Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone know why Clemson played Duke in Norfolk, VA in 1971???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Does anyone know why Clemson played Duke in Norfolk, VA in 1971???

Sep 26, 2018, 11:31 PM

I was flipping through the Tigers Media Guide looking at past seasons when I saw this. The game was played on 10/9/1971 & the good guys in Orange won 3-0. According to the rotation the game should have been played in Durham. So I don't know why it was played in Norfolk, Virginia? I remember noticing something else odd with past Clemson/Duke matchups a few years back. That was where Clemson played 3 straight years in Death Valley from 1986-1988. I heard this was because Duke didn't have very good attendance and they basically sold Clemson an extra home game? Then Clemson played the Blue Devils in Tokyo, Japan in 1991. Also the Tigers played in Durham 2 years in a row in 1993 & 1994. But Clemson played every ACC team those 2 years at the same location except Virginia, Weird. I assume this could have possibly been because of the addition of Florida State around that time? Kinda like when the scheduling got a little funny a few years back and Georgia Tech played 2 years in a row @ the Valley. I don't know or remember I was only 10 years old in 1994. Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Go Tigers, Beat the Cuse & GOD Bless Clemson!!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone know why Clemson played Duke in Norfolk, VA in 1971???

Sep 26, 2018, 11:34 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_Bowl

Sep 26, 2018, 11:52 PM

That's awesome, thanks a ton!

Go Tigers, Beat Cuse & GOD Bless Clemson

Sep 27, 2018, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone know why Clemson played Duke in Norfolk, VA in 1971??? ]

wow Clemson wins 3 - 0. 60 minutes of football for one field goal. Thanks for posting.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:51 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Classic_(college_football)

Thanks again!!!

Sep 27, 2018, 12:03 AM

For some reason I must have forgotten that Clemson played twice in Japan. I don't remember either of them but I know I've read about those games before. BUT Hey the Tigers are 2-0 in Tokyo!! Whoop Whoop!!!!!!!

Go Tigers, Beat Cuse & GOD Bless Clemson

I remember this game and, all too sadly,

Sep 27, 2018, 12:34 AM

that entire era.....I refer to it as the "oft lamented Hootie era" (although I believe Red Parker got there in 73)....and this is not to cast any aspersions on the players, cheerleaders, stadium staff, etc...many of whom were friends.

I knew the game had something to do with the Shriners Hospital for kids and I vaguely remembered the score being representative of the futility of those years.. ...but at least it was in support of a wonderful charity

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2018, 1:35 AM

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/history/article_0d028cf3-606a-5af5-9c97-d61f3969c0a6.html

The next week we palyed UVA in the Tobacco Bowl in Richmond.

Sep 27, 2018, 7:59 AM

I recall them interviewing Bill McLellan at Halftime, he said "This is the only bowl we are going to this year."

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic