Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Sturgis: The NCAA got it wrong… Again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Football Update: Sturgis: The NCAA got it wrong… Again

Sep 28, 2013, 8:08 AM

Sturgis: The NCAA got it wrong… Again

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Emotional vengeance". +1.***

Sep 28, 2013, 8:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Sturgis: The NCAA got it wrong… Again

Sep 28, 2013, 8:32 AM

Great Article! I was saying from the beginning that this was way bigger than the NCAA and out of their jurisdiction. I hope the guys who did this stuff ROT....
But i also know the NCAA's method of punishment for the whole institution is not appropriate for cases of this magnitude. This requires something less communist.

I'm pulling for those victims to find healing most of all and I'm pulling for all the PSU students and faculty who had their names drug through the mud just because of a logo.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Always seemed more like a legal issue than a....

Sep 28, 2013, 8:54 AM

sports related (violations) issue to me as well.

How would limiting scholarships help the victims? Perhaps someone could point out something that I haven't thought of.

Seems to me they're hurting the current players and fans. Possibly the game day vendors as well. Poor seasons = lower attendance (usually the case, but maybe not at Penn State).

I've often thought the NCAA shoots the wrong target in many cases, instead of the guilty party.

The people involved are handled by the legal system, but the

Sep 28, 2013, 12:09 PM

school, in particular the PSUAD and the football program, need severely punished because they benefited by covering this up for over a decade. This was not a one time incident, but a heinous crime committed repeatedly by a serial offender that was protected by PSU and the PSUAD. It was a systemic and institutional cover up to protect the image of the school, athletic department, and football program. Had this been a professor they would have turned him in instantly, but because it involved the football program, and especially one of Paterno's closest friends and confidants, they went out of their way to cover it up purely to protect the image of Paterno and PSU football. That is out of the hands of the legal system, but not PSU. If there was ever a clear cut case of "lack of institutional control" this is surely it.

You bring up a good point about protecting the image of the

Sep 29, 2013, 12:00 PM

the PSUAD.

However, my time is short and I'll simply say this. Punish the few responsible. Whether it's the NCAA or legal system.

I'll never see how taking away scholarships from kids that had nothing to do with this helps anything. As many as 40 scholarships would have been gone from college football. Somewhere down the line, 40 kids will have find another way to attend college.

It's a tough call to balance victims and school

Sep 28, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Always seemed more like a legal issue than a.... ]

I can't put myself in the victims' position too well, but if I were one I think I would expect the school to suffer since I know they covered it up instead of helping me AT THE TIME I was a victim.

But then again, the punishment affects more innocent people than guilty ones as you say.

It's not an easy call. The legal system took its course. And the NCAA doesn't really have any way to follow suit and go after the guilty. But there has to be some message sent to schools that even when you don't break the rules explicitly, you still need to practice good moral judgment, too. It matters. It's a fair argument about how tough the punishment should be, though.

Lack of institutional control?***

Sep 28, 2013, 11:11 AM

Re: Football Update: Sturgis: The NCAA got it wrong… Again

Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM

This article Is Cow Dung!

PSU should have gotten the Death Penalty for 2 or 3 yrs but

Sep 28, 2013, 11:58 AM

I totally agree the NCAA is a joke and the power conferences need to break off and form a new governing body that has some common sense. I've ben advocating this for years.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic