Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not an X's and O's guy but why does our offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 2,543

Not an X's and O's guy but why does our offense

Jan 7, 2018, 8:21 PM

Generally not use a fullback? Is it kind of an antiquated position? Also, I don't play close enough attention but do we use the pistol formation much anymore?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not an X's and O's guy but why does our offense

Jan 7, 2018, 8:22 PM

Pro-Style Offense normally features use of the full back...We run the spread-option/zone-read offense....So to answer your question...Different style of offensive philosophies.

We do run the pistol here and there...We usually feature ours with a TE as lead block out of the backfield...

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Tommy Bowden

Jan 7, 2018, 8:31 PM

ran them off

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The offense doesn't use a fullback becausev

Jan 7, 2018, 11:12 PM

a fullback is not a part of our offensive mindset.

They've done extremely well with very, very minimal use of a fullback. I'm good with their choices. The results speaks for themselves.

Hope that helps

Re: Not an X's and O's guy but why does our offense

Jan 8, 2018, 1:42 PM

FBs have generally been phased out of all levels of football because a dedicated blocker who's basically a big slow RB just doesn't give you the ability to spread it out like everybody wants to do. It's become more efficient to just have a TE slide into the backfield in regular sets because that still gives you an athletic pass catcher on the field if you want to check out of the run. And for goal line sets, you can just bring in a lineman because he's either going to run out as a decoy, or just run straight ahead with no real strategy other than hit whatever is in front of you.

Personally, I don't like it because running out of the shotgun leads to a ton of 2nd and 9s which basically means you just wasted first down. Both of my teams, Clemson and the Panthers have had issues with this over the past few years. Carolina was still trying to use a FB, but Mike Tolbert was basically just a surprisingly athletic, fat RB with below average blocking skills. Carolina has this reputation of being a power running team, but the truth is, without Cam, they'd be near the bottom of the league over the past 7 years because they don't have anybody that can really open up holes. True FBs give you an extra yard or so before contact by leading through the running lane and blowing up the defender who comes down to fill the hole that the line just opened. At best, they pancake the guy and create a wide open lane to the secondary. At worst they occupy a defender and give the RB a choice of which side to cut towards once they get past the LoS.

In Clemson's case, and this was especially evident during the Chad Morris days, this style of offense just doesn't give you the ability to control the game. You generally either score a long TD, or you get a 3 and out because you get behind schedule after a short 1st down run, then have to try to catch up on 2nd and 3rd. They've gotten a little better at it over the past few seasons, but much of that was due to Watson's ability to pick up yardage on scrambles or Gallman's refusal to go down, and then tailoring the offense to be more run-oriented because of Bryant's limitations as a passer this past year.

Hopefully over the next few years, we'll see offenses swing back to this style of play. The wide open, quick strike passing offense can be fun to watch when it's working, but it's maddening when you just need to run clock to win a game.

Replies: 4
| visibility 2,543
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic