Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team..

Nov 17, 2016, 8:37 AM

Playoff? No bowls matter outside of the playoff with thia current system. Is it remotely possible to have a 16 team playoff one day? It would make the season so much more exciting watching so many teams trying to make the playoffs. Some of you are way smarter than I am. Tell me how it could happen or why it could not. Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team..

Nov 17, 2016, 8:42 AM

It would actually make the season less exciting. You would have 3-4 loss teams getting in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

And y'all still wouldn't be one of 'em.

Nov 17, 2016, 8:43 AM

;)

null

Re: And y'all still wouldn't be one of 'em.

Nov 17, 2016, 8:46 AM

Ahaaaaa! Zing!

Ring the bell!***

Nov 17, 2016, 8:47 AM

Who would travel to see #1 play #16, or #2 - 15

Nov 17, 2016, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: And y'all still wouldn't be one of 'em. ]

Who could afford to travel for up to 4 games?
The national championship is totally meaningless to people who don't like football, and making it to a bowl is very important to fans of less successful teams. It's not that the small bowls are meaningless (which in the grand scheme the playoff is); we're just too spoiled to be excited about us playing East Puppy State in the recycled bumper sticker bowl.
I hope they go to 8 games, but some of them would be duds.

Good points as far as travelling.

Nov 17, 2016, 9:28 AM

The TV audience would be huge though. It would be like how March Madness was in the past. It would be intense.

Another Angel got its wings with that bell ringer!

Nov 17, 2016, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: And y'all still wouldn't be one of 'em. ]

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Nice! Plus 1****

Nov 17, 2016, 8:50 AM [ in reply to And y'all still wouldn't be one of 'em. ]

Nov 17, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

The NCAA MBB tourney says hello...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

March Madness lost its luster with the one and done.****

Nov 17, 2016, 9:29 AM

Nov 17, 2016, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

And the regular season doesn't matter much in basketball. You can get in tournament with a .500 conference record.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Apples to Oranges

Nov 17, 2016, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

Not even close to the same thing

To be fair, I think that is his point

Nov 17, 2016, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

The MBB tournament is an amazing event. It's awesome to watch, but it does make regular season games individually less important. It minimizes huge upsets especially early in the season.

It works for basketball because there are so many games that each game was never quite as important as a football game in the grand scheme of things.

Remembering how I felt as the Pitt kicker made the kick, it felt like the whole season might have just gone south. There was a weight and an importance that just isn't there in most college basketball games. Losses hurt, sure, but no single loss seems nearly fatal or forces you to be perfect from then on. It just happens that 2 other teams had similar games Saturday and that caused us to be right back at the head of the mix. Each game carried a serious weight.

Getting to 16 or more teams invited makes that weight go even lower. Now, I like the ides of the big 5 conference champs getting in automatically, so that gives you an absolute 100% on paper path to the playoff that can't be trumped by eye tests, but even that is lessened if you go to 16 teams. The importance of our LOU's loss to us would be minimzed as they wouldn't be sweating at all.

For me 8 seems a perfect number. 5 conference champs and th best 3 otherwise. Games would remain super important (especially for seeding as being in the top 4 would be huge in my model as they host).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well hey there ncaa mbb tourney. How are you? Btw

Nov 17, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

Football is not basketball..

Have a nice day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 17, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Is is possible to at one point to have a 16 team.. ]

I agree, keep it at 4 teams.

And you could add a game or 2 in the reg season.

No. Cost, travel, time, and there aren't 16 deserving teams

Nov 17, 2016, 8:48 AM

I don't see anyway that the playoffs can expand to 4 games. Even if some of those games are held on campus.

Plus, there is no way to really tell a difference between teams 12-20. They are all flawed and not really deserving of a chance to play for a national championship. Right now 16-20 are LSU, FSU, Nebraska, Tennessee and Boise State. Are any of those teams playoff worthy? LSU, FSU and Tennessee have 3 losses. Nebraska has 2 losses to top 10 teams, but one of them was by 59 points. Their playoff run ended then.

The only way you do it is play less regular season games -

Nov 17, 2016, 8:50 AM

and that probably won't happen. That would mean playing teams in your conference less frequently which is an argument against expansion. This might have worked before conference expansion occurred in the 90s.

Right now, a team plays 12 regular season games, a possible championship game and a bowl or two semi-final games. That is a 14-15 game season. A sixteen team playoff would have the top team playing as many as 18 games in a season and extend the season further into January.

How about 8 teams?****

Nov 17, 2016, 8:52 AM

Nov 17, 2016, 8:57 AM

Playoffs should only expand to 8 teams MAX.

I say 8 teams because that can get more teams in if there is a fluke champion like Michigan State one year.

Agreed only a maximum of 8. Never more than that.

Nov 17, 2016, 4:39 PM

Even 6 with the top 2 getting a first round bye could potentially work, but NEVER double digit teams getting in.

Re: 16 team..no matter how many teams

Nov 17, 2016, 8:59 AM

someone will always have the "we were left out argument". look at hoops and it proliferation. keep it at 4 and reward excellence

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see your point, but I think...

Nov 17, 2016, 9:06 AM

there could be excellence at 5 or 6?

Re: I see your point, but I think...

Nov 17, 2016, 9:09 AM

It would be unfair to give a couple teams a bye week. Huge unfair advantage in CFB.

No need for 16 teams

Nov 17, 2016, 9:12 AM

And all but 1 bowl (or 2 in some years) never mattered in the sense of crowning a champion.

8 Teams seems to me to be the sweet spot between making sure every game in the season matter, reinforcing the value of winning a conference championship, and allowing 1 or 2 non conference champs (or no power 5 conference champs) in.

8 teams.
First round at the higher seed's home 2 weeks after conference championships.
Then carry on with the 4 winner like we have now (don't reseed in my opinion).

Bowls carry on as they do now otherwise.

Makes too much sense to me

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep it at 4, but ...

Nov 17, 2016, 4:32 PM

Reduce the number of Power conferences to 4

8 is enough if you have conference championship

Nov 17, 2016, 9:14 AM

Games that mean something.

I would also shorten the regular season to 10 or 11 games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'd rather see an 8-game playoff at the expense of the CCGs.

Nov 17, 2016, 5:04 PM

Usually they're play "out" games versus "off" or "in". Host the first round that week then cast the losers into the rest of the bowl selection process for later. If anything this would allow conferences to ditch divisions, which have shown themselves to be poorly balanced mostly and underperforming in their overall function. I'm certain that the media payoff for the conferences would be far greater than what they're bringing in now, though you might have to offer a caveat to the SEC to allow them and Atlanta to be a permanent host site while the rest rotate through the other four conferences annually.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think eight is the ideal number***

Nov 17, 2016, 9:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FCS has a 24 team playoff.

Nov 17, 2016, 9:35 AM

So, 16 is certainly doable. It would eliminate the questions about bias, relative conference strength, strength of schedule, etc. that the current system encourages.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FCS has different conference format.

Nov 17, 2016, 10:00 AM

And far less crybabies.

Let's hope not***

Nov 17, 2016, 9:39 AM

16 Team play-off----Just say "no"

Nov 17, 2016, 9:57 AM

I don't like the 16 team play-off, and here's why...
Never in all my years have a I ever, ever- seen teams outside the top 5 or 6
that had a legiment grip that they deserve a shot at the NC. 98% of the time
no one even outside the top 5 for that matter. But, what I would like to see
is...
Condense the conferences down 4-- doing away with the BIG 12?
16 teams per conferences, and keep the play offs at 4 teams. Trying to get
the conference winners.
Then, expand the reg season from 12 games to maybe 14.
And you can still do the bowls games as well.
Thats my thoughts.

Nov 17, 2016, 9:58 AM

I think 4 is too few and 16 is too many. 8 team playoff or 6 team with top 2 seeds getting a bye is ideal..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2016, 10:12 AM

I don't want that many teams in it, it takes too much away from the college game where every game matters. 6 teams have been brought up with giving #'s 1&2 a bye week but I doubt that any school wants to give up the revenue that a game takes in so I don't see that happening. 8 teams would be good, that way every conference champion gets a spot with 3 spots left for deserving teams.

Yes. We all know why a true playoff will never

Nov 17, 2016, 10:55 AM

Happen.

Too much money left on the table.

Nov 17, 2016, 4:57 PM

That would ruin cfb

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic