Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The part of the loss Saturday that bothers the most is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

The part of the loss Saturday that bothers the most is

Nov 14, 2016, 6:53 PM

that with 5:20 to go we had 2nd and goal at the 3, poised to go up 49-34 and put the game out of reach. With all the bad that had happened, questionable calls, poor defense, missed offensive opportunities, there we sat on the three yard line, clock ticking. One of five things could happen and only one of the likely could cost the game.

1. Score a touchdown
2. score a field goal
3. turn the ball over on downs
4. turn the ball over at the goal
5. turnover with big return

The pass play should have never been called. A running play should have been called on 2nd and 3rd downs, possible 4th if necessary. At worst, two more minutes tick off the clock and Pitt takes over at their own one with three minute remaining. Kick a field goal on 4th down and go up by 11. Who ever called the pass play there lost the game. To throw to the right in a congested area was asking for trouble. Just run the ball twice and kick a field goal. If you have to kick on 4th down at least we used clock, or make Pitt use their timeouts.

I've never seen a pass play like that be successful in that congested situation. See Louisville vs Clemson in that same endzone in 2014. See Boyd vs Ohio State in the Orange Bowl.

With five minutes to go in the game, our players had overcome adversity quite impressively. The defense had only given up 7 points the entire second half, and the offense was marching to put it away. But they could not overcome a bonehead play call by either Elliot or Scott. The person that called that play lost the game.

Still, in spite of all that happened late, the offense had a 3rd and 1 with a chance to ice it. Then it became 4th and 1. Run the ball yes, deep pitch to the short side of the field, no. Another terrible play call.

This is definitely one that we let slip away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BoNEHEAD is the key Word!

Nov 14, 2016, 6:57 PM

And stubbornness & stupidity would be 2 others! GeeZ! We had this won & gift wrapped it with a big Orange Ribbon!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BoNEHEAD is the key Word!

Nov 14, 2016, 7:01 PM

Yep we should have put it away but didn't. Credit to Pitt for taking advantage. We had it won. We know we are the better team but mistakes have caught up to us. We have to be more careful even against Wake and Usuck. VT or UnC will do the same as Pitt if we hand them chances over and over. The refs did help some Pitt drives but we helped them out as well. We have to stop beating ourselves if we want to win it all. I believe in our boys!

Call to win the game. It was a run/pass option.

Nov 14, 2016, 6:58 PM

Watson made a bad decision to throw it. I don't mind the call, because the QB should have known, unless it's WIDE OPEN throw it away or run it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The part of the loss Saturday that bothers the most is

Nov 14, 2016, 6:58 PM

I agree but DW should have been smarter as well but the pitch plays on 3rd and 4th down were stupid. Knowing their D had been over it several times in practice seeing we did it at FSU. Should have went up the middle on 4th. I would have liked a pass on 3rd. We had killed them with the slant all night why stop?

you are correct...agree point

Nov 14, 2016, 7:14 PM

clemson beat clemson.....plus refs

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic