Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"

Nov 29, 2016, 12:37 PM

Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"

Nov 29, 2016, 12:45 PM

:)

Oculus is so profound***

Nov 29, 2016, 12:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oculus is so profound***

Nov 29, 2016, 2:34 PM

i love the oculus!

Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo

Nov 29, 2016, 12:48 PM

This story was widely recognized as just another unsubstantiated claim but now every media outlet is going to run with your overblown response. So what if they reported it? Whether it's substantiated or not a player making a claim like that it news. Story would have died out by tomorrow but now we're going to have a major distraction the week before a conference championship game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true.***

Nov 29, 2016, 12:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO. Players are focusing on the game. Dabo is dealing with

Nov 29, 2016, 12:55 PM

the Press, as lame as some of it is....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that the fire is roaring, I'll donate some propane tanks

Nov 29, 2016, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

Dabo said something that needed to be said about the putrid excuse for so-called journalism that permeates the Twatter culture (and no, i spelled it that way on purpose).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo

Nov 29, 2016, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

100% glad he answered it this way. He is defending the integrity of his players and program, at the same time calling out the media who isn't worried about collecting facts. I only wished he would have called out the individual media members who ran with the false accusations. Another reason Dabo is a great coach.

The media had the facts. The facts were in what the coot

Nov 29, 2016, 12:57 PM

players said. Heck, it's on tape.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The media had the facts. The facts were in what the coot

Nov 29, 2016, 1:23 PM

Just because a butthurt Coot player said something did or didn't happen doesn't mean it's a fact.

Are you saying that someone has it (the racial slur) on tape/audio because I haven't seen that. Sources?

The media is a huge problem in this country, and this is a perfect example of how messed up the media is. They have an agenda (they are almost all Coot alums) and will put stuff like this out there knowing full well that if it's untrue, to most of their readers if it's reported or in print then they'll accept it as truth and then it becomes part of the narrative. The main stream media in this country had a huge agenda in the presidential election - to get Hillary elected - and did everything in their power to reach that objective. I know, I know...it's politics and I'm sorry for putting that out there.

But, the media is a problem and this mess with what the Coot players said happened, which has changed several times, apparently has legs whether Dabo says something about it or doesn't.

I, for one, am glad that he is taking up for his players and his program. I doubt most of those hacks in the media will print his side of this story, though.

Go Tigers!

MT

The fact is that he said it.***

Nov 29, 2016, 1:47 PM

I am a sexy male model who is married to a beautiful

Nov 29, 2016, 3:37 PM

Victoria Secret model.

There ... it is a fact; I said it ... doesn't make it true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

When he said it, were there follow up questions?

Nov 29, 2016, 4:31 PM [ in reply to The fact is that he said it.*** ]

When was this said?
Which player said it?
Don't know his name? What number was he?
Can you describe the entire exchange?

Isn't it the responsibility of the media to ask those kinds of questions in order to determine the validity of the original accusation? Just taking a comment like that at face value and reporting it without even trying to determine if it is accurate is very poor journalism.

That's just irresponsible journalism.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 PM [ in reply to The media had the facts. The facts were in what the coot ]

Once somewhat says anything about racism anymore, it's done. There are a lot of people who heard "rural SC school is a bunch of racists" and moved on. And everyone knows that would happen. But they want the clicks and they want the headline.

Do your job.

Which player said it? How could you not know but know it was a white O lineman? There are three white O lineman. Was it this one? This one? This one?

Journalism is dead as a profession.

null

No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's

Nov 29, 2016, 1:48 PM

news.

Re: No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's

Nov 29, 2016, 2:10 PM

Lol this might be the dumbest thing I've heard on the internet today

So, if they were interviewing the coot players that made the

Nov 29, 2016, 3:17 PM

racist claims and they started talking about having Martians talk to them the night before, would that be news?

how many stars does the martian have***

Nov 29, 2016, 3:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking 54 stars since you have to assume that Martians

Nov 29, 2016, 3:45 PM

are fast.

But who said something stupid? Where are the details?

Nov 29, 2016, 2:31 PM [ in reply to No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's ]

That's my problem with this whole thing. If the USC player said "#13 (or Renfrow) on Clemson's team" (just to use an example) called me the n-word, then they've got a story.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's

Nov 29, 2016, 3:46 PM [ in reply to No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's ]

Well congratulations... I guess that makes you newsworthy today

That is asinine, Joe. The story was in no way shape or form

Nov 29, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to No, it's not. When someone says something stupid, that's ]

"Someone said something stupid."
The story was that someone at Clemson said something completely unacceptable in 2016 America.

Your Martian example makes no sense. If someone is quoted as saying something stupid that doesn't smear the image of an opposing player, team, fan base or institution, fine. If that's what you consider news, have at it. But the Gamecock slandered Clemson with no substantiation. To report on it is to validate it.

null

"Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not

Nov 29, 2016, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

POSSIBLY be more wrong.

There is NO wrong time for a coach to SUPPORT his team and there is NEVER a wrong time for a person to stand up for what is right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: "Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not

Nov 29, 2016, 1:18 PM

1. You can support your players without calling for people to be fired.

2. Is reporting both sides of a story not right? Bill Clinton's sexual assault claims were never substantiated but I'm betting you had not problem with those being reported.

Reporting both sides would be right...that's the point.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:27 PM

The media guy just reported a statement from a butt hurt player and ran with it. Didn't bother asking any Clemson people to respond like a journalist should.

TOTAL whiff on your part about the politics - our entire

Nov 29, 2016, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: "Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not ]

political system is ridiculously broken & the vast majority of ALL professional politicians should be strung up & made a mockery of in front of their entire constituency - and then fired.

TOTAL whiff on your part - not even a good try.

RESPONSIBLE journalism occurs BEFORE the story gets "published" . . . not after the fact with a "counter point" article that is probably just as sensationalized as the first one.

Some guy says that some guys said some stuff . . . .

Responsible journalism:

OK - who else heard it ?

Does this make sense - why would a guy that is part of a group say something before the biggest game of the year that would alienate himself FROM THE VAST MAJORITY of his OWN group ?

What was the context of the purported statement - was it incited, was it taken out of context, who was it directed towards & for what purpose ?

Does it make sense & sound plausible ?

Our journalism today: PUBLISH IT ! ! ! TWEET IT ! ! ! GOTTA BE FIRST ! ! ! !

Responsible journalism has to start again somewhere - you can't just say - HEY - something happened 15 years ago in a completely different arena & it was done incorrectly - so it is OK for me to do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: "Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not

Nov 29, 2016, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: "Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not ]

I've not been on here much lately...are you the new resident Dbag?

Did Ben Bradlee let Woodward/Bernstein just run w/it?

Nov 29, 2016, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: "Whether it is substantiated or not" . . . you could not ]

No ... he had a huge story, but he made his reporters double and triple check the facts before he let them run with it.

Racism is a serious accusation to make and in today's highly charged environment, it is particularly incumbent on those who level the charge and those who report it to be correct.

Sadly, there is very little integrity and honor among today's "journalists" and biased unsubstantiated reporting is the norm.

Nov 29, 2016, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

I'm extremely proud of Dabo for an honest response to an issue that I also believe has gotten out of control. Dabo is 100% correct and my first thought when I read about the accusations was, "did the reporter even speak to a Clemson representative to get their take on the so called accusation?" THANK YOU DABO for putting the facts out there. This is another reason why I love having you as our head coach!

Why Dabo will NOT overlook this...

Nov 29, 2016, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

Because Dabo knows it did not take place and he is going to CLEARLY point out his football program does not behave as was alleged. Dabo and his assistants have to walk in recruits' homes almost every week between now and the first of February, and he doesn't want there to be any morsel of racism acceptance by his program. You know, the kind of behavior where Baylor overlooked knowledge of girls getting raped on campus, and Penn State allowing one of their own assistants to molest young children.

Nope. Dabo is not going to sit down in a young man's house and continue to act like it is something that should be ignored if his minority mother or father asks if all of the rumors in the press are true. And unless you don't realize it, recruiters from other schools are already playing that card ("Clemson has little/no diversity") against us to these kids, so it only adds fuel to the fire.

All Dabo is doing is pointing out that he knows no one under his control on that field uttered what the coots claimed, and he's right. The press should pay the consequences for such libel - cause that's exactly what it is.

No, Dabo just solidified his relationship with his players.

Nov 29, 2016, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

They know he has their back, they will appreciate it, and they will fight for their coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 30, 2016, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Way to throw gas on a fire Dabo ]

Maybe you would make a better head coach. 5, 11 win seasons overall and 4 of them in the last5 years. I'll go with Dabo's view.

Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation

Nov 29, 2016, 12:52 PM

to report what the Clemson and SC players said after the game.

If the SC players dreamed up some bogus racism claims, that's on those players, not the media.

Plus, I'm sure many people other than reporters were in the room. How does this not get out?

Thank you

Nov 29, 2016, 1:00 PM

They reported both sides of the story (the claim and the denial) and it should have been left at that.

Re: Thank you

Nov 29, 2016, 1:03 PM

uh dabo did not bring it up. it was asked by the coot kmac.

No, You're Wrong

Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Thank you ]

Look at this article from the Charleston P&C:

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/usc-clemson-post-game-emotions-include-accusation-of-racial-slur/article_44e76878-b46f-11e6-84a1-0b2961f65b7b.html

No mention of Clemson's side of the accusation.

MT

Josh Kendall with The State most definitely did not

Nov 29, 2016, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Thank you ]

He immediately reported the racial slur allegation prior to Dabo saying that our guys denied saying anything of the sort.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's believe some butt-hurt guy who just got stomped

Nov 29, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

in a game... no corroboration necessary. "He said it, I printed it." That's PRECISELY what's wrong with what passes as journalism by some...

Do you usually get your news from FB and Twitter?***

Nov 29, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation

Nov 29, 2016, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

should you not be worried about that hillary recount. geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Once again, nothing intelligent to say on the subject at

Nov 29, 2016, 2:01 PM

hand.

ESPN put that one quote on its front page instead of anythin

Nov 29, 2016, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

about the game. They did this because they know race stuff is click bait. It's irresponsible. They selected a highly questionable quote and blew it full up with no regard to the effect that might have.

They didn't just report the truth. They framed a sliver of the truth at our expense to get extra clicks. That is awful.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Initial reports were linked to College FB Front pages ...

Nov 29, 2016, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

on ESPN and Bleacher Report. It only referenced one Tweet and perhaps another "statement" - not sure from actual player statement or Facebook. I never saw the retraction from either of these sources. Mind you the initial reports came across as an "alert" to my phone and was linked to all searches for Clemson Football on both sites until Sunday evening.

Several talking heads picked up on it and commented on radio and TV.

Clearly Dabo's point was :
1) The initial report was not substantiated or collaborated.
2) The initial report was much more widespread and emphasized then any retraction.

Through an unfounded, inaccurate accusation and subtle insinuations, damage was done to the Clemson brand.

The "unfounded, inaccurate accusation and subtle

Nov 29, 2016, 2:52 PM

insinutions" did happen though, and that's the story.

The story isn't that Clemson players said racist things. The story is that Carolina players said the Clemson players said racist things.

In this insane racial climate that is enough to bring down

Nov 30, 2016, 9:16 AM

a University President.

All you need is an accusation from a black person, and then a protest and then if you don't fire someone or apologize the media grows it into a monster.

You need a little luck to avoid that scenario. Not being racist will not save you from the race-obsessed mob.

I agree, but only in part

Nov 29, 2016, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

Yes, it's news if college football players are calling other college football players racial epithets. But too many times, journalists are just scanning social media for some random comment (like the one that was made this time) and doing no work to corroborate anything, including actually talking to the player who made the social media post. I don't personally think social media should be news.

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:44 PM

Mainstream media, on several topics, is a total farce. It's just more sophisticated in its delivery of fake news. Only people trained/practiced in the art of evaluating the validity of sources have any chance of learning anything true about the world. And once a person has that skill, they can find better news on Twitter than nearly anywhere else. Twitter is like pure capitalism for news. You are on your own... and most people will lose. But for those who know what they are doing, it's an amazing resource. Makes mainstream news nearly totally obsolete.

+1 for corroborate....

Nov 29, 2016, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I agree, but only in part ]

... just sayin'...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation

Nov 29, 2016, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

The problem is, the media did BOT get both sides of the story. They simply took a comment made by one SC player and blew it up. That's not doing your job and completely unprofessional in my opinion.

Following your logic....

Nov 29, 2016, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Disagree with Dabo. The sports media has an obligation ]

You would have no problem with the media reporting that you raped some woman, even though you did not. I bet your wife would have a problem with that because she would question whether or not YOU are telling the truth, ruining your credibility.

The last time Swinney went on a rant...

Nov 29, 2016, 1:04 PM

... after the South Carolina game we absolutely smashed Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game the following Saturday. Go Tigers!!!

Totally agree. Players get the reminder of who their leader

Nov 29, 2016, 1:08 PM

is - walking the walk & talking the talk - and they are ready to smash down brick walls again for him.

I agree with what Dabo is saying, but he shouldn't say it.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:34 PM

Stories like that (anything to do with race and blacks) have a chance to do serious damage. Look what happened at Mizzou. Despite ESPN's best shot, the story didn't take off and it died.

What Dabo said was the equivalent of throwing the ball up in the endzone with 5:00 to go and we are up by two scores. If he just threw it away we would automatically win. The story was dead. But he just tossed it up in the middle of the endzone. Something else for the news to post as a headline. Now we have to hope that it's not intercepted and ran back to our 30. Yeah, maybe it's a TD, but we don't need one to accomplish our mission.

Ask yourself this...
How can his statement help Clemson? (Barely if at all) What are the odds of that? (Probably not good)

How can his statement hurt Clemson? (lead to a firestorm of crazy BS) What are the odds of that? (Better than I'd like)

READING COMPREHENSION fellas....

Nov 29, 2016, 2:07 PM

Dabo's problem is with the methods of media nowadays....

not verifying sources and the like.

That has nothing to do with whether there is a current "story" or not, nor

whether you agree with how he was dealing with it, nor

whether we agree on what the responsibility of media is, nor

whether you agree on what the timing of that responsibility is, nor

whether you're afraid of blowback, lol.

And now IS the time to demand more and better from them (the media)

just as they demanded more and better from him and the team after the Pitt loss (and beyond).

Dabo's just dang smarter than his listeners around here most of the time....

Re: FB Update: Swinney on media reporting on allegations of racial slurs: "They should be fired"

Nov 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

Agree with Dabo. Sounded like a lie to me. First it was an "unidentified Clemson O lineman" - had to be a white guy, right? So - how hard is it to ask which one? Then it was "fans" - so when do fans talk to the players? That place was so loud, how could a player on the field hear the N word. How many N words in the (c)rap music blaring in the Carolina player's earphones? What a bunch of horse shush. Media jumped all over it. Shame on them. 55-7.

Dec 1, 2016, 12:34 AM

No follow up with any of the South Carolina players? When exactly were things said? Where were they said? Who could have heard these things being said? No follow up with any of the South Carolina coaches? If any of them have made any comments on this subject at all then I haven't heard it. I realize they wouldn't say a whole lot, but wouldn't you at least reach out and ask them? At the very least ask if any of their players came to them about any comments, and if they did then what exactly were they told?

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic