Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The keep JL crowd is the worst representation of Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

The keep JL crowd is the worst representation of Clemson

Apr 28, 2014, 9:06 AM

fans. They have no respect for what Bill built and do not understand or care to see the erosion of a once proud program. This is not one game, one series, or even one year situation.

This is baseball. It is not football or basketball, but you still have to build a program and work hard no matter the sport. Being a lazy arrogant d*** wad is not how you go about building our program back up .........you know where it was when Bill was running the show

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The keep JL crowd is the worst representation of Clemson

Apr 28, 2014, 9:18 AM

It does seem as though our BB program has been in a regress mode for a long time. I am grateful for Jacks contributions in the past, but I believe it is time to move on. We are losing our reputation as a good baseball program. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2014, 9:19 AM

dude, were you even alive when wilhelm coached. he recruited my brother years ago. he played golf in york for years with a friend that coached with him years ago. nice little foursome of wilhelm, bill pate, rusty adkins and harold stowe. i was around him for many years. if you think he was a warm and fuzzy guy that was a players coach you are way off base. he was a great coach and players respected him but they were not buddies. you do realize he hand picked coach leggett to take his place. this has been the most underachieving and frustrating team i have ever seen in my 59 years. we have pretty much the same team back from last year that was good, not great. when does their play come back to the kids not performing. no coach can bat or pitch or field for them. i will be very surprised if some changes are not made after the season but all the wilhem stuff is just laughable at best. flame away haters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The program was in better shape ten years into leggetts

Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 AM

Tenure than it was ten years before. Wilhelm knew who was the best pick to lead Clemson into an even better era and he was right. Jack may or May not be at the end of his road, but you would have to abandon reality to conclude anything other than Clemson's best era being during leggetts tenure. Post season success and consistency isn't even close. Bill Wilhelm built our program out of nothing, and he knew jack would take it even farther, which he did.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_baseball_seasons

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't alive long enoughto even pay attention to the

Apr 28, 2014, 9:35 AM

team under Willhelm, but the evidence out there is obvious that Jack has had more success at giving Clemson that "elite" status than Willhelm was able to do.

Omaha appearances under Willhelm - 6 in 36 seasons
Omaha appearances under Jack - 6 in 20 seasons

Re:You are overlooking the fact that it was much easier for

Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 AM

Leggett's teams to get into playoffs and to go to Omaha. Wilhelm operated
with far less money. Things have changed tremendously. That was over twenty years ago.

As deroberts said, Wilhelm could be a little abrasive and tactless, at times, but he was a gentleman--that is something that can not be said for this guy.

Re:You are overlooking the fact that it was much easier for

Apr 28, 2014, 10:56 AM

wilhelm was a great man for sure. it may seem that i defend jack all the time but i met him once in cooterville at a football game and he went out of his way to talk with me about clemson. my son went to his camp and did not want to come home. that being said, there better be changes and i am sure there will be. i can only hope that with the hiring of lecroy, the administration fixing the out of state tuition thing and the new facilities things will get better. if not i will climb up on the mountain with you. and i am very pissed with how this year has gone as everyone should be and i am sure the coaching staff is also and knows it.

It was much harder to even make the tournament in the past

Apr 28, 2014, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I wasn't alive long enoughto even pay attention to the ]

From '75-'81 only 32-34 teams made the tournament, From '82-'87 there were 36, from '88-'99 there were 48, and the current format allows for 64 teams. (Before 1975, there was no unified method for districts to determine their representatives for the CWS).

There were 5 Bill Wilhelm teams that finished 1st or tied for 1st in the season standings in the ACC, but because they did not win the ACC tournament, they did not get a berth in the national tournament.

Apr 28, 2014, 9:30 AM

Have you ever met Coach Leggett, or been around him for a substantial amount of time? You can use many words to describe the man, but lazy is not one of them. He is one of the hardest working and most competitive people I have ever known. I promise you that this season is eating him up inside, far more than it is bothering you. You can question his ability all you want, but don't attack his work ethic. You lose all credibility when you do.

Leggett should have been gone after 2008***

Apr 28, 2014, 9:36 AM

nm

Apr 28, 2014, 10:21 AM

At this point I pretty much only want him to stay to #### off you blow hard, self important, ###### bags. And quit invoking Wilhelm's name like you know how he would feel about this situation. He certainly wouldn't be such a cry baby about it. Glad you got what you wanted - a really bad year of baseball. Hurray for you. Notice you've stayed under your rock until it got bad enough for you to gloat. So how big will your temper tantrum be if O'Sullivan comes here and has a f*cking losing season like he just did LAST YEAR. An actual losing season!!!!! Something Jack has NEVER had at Clemson. You people are complete idiots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson needs to focus on results and get away from coaches

Apr 28, 2014, 11:03 AM

staying for years with mediocre results. This includes Wilhelm too. These guys stay forever and build what looks like decent records until you dig deeper into the results. Let any coach stay around for 20+ years and he should be able to run up a decent win total but where is the hardware?

College athletics is now big business and schools cannot allow for coaches to hang on while being mired in mediocrity. Pay big salaries but expect big results. Middle of the pack doesn't cut it anymore. This isn't the same environment of the 50's and 60's where coaches were many times just a warm body to fill the spot. It's all business and results today. Leggett's results exemplify a non-productive employee.

Re: Clemson needs to focus on results and get away from coaches

Apr 28, 2014, 2:59 PM

Jack makes a shade over 400k. This is one year old, but we're paying him a competitive amount. We'd have to eat 800k and spend an extra 500k to get a better coach. Not gonna happen. Chill out people.

He will get one more season.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/list_of_sec_baseball_coaching.html

Getting a fresh start would be well worth the buyout.***

Apr 28, 2014, 5:29 PM

Fail in trying to copy my post...

Apr 28, 2014, 5:16 PM

My post wasn't a keep Leggett forever, everything is fine post. My point is the manner in which you handle an aging coach who may be past his prime. Get some class.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic