Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: The Numbers Don't Lie: Stats tell part of the story of Clemson's season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,953

TNET: The Numbers Don't Lie: Stats tell part of the story of Clemson's season

Dec 10, 2018, 7:01 AM

The Numbers Don't Lie: Stats tell part of the story of Clemson's season

Clemson will start practice for the Cotton Bowl later this week and we move on to the College Football Playoff portion of the season. With the regular season and ACC Championship in the proverbial rearview mirror, there are several stats and notes I find interesting, and many of them tell the story of the season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's much better (or worse according to one's perspective)..

Dec 10, 2018, 7:19 AM

than those stats show. It's true, stats don't lie but statisticians do. They didn't lie but they ignored one most important thing.

That one most important factor which separates this Clemson team from almost all others is that we develop talent in underclassmen while producing those stats. We play true freshmen in the first quarter against any and all opponents. Those freshmen and others who need playing time continue to play throughout the games.

Most other top programs don't have this luxury. They leave their starting crew in after the game is under control to run up the score and impress fans, media and thereby playoff committee. This is the primary reason Bama and Clemson continue on top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like Tim Bourret taught big Dave well

Dec 10, 2018, 7:25 AM

Or is Tim Bo being helpful in semi retirement?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like Tim Bourret taught big Dave well

Dec 10, 2018, 7:43 AM

We have 4 backs in the national rankings. If you take Wisconsin's back that won the Doak Walker award and his back up they had around 2400 yds. Add Etienne, Dixon and Choice (Dixon and Choice finished ahead of Wisc. No 2 back and Feaster was not far behind him) they had around 2500 yds. On a per carry basis our backs were better. Add Feaster and the total is closer to 3000!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are at an all time high no doubt but some of the old records

Dec 10, 2018, 9:17 AM

are when 11 games were played in regular season and we are on #14. I might be wrong but I don’t believe bowl game stats were counted in with regular season games back then. But even when we still played more games in a season & the post season game stats were counted in with regular season stats , Bowden wasn’t having anywhere close to this kind of success so it still speaks volumes of what we are accomplishing.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Yep. The rushing record would be impressive and all,

Dec 10, 2018, 11:06 AM

but the '78 team set that record in 11 or 12 games. Regardless of whether bowl game stats were added in, and I'm not saying add an asterisk or anything, but it's worth mentioning the previous record was in 3 or 4 fewer games.

Yards per-game would clear it up.

Dec 10, 2018, 1:06 PM

Just like Etienne has less total yards, but a huge per-carry average, the Clemson team with the most yards rushing per game would rule, IMHO.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The impressive part is that we actually throw too

Dec 10, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Yep. The rushing record would be impressive and all, ]

We averaged 138.8 yards passing per game in 1978.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,953
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic