Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
7 Reasons Why Rahshaun Smith could be a Clemson lock
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,433

7 Reasons Why Rahshaun Smith could be a Clemson lock

Mar 25, 2015, 9:43 AM

#1. The Clemson-Mom factor
From his October visit, “I’m just bringing my mom down,” Smith said. "She’s been really excited about Clemson,” Smith said. “This is her first recruiting trip. I’m just excited to get there, so she can see what Clemson has to offer, to see if she sees the same things that Clemson showed me.”

From March 1st- “Going back to the second time I took my Mom and it’s hard to compete when the president of that school (James Clements) comes out and talks to you and your Mom. What a coincidence he’s from the same city I’m from in Baltimore, Maryland. We lived 5-10 minutes away from each other. That’s definitely a good thing.”

After visiting Clemson's Jr Day- ...made a visit with his mom the last weekend in January, and Clemson knocked it out of the park.

“By far, without a doubt it’s Clemson that’s been recruiting me the hardest and was my best visit,” Smith said. “Since the day I had the scholarship, they have recruited me the hardest. Coach [Dabo] Swinney and I have a real strong relationship. When I took my mom down for a visit, my second time going, I got to meet the university president and he is from my hometown. We built a strong relationship, my mom loves him, he loves my family and I’ve not heard anybody say that they have had a meeting with the president of a school and I’m around a lot of top prospects. That was big." http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/80316/rahshaun-smith-raves-about-clemson

#2. Brent and Staff

“Coach Venables and I have one of the strongest relationships in my recruiting,” Smith said

"When I first came down there and I first met him, I was like, ‘My name is Rahshaun Smith.’ He was like, ‘We’ve been trying to get in contact with you for the longest time.’ I was down there for two days. From that point on, we built a relationship that was strong. Right then and there, we built that bond right then and there, that quick connection."

On Venables earlier this month- "Smith said he has a great relationship with Tigers defensive defensive coordinator Brent Venables and head coach Dabo Swinney, along with the rest of the staff."

#3 Great visits!

On his visit- "I loved it," he said. "It definitely was an eye opening visit. It changed my mind about Clemson and got me thinking about them. Their coaching staff is great. They work well with the players. It's not only about football, it's a family based program."

From 1/29/15- 'I love Clemson," Smith said. "They sit well with me right now. I have a great impression of them. When I went down there it was everything I thought it would be." Smith visited last season for the Syracuse game."

#4. Friends in the program

Article 3/1/15- "Having Chase committed already could give the Tigers an edge with Smith. Smith took a visit to Clemson for Elite Junior Day in January along with Chase and another IMG teammate, 5-star CB Saivion Smith.

Saivion ultimately committed to LSU but said, “I love Clemson with all my heart,” when he made his announcement. Perhaps the Tigers could still find a way to land the whole trio."

From 10/26/14 On his October visit via Twitter- "I want to thank the Clemson family and my big bro @stephoneanthony for the weekend I had, a weekend to remember."

"Rahshaun Smith, a 4-star linebacker/defensive end and teammate of Clemson-commit Tavares Chase, is looking like a serious Clemson-lean at the moment."

#5 Really likes Clemson

From ESPN on 3/1/15- Of those schools, he spent a lot of time raving about his experience at Clemson.

"I've been to Clemson three times," he said. "The camp, it blew my mind -- the facilities. If you've never been to Clemson and you hear Clemson, you think Clemson, they're good at football. That's what I thought. When I went to campus, it blew my mind away, everything about it. It was definitely a great feeling."

#6. Clemson had a jump start in the process and never looked back

“Since the day I had the scholarship, they have recruited me the hardest."

"The Tigers are the big favorite to land Smith per 247Sports Crystal Ball, which measures the predictions of national recruiting analysts from coast-to-coast.

We offered him prior to other schools such as Bama, Miami, and LSU.

From 3/6/15- "The 'Noles have some ground to make up as he told Rivals a few months ago that Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida, Maryland and Tennessee stand out. We are told that FSU is now one of the teams in that mix as well."

And for what it's worth 24/7.com's crystal ball prediction has changed from

Clemson 59% Oklahoma 18% FSU 18% to

Clemson 74% Oklahoma 11% FSU 11%.

#7. He likes our defensive scheme

"Many schools are recruiting him to be a defensive end but Venables is recruiting him to be an inside linebacker in the mold of Stephone Anthony."

"He’s definitely a great coach,” Smith said. “We went over some defenses out there on the field. I got the vibe from him when he was on the field coaching.”

From March 9th- "There are a few schools that have shown Smith that he could have a great opportunity there, including Clemson, LSU, and Arizona State."

Combine footage-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIMXnz9Rtc

A scout's evaluation- Athletic ability/measurables- Smith might not be ideal height, but has good length to play the edge and the frame to add quite a bit more weight. He runs very well for his size and has great acceleration.

Skills/technique- As a sophomore, Smith played primarily on the edge. He played off the ball a significant amount of the time as a junior and moved to middle linebacker for St. Frances Academy. His read and recognition skills improved quite a bit as the year progressed and he was much more decisive in taking on blocks and getting to the football. He’s a thumper who makes a big impact on contact. When he hits an opponent, they are going backward.

He showed great strength and explosion as a blitzer and did well to disengage from blocks and get to the quarterback. He wasn’t overall disciplined in coverage, but did a nice job of reading the quarterback’s eyes a couple of times and coming up with interceptions.

In the Under Armour Elite 50 back in February, he showed he can do a very good job in man coverage vs tight ends while covering his now high school teammate, Isaac Nauta. He has the strength to get a good jam at the line of scrimmage and can mirror just about any tight end down the field.

I’d like to see more of him on the edge as a pass rusher because I didn’t get to see him lined up trying to beat offensive tackles as a junior. His sacks off the edge were often when he was unblocked as a blitzer or stunting inside. He struggled to use his hands as a sophomore and hopefully there is more of him working pass rush moves and bending around the edge as a senior.
He does a nice job versus the run setting the edge though. He ussd his length well to get off blocks and also flashes in pursuit as a chase player.

Scheme fit- Based on his improvement he showed as a junior, I don’t think it’s out of the question for him to play as an inside linebacker at the next level. He sure looks like he could be an outstanding SAM linebacker playing over the tight end though and I think him playing as a SAM in a 3-4 is likely his best position at the college level.

Potential
- Smith has the potential to develop into a solid starter for multiple seasons at the next level. There are flashier players, but the violence in his game combined with his athleticism make him one of the more intriguing edge players in 2016.
http://sonofacoach.com/rahshaun-smith/

Junior Yr Film-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHwbUbvilc

Smith discussing Clemson and Bama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyAswOw_fbc

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason he is a Clemson lock is because Tiger Illustrated

Mar 25, 2015, 9:59 AM

has projected him to Clemson and when they project its always a lock!!

Re: 7 Reasons Why Rahshaun Smith could be a Clemson lock

Mar 25, 2015, 10:01 AM

"could be a Clemson lock" lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

If it had said 12 or more I would have taken the day off

Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 AM

And read it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post... but two things...

Mar 25, 2015, 11:22 AM

1. The subject title includes an oxymoron.
2. After reading that (most of it) if we don't land him I will be very upset at you because it got my hopes up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Another 5* mom commits to Clemson"

Mar 25, 2015, 11:28 AM

Get momma on campus and it's a wrap.

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,433
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic