Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What happens when oher conf sign similar Bowl deals ..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

What happens when oher conf sign similar Bowl deals ..

Jul 4, 2012, 10:28 AM

It is great news about the Orange Bowl. But nothing stops other conferences from signing similar or better (more) deals with other Bowls.

Where ACC has the Orange Bowl - doesn't the SEC have tie-ins to several bowls.

My point being - is if other conferences have similar deals - then the ACC will (at best) be on par with other conferences or worse if they have more bowl tie-ins.

Help me understand if I am wrong on this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The point is the ACC Champ is still guaranteed a spot in

Jul 4, 2012, 10:47 AM

one of the marquee bowls. I assume other conferences will sign similar deals that lock them into whatever bowls they used to go to under the BCS (Pac-10 and Big 10 to the Rose, etc.)so I don't think it will be unique by the time the playoff starts but it's a huge deal to hang onto one of the top tier bowls for a conference that was supposedly being left in the dust.

The other cool thing it does is give the ACC the rights to the game before hand to sell to the highest bidder (ESPN, Fox, CBS, etc.). Obviously if we're a particularly weak draw that year it might not be that big of a deal but if there's a big matchup then that means more money for the conference members.

It also allows us, should the Orange Bowl be one of the 3 playoff bowls any year, to go to one of the other marquee bowls. I would love to see the Tigers play in the Rose Bowl!!

Overall I can't stand Swofford and think his tenure has been a step back for ACC Football but this is a really solid deal. The fact that it's the first one inked and he did it on his own initiative is impressive as well. He did his job for once...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhh, apparently you can't say "markee"***

Jul 4, 2012, 10:47 AM

Re: Uhhh, apparently you can't say "markee"***

Jul 4, 2012, 1:20 PM

It took me several years to figure out why, but the reason you can't use "markee" (w/ the correct spelling) is because it's a reserved word in HTML for a particularly annoying feature.

Ah, thanks!***

Jul 4, 2012, 2:45 PM

Re: What happens when oher conf sign similar Bowl deals ..

Jul 4, 2012, 10:48 AM

I think locking in one of the 4 top bowls has to be good no matter what happens with the others.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the other conferences have similar bowl games already

Jul 4, 2012, 10:52 AM

big12/SEC have champions game ; Big10/Pac12 have Rose. The difference is those are 50/50 splits of bigger pies-- The ACC will likely get a smaller pie depending on the open market bidding BUT they will control the split %.

Re: the other conferences have similar bowl games already

Jul 4, 2012, 11:03 AM

What will happen to the Sugar bowl now that sec will go to champs bowl?

I'm pretty sure that will be two at large teams....

Jul 4, 2012, 1:57 PM

Same for the Fiesta. I don't think the "Big 5" will have multiple tie-ins to the 6 contracted bowls. If that were the case then the SEC could have up to 4 tie ins (Champions, Sugar, Cotton, Capital One/Chick-fil-a)

The Rose bowl doesn't split its tv revenue 50/50...

Jul 4, 2012, 1:55 PM [ in reply to the other conferences have similar bowl games already ]

between the B1G and Pac12. They keep some of it as well then have equal pay outs for the two conferences.

I don't think the ACC has the say in what %age the

Jul 4, 2012, 2:21 PM

participants get. I doubt the BCSPOC would have agreed to place a team in the OB against an ACC team and allow the ACC to screw things up with a 51/49 split.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't matter how much the teams get...

Jul 4, 2012, 2:25 PM

My understanding is the ACC will be keeping 50% of TV revenue right off the top as we own the TV right to the bowl.

Groundhog day. Other bowls will sign bowl tie-ins with

Jul 4, 2012, 10:55 AM

conferences & we'll have the same exact staid bowl match-ups that we have today.

On the positive side it would be hard for the ACC to get much worse bowl tie-ins than they currently have.

The one thing the ACC will get that no other conference will

Jul 4, 2012, 1:14 PM

It gets all the TV revenue and it does not matter if a ACC team is playing in it or not. Meaning when the OB gets a playoff spot the ACC gets that money for TV revenues. The others are spliting theirs. I think this is a big deal and very good move.

Re: The one thing the ACC will get that no other conference will

Jul 4, 2012, 1:25 PM

You can not get anyone to play in the OB without some kind of split in money.

Hey cockstripe...

Jul 4, 2012, 1:28 PM

How 'bout you leave the grown up discussions to the grownups?

Re: The one thing the ACC will get that no other conference will

Jul 4, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: The one thing the ACC will get that no other conference will ]

They would get bowl money but would not get ANY TV revenue as the ACC owns the OB rights. I could say it slow if its hard to understand

Yup...

Jul 4, 2012, 1:39 PM

I had a pet hamster once with more IQ points than cockstripe. The truly bizarre thing is he just keeps trying and trying. What is it they say about insanity?

Durrr***

Jul 4, 2012, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: The one thing the ACC will get that no other conference will ]

The 'pie,' was just divided.

Jul 4, 2012, 2:07 PM

First Piece:

The upper echelon of the bowl system's top three bowls was just acquired by five conferences. Everyone knows who owns the rights to each of those three bowls. That is a huge slice of the pie and the ACC seems to have gotten more that our fair share.

Second piece:

At this point, presuming the other three bowls remain in the same hands, nothing will change except that the selection committee will place teams in those three bowls and thereby replace the BCS.

The bowls that were not involved in the agreement the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee publicly agreed on are now in limbo and probably working on contracts with attractive partners. This is where the field of revenue spreading will equalize the disproportionate slice the ACC got from the 'first piece.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an assumption***

Jul 4, 2012, 2:26 PM

Thus the use of 'presuming,' and 'probably.'

Jul 4, 2012, 2:43 PM

Idle speculation is usual from me when we only know a small part of something as big as this playoff and bowl reassignment.

Re: Thus the use of 'presuming,' and 'probably.'

Jul 4, 2012, 4:15 PM

Some people on here just do not understand the way bowls work and love to speculate. The bowl money comes from ticket sale from the two schools. When was the last time you know it all's saw the OB sell out without the schools playing in it made to buy the majority of the tickets. what is a reasonable amount to pay a quality opponent and what kind of TV revenue can be expected VS the TV ratings for the OB? Thanks.Also who is responsible for paying for promoting the OB.

Cockstripe just keeps trying and trying...

Jul 4, 2012, 7:44 PM

It's hilarious, yet scary all at once. Poor kid. I guess he can't help it.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic