Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The percentage of students from SC is 66% - same as it's always been
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,510

The percentage of students from SC is 66% - same as it's always been

Feb 13, 2018, 2:48 PM

If the school didn't give preference to South Carolina students then that number would be far less.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well the counter there is if the state did things like Texas

Feb 13, 2018, 5:32 PM

and NC and some others, there would be far less out of state students.........just saying .....that knife cuts both ways

I would also like to see the breakdown of SAT avg from out of state- is Clemson letting better students in than those in state they are turning away or is it just a $ grab and they want to keep at 35% to avoid raising in-state tuition to the 65% that makes it ?

Re: well the counter there is if the state did things like Texas

Feb 13, 2018, 5:48 PM

UNC's acceptance rate is 26% and admitted 46% of NC applicants, Clemson admitted around half of in-state applicants.

The University of Texas has an enrollment of 50k, Clemson simply cannot match something like that to accept everyone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 7:46 PM

You can still take percentages of 50K. Where does the math break down in this example?

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 11:00 PM

My Coot nephew said the math breaks down when you start trying to divide up the other 44% .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 13, 2018, 7:19 PM [ in reply to well the counter there is if the state did things like Texas ]

If you look at it realistically then of course it is a money grab to subsidize in state tuition costs. While it is easy to condemn the OOS enrollment not many would applaud the rise in tuition.The only other way is to call your State representatives and demand that income taxes rise across all income levels to fully fund the University system across the State.

The academic standing of accepted "In State" students is

Feb 13, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to well the counter there is if the state did things like Texas ]

much higher than it used to be. Clemson is actively recruiting the top 5% of HS students and aggressively recruiting the top 1%.

That ladies and gentlemen is why it is so competitive for in-state students to be accepted at Clemson. The average incoming SAT score has jumped over 250 points in the last 15 years.

Re: The percentage of students from SC is 66% - same as it's always been

Feb 13, 2018, 5:42 PM

When I went in 1970 , the second most number of students was from New Jersey . I wonder if that still holds true?

Feb 14, 2018, 11:49 AM

I'm pretty sure North Carolina and Georgia are #1/2 in out of state students. New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania are close behind though.

Feb 13, 2018, 5:45 PM

My first and last post on all this acceptance talk. Clemson is one of the hottest brands and that applies to academics too. It’s never been harder to get in.
With that said there’s 2 ways to get in. Out work everyone, have higher SATs, GPA, extracurricular activities etc... Or be connected to someone with pull to the university. Thats how life works and that’s how work works after college so get used it. Make it on your own merit or be connected.

Message was edited by: ClemsonME08

Feb 13, 2018, 7:29 PM

Another interesting item, at least to me, is that after speaking with parents of OOS kids from Pa is that tuition at PSU in state for them was almost the same as CU’s OOS rate. For them it came down to where the kid wanted to attend.

I would love to see the GPAs and test scores broken out

Feb 13, 2018, 7:48 PM

by in-state vs out-of-state.

I'm nearly certain that the out-of-state candidate is what's driving the overall student body. Without this 2/3 in-state breakdown, Clemson would likely improve even further in the rankings.

Re: I would love to see the GPAs and test scores broken out

Feb 13, 2018, 7:52 PM

Correct, the out if state students have better test scores. Look at the Honors College, it's normally about 2/3rds out of state students.

Re: I would love to see the GPAs and test scores broken out

Feb 13, 2018, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I would love to see the GPAs and test scores broken out ]

More money + better stats. The school would be 50% out of state if legally permitted.

Message was edited by: bmoretiger

Feb 13, 2018, 8:09 PM

I knew some kids who didn't even take algebra and got into South Carolina. Traveling medicine show of a college

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,510
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic