Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How would moving to the Big 12 hurt football recruiting in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,584

How would moving to the Big 12 hurt football recruiting in

May 13, 2012, 2:32 PM

our base of NC, SC, GA, and Fl?

I'm not talking about killing it but hurting us, like recruiting against UF and Miami in Florida(if FSU were in Big 12 also)?

Recruiting against GT and UGA in GA if GT didn't go?

I think it hurts us bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

May 13, 2012, 2:35 PM

I think it would hurt our exposure in this area and be a negative for a lot of kids to not play teams in this region.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You guys might be right about bordering state's recruits.

May 13, 2012, 2:43 PM

I know having parent to be able to come to home game is a big factor with 18-20 yr olds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know, I'm not sure one way or the other.

May 13, 2012, 2:41 PM

I might be inclined to think that a better football conference might help some in NC and Georgia. As far as FSU and Florida we might not get hurt at all. I think our success there is founded on the integrity of our University, football program and coaches.

How is our recruiting against UGA now?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would moving to the Big 12 hurt football recruiting in

May 13, 2012, 2:44 PM

NC yes, but I don't think they get excited to play Wale or Duke. However, family does get to watch. Ga, possibly, but we recruit mainly against UGa and not Gt. I don't think we'll be Hurt in fla as long as FSU comes, they love playing FSU.

Very true. I thought that when TCU was joining the Big East.

May 13, 2012, 2:45 PM

I wondered how TCU was going to walk into a recruit's house and tell him to get excited about playing northeastern schools. Those kids don't care about playing UConn anymore than South Carolina kids care about playing Iowa.

null

What?!? Just because we would be in the BIG XII doesn't mean

May 13, 2012, 2:54 PM

That Clemson is going to relocate the university. Our base recurring wouldn't change at ALL. In fact, going to the Big XII could only help our recruiting inside and outside of our base. And we've recruited well compared to other teams in the Big XII. As of the last 3 years (in order), we would have ranked 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in recruiting rankings in Big XII...

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

players want to play on TV, in big games and have shiny

May 13, 2012, 3:01 PM

new toys to play with. If we continue to lose in TV contract battle we won't have any of that.

hell, we kept TB for 10 yrs because the fear of losing recruits, looks like that excuse didn't hold up

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB is another issue.

May 13, 2012, 3:03 PM

I never spoke out against a sitting coach but I'd have fired his butt after five or six years.

you're correct, he should have been fired, but all I heard

May 13, 2012, 3:29 PM

was...what about the recruits?

today we're still paying for his lack of talent at OL/LB and now we're in the hole and trying to dig out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you're correct, he should have been fired, but all I heard

May 13, 2012, 3:39 PM

easy now some of TBs lb's were some really good ones....The moment blackwell,ron west and vic koening left our def recruiting took a dip. Ron west and blackwell were 2 of the best we had at identifying football talent. Now with OL weve had a lot of misses,,,,guys who were well thought of but didnt pan out weve also had some bad luck with jk jay's injury...that set us back a lot further than people realize...Til we get out of the acc(or the acc becomes relevant in football) we are going to struggle getting serious talent on both sides of the line of scrimmage from here on out. Its already happening with this recruiting class...Its the one area where sc,ga,and uf are hammering us with recruits because we are in the acc. They have it in kids heads that you cant be a high nfl guy coming out of the acc. If we were in the sec we would have had bullard and ndkemeche would have commited to us. We have great appeal to recruits but are association with the acc is hurting us with the big names on the OL and DL.

The kids might not mind however......

May 13, 2012, 3:05 PM

their families will have a very difficult time traveling to see their kids play. All coaches will tell you, you have to get on Mamas good side in the recruiting process. If she has to travel from Clemson to Iowa she's probably not gonna be too happy. Of course their are exceptions but for most it'll be difficult.

May 13, 2012, 3:08 PM

I agree for the most part, but that's not always the case. Clowneys mama wanted him at Clemson if I recall.

May 13, 2012, 3:25 PM

Are you saying our recruiting will hurt us in ga if we go to the big 12??/ How in the world would it hurt us

Most games against teams from three states over.***

May 13, 2012, 3:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most games against teams from three states over.***

May 13, 2012, 3:41 PM

I dont believe this would hurt us at all,,,besides for the big 12 to add us and fsu they would have to add 2 other eastern schools...Big 12 is gonna go to 14, theyd be dumb not to...the one thing bout georgia and florida kids is they will go just bout anywhere

May 13, 2012, 5:53 PM

Agree. I think they would go to 14. The only question is can they pull 4 teams at one time? If they can only get 2 now and get 2 the next year...it might be a little rought at first but it will balance itself out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2012, 6:02 PM

I dont think they would have trouble at getting teams at the same time...

May 13, 2012, 3:48 PM

I don't think it will hurt as most would think. There are plenty of recruits that commit to schools that aren't close to their part of the country. For instance, OU has several recruits from FLA, CA, and parts of the southwest and it hasn't hurt them. Thats the same with some other big name schools. I just don't see Clemson or FSU hurting in recruiting if a move was made.

Im not sure I follow. How would it hurt us? What kid would

May 13, 2012, 3:58 PM

turn down Clemson and FSU bc they wanted to play in the ACC instead of the Big12? I dont think it would hurt us as far as UF and UGA are concerned bc we compete against them while being attached to the worst FB conference in America. If we moved to the Big12 I think it would actually help us.

Don't you think it helps recruiting Atlanta kids that we

May 13, 2012, 4:17 PM

play GT, or Miami kids that we play Miami, or NC kids that we play UNC/State...

Not really. Theres no such thing as a GT fan. All the kids

May 13, 2012, 4:49 PM

in GA are UGA fans and we dont play them, yet we still get talent from there. I could see a drop off in NC, but not much. Our ties there are strong, and we have facilities and a program tradition that cant be rivaled by anyone in NC. We would still play FSU every year so we could still recruit Fla. Honestly, if Miami wants to kid from Southern Fla, then they will get him. Playing Miami wont help us there.

Disagree with all of that. Being able to drive less than an

May 13, 2012, 4:52 PM

always helps.

It wouldn't hurt at all. We will have the ability to have

May 13, 2012, 5:46 PM

better facilities, better coaches, and more exposure.

HS kids do not care about playing in the area more so than the things listed above... mainly the exposure aspect on ESPN.

Re: It wouldn't hurt at all. We will have the ability to have

May 13, 2012, 5:51 PM

Agree. Which would a kid rather do if they are a recruit of Clemson....play OU or Texas primetime on ESPN or play Wake or Duke at noon on Raycom. These kids want exposure and want to display their talent on national tv.

It Would Help

May 13, 2012, 5:47 PM

If anything a move to the Big 12 would help football recruiting in SC, NC, GA, and FL. The SEC programs in SC, GA, and FL would no longer be able to play the "SEC is better than the ACC" card against Clemson.

In NC Clemson could actually play the "Big 12 is better than the ACC" card against the Tarheels and Wolfpack to pick up many of the state's top recruits. Without Clemson and FSU the ACC would be nowhere near as good for football as the new Big 12.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,584
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic