Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Covid19: Are we just lucky, or is this thing not as bad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 761

Covid19: Are we just lucky, or is this thing not as bad

May 1, 2020, 1:58 PM

as we thought? We are an "essential" business, approximately 50 employees. A small, barely noticeable sign was placed at the front door asking customers to practice social distancing, but it is not enforced. Hand sanitizer was placed throughout the building. Other than that, no steps were taken to protect customers or employees. There is close, face to face contact with hundreds of customers every day. Multiple people using the same keyboards and phones. It is a crowded work environment and any kind of social distancing is out of the question; we are crawling all over each other like ants, touching and handling the same things and surfaces. Many people here think the virus is a hoax, and have changed nothing. Yet, here we are, at least 3 months in, and not a single person has been sick. That is not to say that some have not been infected and have had no symptoms, but nobody has felt sick or missed work. We have 4 employees over 70, and about 10 over 60. I don't believe in any kind of conspiracy, but I think there is still a lot we don't know or understand about this virus. Based on what we've been told and what we think we know, it seems that at least one person here would have been very sick by now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

6 people from my mom's church tested positive and

May 1, 2020, 2:08 PM

1 died last month. They are pretty sure they all contracted it at the same event (one that my 79 year old mother attended). So, no I don't think it's a hoax.

I don't have enough information about where you live nor the expertise to offer any opinion as to why your workplace hasn't been affected. I'd say, that's good news for you and I hope that it continues to stay the same.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Yea - its no joke. My wife knows of at least 3 people she

May 1, 2020, 2:23 PM

directly works with that have died. And many many other at her work have tested positive. All it takes is one person to have the virus to go somewhere and spread it around. ST's post is lucky that no one is showing symptoms or has the virus. With all the current info, this virus is pretty #### bad especially with the asymptomatic transmission. We won't truly know the depth and breadth of how bad this was until there is mass testing. I'm guessing there is way more infection around the globe than positive tests.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why it's so puzzling here. It bottles the mind to

May 1, 2020, 3:32 PM

think that if the virus is so much more pervasive than we once thought, that with all of the up close contact we've had here with each other, and thousands of customers, that nobody has gotten sick. It almost defies reason to think that as pervasive as it appears to be, that nobody here has come in contact with anybody who is infected, and if they have, that they have not become infected, and if it is as dangerous as it appears to be, that nobody here has even gotten sick. I'm thinking there is an explanation that does not involve luck, but rather something we don't know or understand about the virus.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Lucky. I think there is a strain that is more contagious

May 1, 2020, 2:22 PM

and nastier than others - or maybe the amount of time that someone is contagious is actually very short.

That's why there can be 30 confirmed illnesses from a single relatively small party in Connecticut, but the office of Smiling Tiger® can operate for weeks without a single case...

(Keep in my mind - I have no training as a doctor and I can't even spell virrus.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The professionals that are studying the virus have already

May 1, 2020, 2:25 PM

said that there haven't been many mutations of this virus, which is great news. Most folks that are going to the hospital already have some other sort of medical issue. Maybe the folks ST works with haven't been exposed at all. Good for all of them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Covid19: Are we just lucky, or is this thing not as bad

May 1, 2020, 2:34 PM

Sounds like you guys are lucky. Folks in the drug/epidemiology community I've talked with said social distancing has worked and saved hundreds of thousands of lives. The problem is we can't social distance forever, so will likely be local stop/starts as outbreaks are identified and contained. But as long as we have the testing, we should be able to manage that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

Too many people have died to think the virus isn't serious.

May 1, 2020, 3:20 PM

The hoax was our reaction. Most states had no reason to shut down other than fear. The elderly and the fragile should have been the only ones to stay at home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not doubting that it's serious.

May 1, 2020, 3:36 PM

Just questioning our knowledge and understanding.

- H. L. Mencken

Imo, the politicians learned how to destroy a thriving...

May 1, 2020, 3:57 PM

economy and upset a successful president. I learned that the W.H.O. can't be trusted, the old and fragile should be the only people to shelter in place during a viral outbreak, America needs to produce most of the products we use and the Chinese Communist Government must be destroyed for the rest of the world to remain safe, healthy and economically sound.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya it was all a conspiracy to get Trump! That’s why

May 1, 2020, 4:45 PM

the rest of the world shut down too...

And if you want to produce everything here in America, I hope you enjoy having much less buying power with your income.

Trump did what he believed was best.

May 1, 2020, 4:58 PM

If there's any blame for the federal government's position or how it addressed the problem it's squarely on Trump. The states operated with only assistance and recommendations from federal authorities.

You need an initial person to get it before

May 1, 2020, 3:43 PM

your social distancing practices in the workplace become a factor.

also...i was speaking with a friend of mine in Boston

May 1, 2020, 4:08 PM

that works in a small restaurant. Said several workers, including herself were sick in early March. some thought they had pneumonia. all had flu test, only 1/11 tested positive for the flu. Her sickness was a few days, but others had it longer, weeks before they felt better.

they are all entering the antibody trial -for whatever that is worth- given their proximity to an outbreak and what they do, they feel that htey may have it. (all 20s, 30s I think). The question we had is that my friend was sick, but her husband and kids never did. at least they did show any symptoms.

All of this to say, it'll be interesting to see what comes of the antibody test. Of course, those things aren't super accurate so....

anyway, just thought that was interesting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

on the flip side...

May 1, 2020, 4:15 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nearly-900-workers-tyson-foods-plant-indiana-test-positive-coronavirus-n1197776

I saw that.

May 1, 2020, 4:44 PM

And again, I'm not denying that it's bad and has been devastating in some parts of the country. My heart goes out to everyone who's been affected by it.

- H. L. Mencken

Partly lucky. But also 50 isn’t a huge sample size.

May 1, 2020, 4:43 PM

And while you’re all very close at work, you aren’t being exposed to the general public like you normally would with everything shut down and the public generally observing social distancing practices. So part of it’s luck, part of it is that it’s probably not quite as bad as they may have though, and part of it is probably due to the shut down/social distancing that society is doing.

Why don't y'all work remote ?

May 2, 2020, 7:11 PM

I think the whole office thing is stupid and archaic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 761
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic