Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The ring ceremony was cool last night.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

The ring ceremony was cool last night.

Oct 25, 2017, 2:18 PM

Kid_of_wilbur got her ring...

They had Col. Ben Skardon '38 on stage and did a nice video on his endeavors during the Baatan Death March. He's 100 now but last year walked 8 miles in a re-enactment.

There was also a presentation on the history of the ring last night. It was last changed in 1965 when the lettering went from "Clemson A&M College" to "Clemson University". At the same time the Trustees voted to keep the design as is in perpetuity...

Later I tweeted @ clemsonprez to thank him for the event and he actually responded back about midnight.

Palmetto smokehouse before/Esso Club afterwards.

Pretty good Tuesday evening.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Wilbur, lemme tell you about the 1998 ring ceremony.

Oct 25, 2017, 2:20 PM

You went by the bookstore in the student union, waited for someone to help you, and then asked "has my ring come in yet"? If it had, they handed it to you and you left. If it hadn't, you repeated the process a few days later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got it. It's come a long way since I picked mine up from the

Oct 25, 2017, 2:29 PM

bookstore under Harcombe.

Last night they were delivered in wooden boxes made from trees that had been felled on campus and they gave them a glass embossed with the ring center.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Let me tell you about the 2011 Ring Ceremony

Oct 25, 2017, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Wilbur, lemme tell you about the 1998 ring ceremony. ]

The Fedex guy knocked on my door. Left the box, and walked back to his truck.

I opened the door and saw a box from herff jones.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You missed out. 1998's had so much more tradition and

Oct 25, 2017, 2:33 PM

meaning.

I even saw one of the cafeteria workers from Harcombe smoking down in the tunnel between the post office and the bookstore. I think they were re-enacting the smoking cannons manned by Clemson A&M cadets in WWII.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

awe inspiring***

Oct 25, 2017, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Wilbur, lemme tell you about the 1998 ring ceremony. ]

Re: THIS

Oct 25, 2017, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Wilbur, lemme tell you about the 1998 ring ceremony. ]

Is what I remembered from 20 yrs before that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats

Oct 25, 2017, 2:20 PM

it is such a good feeling to have a child graduate Clemson. It is special.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obligatory

Oct 25, 2017, 2:21 PM

pigs of her ring?

Misspelled nipple***

Oct 25, 2017, 2:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

The pigs I took got blurry after I zoomed in...

Oct 25, 2017, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Obligatory ]

Sorry they were taken on an iPhone 6s...It sorta looked like this...

congrats butt

Oct 25, 2017, 2:24 PM

I think the Baatan Death March was more than 8 miles

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

that was just for the re-enactment, which he did at 99 yo.***

Oct 25, 2017, 2:30 PM

Re: The ring ceremony was cool last night.

Oct 25, 2017, 2:25 PM

This ring I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make large gold rings. Up till then people just wore gold bands. It was bought by private Doughboy Erine Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather's war ring and he wore it everyday he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the ring off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this ring to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he'd never seen in the flesh, his gold ring. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's gold ring. This ring ... This ring was on your Daddy's finger when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the ring it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that ring was your birthright. He'd be ###### if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this ring up his ###. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the ring. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ### two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the ring to you.

I remember my ring ceremony.....

Oct 25, 2017, 2:27 PM

it was such an intimate setting.....the glass-bricked Bookstore underneath Harcombe in that weird, frigid wind tunnel. The cashier handed me that little box. Just me and her. I think maybe there was a Journey song playing on the Bookstore intercom speakers. I opened the ringbox slowly, with trembling hands, and got the first glimpse of my new best friend for life.
She said, "Everything look OK?".
I said "Yeah."
"That'll be $425, please".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

heyyyyyy***

They didn't have no "ring ceremony" back in my day

Dang things cost almost a semester of my tuition back in the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pigs of wilburette's hawt friends?***

Oct 25, 2017, 3:47 PM

Readily available on Buddy book***

Oct 25, 2017, 4:11 PM

make them readily available in the jounge***

Oct 25, 2017, 4:19 PM

The last time the ring changed was not 1965.....

Oct 25, 2017, 4:08 PM

has to be more recent.

I've replaced the stone in mine twice since 2007. My great-uncle's is so worn down ya can't make it out.

It is WAY more cheaply made now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old ones were Herff Jones New ones are Balfour

Oct 25, 2017, 4:12 PM

I like the HJ ones better.

I didn't get my Clemson ring until years later, a Christmas

Oct 25, 2017, 5:35 PM

present from my (now) ex-wife. The price of gold sky-rocketed in the late 70s and so did the rings, so I passed. I just looked it up and the price of gold more than doubled between '78 and '79. In fact, that 1979 price of $459/ounce is almost $1700 if you plug it into an inflation calculator...

http://onlygold.com/Info/Historical-Gold-Prices.asp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Similar situation.

Oct 25, 2017, 5:42 PM

Pretty sure a ring was about $300 when I graduated in the late 90's, with the top 18k option being about $500. I cringe to look at the prices now.

check this out... find 1979 and look at the price of gold...

Oct 25, 2017, 6:06 PM

LOL, just my luck:

and when I was looking to buy my first house in the early 80s...

Crazy times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Bet you have a "I miss Carter" sticker on your car.***

Oct 25, 2017, 6:30 PM

Got mine in 76 so I missed the huge increase

Oct 25, 2017, 6:41 PM [ in reply to check this out... find 1979 and look at the price of gold... ]

speaking of houses - bought my first in 81 - really high interest rates. Had a negative amortization loan. LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL Father G and my mom are the same age.***

Oct 25, 2017, 7:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

lemme tell you about the 2007 ring ceremony.

Oct 25, 2017, 6:10 PM

my wife took my nutz.
end of story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic