Montana 5th wheel Camper. 65 miles to Savannah. Making this a two day trip staying on the Ga/Fla border. We were averaging 65 mph for the past 3 hrs. That's down to 45 mph now. Oh well it will be worth it to see our Tigers play.

Yesterday

Dec 28, 2015, 2:46 PM

When I was driving back from Charleston yesterday morning at 9:00am...the traffic to get on I95 from Columbia was backed up five miles. Crazy.

The reason it's not six lanes are many

Dec 28, 2015, 2:51 PM

but they involve three main reasons:

1. The gas tax has not been raised or adjusted since 1987. Meanwhile, inflation makes a dollar in 1987 less than 50 cents today, and the cost of construction materials and labor has doubled. Effectively, SCDOT can only maintain 1/4 of what it was able to 30 years ago.

2. SCDOT is run by corrupt politicians on both sides of the aisle who have pet projects and prefer to waste money on new infrastructure rather than maintain the existing system. Rather than the governor and agency head being able to make sensible decision, big transportation decisions are made by the SCDOT commission and the state infrastructure bank.

3. The Feds have until recently not passed a highway bill in nearly 10 years, so there was little guaranteed federal money. Both D's and R's are responsible, so don't make it a partisan issue.

As much as I-95 should be widened, the the normal threshold for 4 to 6 lane widening is 50,000 vehicles or more per day. The only portions of I-95 where that currently is the case is between the Georgia line and Exit 8 (Hardeeville/Hilton Head). As of now, that's the only place where it makes most sense (and believe me, it's overdue). From Exit 8 to Exit 33 (Beaufort/Point South) is the next busiest segment and probably will hit 50,000 per day in the coming years. From Exit 33 to Exit 86 (I-26), that segment remains low. Frankly, I-26 and I-85 are higher priorities for widening at this point.

One thing that could be done in the interim to help with traffic is by eliminating trees in the middle of the median, as most accidents that cause the backups involve people crashing into trees.

Prosecute corruption, do 'works' projects, raise wages....

Dec 28, 2015, 2:59 PM

Vote "The Bern"....

Re: The reason it's not six lanes are many

Dec 28, 2015, 5:59 PM [ in reply to The reason it's not six lanes are many ]

Intelligent post. South Carolina is a great state that has made many recent strides. Next we MUST fix our roads!!!!

it's SC that F's it up. Idk why we won't go to 3 lanes.***

Dec 28, 2015, 3:36 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what difference would three lanes make?

Dec 28, 2015, 3:51 PM

Everybody in this state would just drive 50 mph in the left two anyway.

Dec 28, 2015, 3:54 PM

Wife and I drove down to Hilton Head this past Saturday from the upstate. Left at 10am and arrived at Sea Pines around 4:30pm.
Daughter drove down yesterday and it took them 7 hours. No accidents just snow birds flying south for he winter.

Dec 28, 2015, 4:04 PM

Doesn't pass through any major towns in SC. We are waiting for the yankees to pay for it. Also several swampy areas that may be flooding.

Dec 28, 2015, 6:28 PM

y'all can get off I95 and take Hwy 17 through Darien and get back on I95 at Brunswick.

Maybe a toll booth at the state line for non-locals... kinda

Dec 28, 2015, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I-95 is a Parking Lot ]

"yankee"-style...

Dec 28, 2015, 6:24 PM

It will get better after you get down to where hwy17 comes in. You're getting a lot of the Savannah getting off from work traffic right now.

I hate 95, been stuck on that road many occasions...***

Dec 28, 2015, 6:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate 95, been stuck on that road many occasions...***

Dec 28, 2015, 6:56 PM

We went to a lot of bowl games and always got stuck between Savannah and Brunswick.

Getting on 17 and staying off I95 on that stretch is the best thing to do, especially this time of day. It might not be as bad in the morning. We live in Savannah.

Folks can get off at 301 near Orangeburg ...

Dec 28, 2015, 7:00 PM

Smooth sailing heading south from there. There's a lot of 4-lane highway that barely sees traffic anymore.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Folks can get off at 301 near Orangeburg ...

Dec 28, 2015, 7:16 PM

Also you guys can get on Hwy 321 in West Columbia and go all the way to Hardeeville and stay off I95. Then get on Hw17 and stay on it til Brunswick,Ga.

South Carolina roads are a disgrace

Dec 28, 2015, 7:26 PM

I lived in SC for most of my life, born and raised. I never realized how absolutely TERRIBLE SC roads are until I moved to NC three years ago.

Democrats AND Republicans (I am an R- but they need to raise the gas tax) need to get this fixed. It hurts business and is an embarrament.

Re: South Carolina roads are a disgrace

Dec 28, 2015, 7:48 PM

NC gas taxes are $0.20 more per gallon. That's a lot of cash, NC better have better roads.

worth every penny. NC growth is explosive while SC

Dec 28, 2015, 7:55 PM

is not. SC can be so much better than it is.

Like I said, I am a conservative, but being penny wise and pound foolish is killing our State.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic