Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The perfect playoff plan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,239

The perfect playoff plan

Nov 30, 2018, 10:34 AM

Do away with the conference championships.
Have 8 teams play on championship weekend: the five Power 5 conference regular season champs, and the best remaining 3 teams, which the committee will decide.

Play the 4 games at the Power 5 conference champions home field, rotating every year. So, once every 5 years the ACC champ would not play at home the first game, etc.

No additional games added - you still have the semifinals and final like it is now.

The entire season record still matters. The Power 5 conferences get that championship game (4 out of every 5 years) for revenue.

And the committee would still be needed to rank the teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The perfect playoff plan

Nov 30, 2018, 10:35 AM

And last year, where Miami would have been the regular season ACC Champs due to beating Syracuse, we still would have gotten in by being one of the best 3 remaining teams.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:40 AM

I could get behind this. I'm glad you did away with the conference championships in this scenario.

Only thing that I might change is allow the higher seeds to host the first set playoff games at their championship location (use one of the alternate locations if there is a second teams from the same conference). I don't think a high seed should possibly be at a disadvantage because of a rotation.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:44 AM

Because the Power 5 conferences are the ones that came up with the current system, I'm just trying to give them a plan that guarantees a game like the conference championship games. Without something like that, they'll never give up the revenue from those games.

And those first 4 games, even though being played at the home of one of the Power 5 champions, should have the tickets distributed 50-50 between the two teams playing. So the normal season ticket situation wouldn't apply to these games.

How are you going to determine conference champions...

Nov 30, 2018, 10:41 AM

when the schedule are unbalanced and all team don't play.

Are you going to get rid of the Divisions and reduce the size of the conferences?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: How are you going to determine conference champions...

Nov 30, 2018, 10:48 AM

No, I'd keep the conferences the way that they are. But I would require all Power 5 teams to play the same number of conference games. Keep the divisions. In the end, it would be your overall conference record that would determine the champion.

But don't forget the the 3 best remaining teams would still get in. This would guarantee that the deserving teams would get in, and this is where strength of schedule, etc., would all come into play.

The committee would still choose 3 teams - only one less than they choose now. But we wouldn't have to watch Northwestern-O310 St., or even Pitt.-Clemson this weekend.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:43 AM

I like conference championship games and I like 4 teams until I see a better way to add teams without losing regular season or championship games.

However, if I go along with your idea, my suggestion would be rank the 8 teams regardless of conference champs. Guaranteeing conference champs a home game could result in a less deserving team getting a home game. Imagine an 11-1 team having to travel to an 8-4 team simply because their conference was terrible. In that scenario a team who would most likely be 8th best would get a 4 seed. This also causes the #1 seed to have to play a tougher team.

Nov 30, 2018, 2:49 PM

I would match up the 8 teams based on the committee's rankings. So, based on this week's rankings, here are the games this weekend:

Washington @ Bama
Michigan @ Clemson
Georgia @ Oklahoma
Notre Dame @ O310 St.

Ticket allotment for each team would be 50% each. No one who is deserving gets left out, and the highest ranked teams get the easiest games.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,239
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic