Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The paranoia thread
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 377

The paranoia thread

Aug 6, 2018, 9:52 AM

So, I am not a reactionary, but I recalled Tiggity® posting one time he was discussing something and what he discussed popped up as an ad. Welp, was talking toa coworker on Friday about test-driving a very specific model of Hyundai (fire-proofed, amirite zettner ?) SUre enough when I opened up Facebook. There was an ad for that same car.

ANyone know how to turn that ability off ?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you can't turn off the matrix

Aug 6, 2018, 9:54 AM

you'll cease to exist

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's not wrong

Aug 6, 2018, 9:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Data Science is an amazing thing.

Aug 6, 2018, 10:00 AM

Say I know you read tigernet. I can make an inference that you likely would be interested in Clemson Merchandise.

Now, say I know you have visited amazon and looked at butt plugs. And then you went to facebook and logged into WSB, then clicked on an ad for an Anker Charging block, and son and so forth...

Over time, that builds up. Imagine that instead of just one day, there was 7 years' worth of behavioral information. Now imagine that is aggregated over millions and millions of people. Eventually, all that happens is that behavioral patterns get linked to certain ad purchases.

The computing power it would take to listen to everybody's phone 24/7 doesn't exist, and the secondary problem of the network bandwidth to constantly record and upload is too much to overcome for them to use it to market things to you, when they can just as easily track your behavior online and make wicked good guesses based on your purchasing and browsing history - hell target can figure out your girl is pregnant based on her purchases before she even knows.

So are you saying that Clemson themed buttplugs exist with

Aug 6, 2018, 10:03 AM

charging capability? Would LOVE to have something a little more portable.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our Digital Strategy Director is supposed to be setting up a

Aug 6, 2018, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Data Science is an amazing thing. ]

trip to go tour Clemson's social media listening center based on the Radian6 platform sometime before the end of the year. This is amazing stuff.

https://www.clemson.edu/cbshs/departments/communication/centers/smlc.html

We've been vetting a possibly even better technology than Radian6 (which got scooped up by Salesforce) called Banjo.

https://ban.jo/

You wanna see something REALLY cool? Our Google rep recently told us to go look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1mEm2Fy08

I'm here to tell you...the Big Brother stuff you aren't even aware exists might blow your mind. We currently use a location-based marketing product that knows where you go with your phone and serves ads based on specific geofenced locations. part of my job these days is vetting the 'Big Brother' technologies. It's freaking amazing what is coming, and the level of accuracy is somewhat scary. Your overview of data science is doesn't even begin to describe the tools that advertising firms are bringing to market in the VERY near future.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, mine was the Sesame Street Simple version of it.

Aug 6, 2018, 12:07 PM

The decisions you can make and predict with current tools is absolutely amazing.

You know what's weirder?

Aug 6, 2018, 10:04 AM

I'll be discussing something with someone (enter any random subject...lets use the planet Mars as an example) and we wonder how long it would take to get there. I pull out my phone and go to google and type "How long" and before I type anything else...and with predictive text on google.... "would it take to get to mars" pops up as a suggestion.

GOOGLE IS ALWAYS LISTENING

Nothing is private anymore

Aug 6, 2018, 10:22 AM

I'm more convinced than ever we're going to end up like the Black Mirror "Nose Dive" episode.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happened to me with wood stain (posted a couple weeks back)

Aug 6, 2018, 10:14 AM

and it wasn't even a discussion with anyone - I just THOUGHT it. My dog had scratched up a door in my house and I decided that I needed to sand and re-stain it. (update: done) Didn't mention it to anyone or even ponder it out loud to myself. I did go to my shop and look for my old can of stain, which was dried out, meaning I needed to go purchase a new can.

Then later when I get on TigerNet there's an ad for wood stain.
And it freaked me out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sat night we were at a friends house talking about this

Aug 6, 2018, 10:23 AM

By the time we got home she sent a screenshot of an ad for Total Wine

Her husband had asked me where the beer I’d brought came from and that was my answer

Oooo weeee ooooo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I was listening to a biking podcast on the way home from

Aug 6, 2018, 11:03 AM

Asheville on Saturday. They mentioned a particular brand of hydration pack by name one time during the podcast (I remember this because I thought about rewinding to hear the name again) - luckily, the next time I opened FB on my iPhone, the first ad was for that hydration pack.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They listen

Aug 6, 2018, 6:12 PM

Supposedly it's all computerized, but they collect audio and when a brand name, or an item, or category of items are picked up and identified by the computers, they target your ads. Mine happened when my water line broke (the first time). Called wife and within 5 minutes I got an email from 811 reminding me to call before I dig. I hadn't even finished digging the freaking hole yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 377
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic