Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Brownell thinks renovated Littlejohn will "help our program"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Brownell thinks renovated Littlejohn will "help our program"

Nov 5, 2013, 9:17 PM

Brownell thinks renovated Littlejohn will "help our program"

Clemson head basketball coach Brad Brownell opened up about the plans to renovate Littlejohn Coliseum, and he says those plans will be a big boost to the Clemson basketball program. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt.***

Nov 5, 2013, 9:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The real question is whether or not Brownlee will be around

Nov 5, 2013, 10:23 PM

to see it.

I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an

Nov 5, 2013, 10:32 PM

excellent representative of Clemson athletics. I hope Brownell stays here for many, many years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like him, too. Agree with your thoughts.***

Nov 5, 2013, 10:35 PM

Re: I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an

Nov 5, 2013, 10:35 PM [ in reply to I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an ]

he is larry shyatt with better hair.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In what way is he like Shyatt?

Nov 6, 2013, 12:12 AM

Shyatt-1 year as a head coach prior to coming here
Brownell-8 very successful years as a head coach

Shyatt-very average game coach
Brownell-best in game coach since Bill Foster

Shyatt-took a team off 3 straight NCAA's to the NIT
Brownell-took a team off 3 straight NCAA's and won a tourney game

Shyatt-inherited a stacked roster and very good recruiting class
Brownell-inherited a good roster and no recruiting class

OP's last full class consisted of Milt, Book, Noel Johnson and Donte Hall. It was rated as our best class ever. In reality, it was the biggest bust of a class in our history. The reality of Brownell's situation is beginning his second year he was facing a complete rebuild. Young and Smith were nice players, but not the type to take a team to the tourney. Certainly Milt and Book were not. He's never brought back his best players as they've graduated. Seeing as they were all here before he arrived that's no fault of his. His recruits are just now becoming juniors. His recruiting has improved every year. Everyone rags on the recruiting but he has two 4 star recruits on this roster and and eight 3 star guys, and that's right in line with what we've always had. We've just always had some upperclassmen. The guy desreves time and I think he gets it. We improve and have a winning record this year overall

Shyatt couldn't recruit and Brownell has yet to prove that

Nov 6, 2013, 9:30 AM

can really recruit on this level either. Brownell might not have inherited much beyond the SR class that he had his first year, but our roster has continually gotten less talented during his tenure. He needs to shown signs of progress over the next two seasons or he's gone.

And FWIW i like Brownell and think he's a very solid

Nov 6, 2013, 9:32 AM

X's and O's coach. He's much better than OP in that regard. But you can't win in the ACC with Horizon league talent, and that's where we are right now.

Who's fault is that? Everyone on the roster is his recruit

Nov 6, 2013, 12:10 PM

He did well with OP's players the first year here, every year since it's been worse and worse.

You must've completely misread my post.***

Nov 6, 2013, 12:16 PM

You can count on one hand the number of freshmen we

Nov 6, 2013, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Shyatt couldn't recruit and Brownell has yet to prove that ]

have recruited the last 20 years who have had a real impact. Brownell does need to start turning the corner, but this is the first year where he is really playing with some of his guys with a little experience. Teams like Clemson win with rosters loaded with upperclassmen who have learned their lessons and improved. We're still a year away from that as a real barometer for Brownell. His upperclassmen in his first 3 years have all been guys recruited to an entirely different style and system. His first year, with guys like Stitt and Grant having excellent senior years and guys like Young and Smith being what they were, good complimentary players, we were good. His second season brought those complimentary players in to lead roles, for which they were not talented enough to fill. Last year, well, Milt and Book and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores was never going to be a winning recipe. This year we'll begin to see whether guys who have flashed some realy ability, guys like KJ, Roper, Filer, Coleman and guys who have excellent athleticism like Blossomgame, Nnoko and the likes can take those next steps. We are not going to the tourney, but if they do, we'll improve. If not, then yes, Brownell will be on a real hot seat next year, as that is the year we have to take a major step forward

Re: Shyatt couldn't recruit and Brownell has yet to prove that

Nov 6, 2013, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Shyatt couldn't recruit and Brownell has yet to prove that ]

Do you have any clue how hard it is to recuit to Clemson? A school with almost zero Basketball tradition? I think he is doing a heck of a job and will only get better.

Jaron Bossomgame, Sidy Djitte and Donte Grantham

Nov 6, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Shyatt couldn't recruit and Brownell has yet to prove that ]

would disagree with your assessment.

Re: I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an

Nov 6, 2013, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an ]

wow what a stupid comment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yea, who doesnt like being 12th out of 14 teams. Awesome***

Nov 6, 2013, 12:07 PM [ in reply to I hope so. I think Brownell is a great coach and an ]

Re: The real question is whether or not Brownlee will be around

Nov 6, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to The real question is whether or not Brownlee will be around ]

Unfortunately, until much better player amenities such as a state of the art practice facility and locker room/lounge are in place, recruiting won't pick up appreciably. These things should've been put in place during the last renovation, but as always with the basketball program, things were done too cheaply. Brownell is in a difficult situation until he has something very appealing to show recruits, not just a game time facility. Will be interesting to see if he's given the time to see what he can do with sufficient upgrades.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Who is this??***

Nov 5, 2013, 11:19 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't LJ Recently Renovated?

Nov 6, 2013, 8:31 AM

Seems like in the past 10- 12 years we renovated, added a practice gym, did locker rooms, offices etc.

It wasn't done well

Nov 6, 2013, 9:45 AM

there are high schools with better practice gyms

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell thinks renovated Littlejohn will "help our program"

Nov 6, 2013, 11:38 AM

I'm glad to see this. If we are going to play a sport, we need to put a 100% effort into it. If we are not willing to do that, we should drop the sport.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While LJ certainly needs some fixing up on the inside,

Nov 6, 2013, 12:07 PM

taking away about 2000 seats doesnt appear to be the answer.

The most help

Nov 6, 2013, 12:37 PM

Would be an upgrade in player talent. The building's impact on recruiting is vastly overrated.

Winning more games would probably help, too.

Nov 6, 2013, 12:46 PM

Yes,upgrading the overall talent level would be the catalyst for this to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Brownell thinks renovated Littlejohn will "help our program" ***

Nov 6, 2013, 1:17 PM

Regarding recruiting. It's getting better...

Nov 6, 2013, 1:30 PM

Last spring got JC player Djambo who good programs like St. Louis, Kansas State and S Miss really wanted. Then a couple weeks later got a commit from Sidy Djitte the top remaining big man for 2013 who chose Clemson over Memphis at the end. And just two weeks ago got a commit from Brownell's best prospect yet, Donte Grantham a top 100 player for the 2014 class. I prospect who keeps getting better. I think he is a top 50 player. He scored 28 pts in game vs. mighty Oak Hill Academy last week including 5 3s. If Brownell can just tread water this year which I think he will have at least a winning record, things like really strong from here. What do you think of that?

Thank you, Creole Tiger

Nov 6, 2013, 1:38 PM

Michigan the runner up to N Champion Louisville really wanted Grantham too...

I'll believe it when I see it. Money wasted, IMO.***

Nov 6, 2013, 1:38 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic