Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The hubby and I made a choice to get rid of direct TV after
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 2,899

The hubby and I made a choice to get rid of direct TV after

Jan 1, 2014, 6:08 PM

10 years in order to save money. We decided to go with Charter to bundle cable, phone, and Internet..which is a lot cheaper than Direct. I'm nervous about making the switch but with a new baby, ever cent helps. Anyone have any experience in switching from direct to charter cable? Are we going to be happy?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It works during bad weather ;)***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:14 PM

Very true! Nothing worse than to have no TV on a rainy day!***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:17 PM

Re: The hubby and I made a choice to get rid of direct TV after

Jan 1, 2014, 6:18 PM

no

Care to elaborate. I'd appreciate the advice***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:20 PM

I have had charter for a while now.

Jan 1, 2014, 6:21 PM

The bundle is great for the first year. But after that, the price will skyrocket. I got rid of my home phone after that to get the monthly cost down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

How much are you paying for internet/cable post-deal

Jan 1, 2014, 6:31 PM

for the bundle and since you dropped the phone? My deal is about to run out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Around $150 -

Jan 1, 2014, 10:13 PM

I am probably paying way too much. But, it was $60 cheaper than the post-bundle deal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I have had charter for a while now.

Jan 1, 2014, 7:15 PM [ in reply to I have had charter for a while now. ]

I saw your posting and even and at one time I was in kind on the same situation I did something like you did to save money. But I went from Direct TV to putting a digital antenna on my roof. Since I have a flat screen TV I now get about 30 channels (all in HD) free. But where you live depends on just how many channels you get. I live 30 miles north of Atlanta. Plus I am 59 years old so I grew up before cable or satellite and I was raised on only 3 channels. Plus if their is nothing on TV I subscribe to Netflix so I can stream movies. Everything I get now is enough for me but when their is a football or basketball game on ANY channel I know how to use first row sports to get the game on my laptop and use an HDMI cable to put the picture on my TV. Doing this it's like having free cable but I only think I can use this for sporting events.

As far as "bundling" is concerned, the price that you will pay for the next 12 months is an "introductory" price. I can compare that to my internet. Every 12 months I call the company that provides the internet (just before the introductory price goes up) and threaten to disconnect then and go with the "other company" that will provide me the same service. Most of the time this works but if it doesn't work I will go with the other company. I have been doing this for over 5 years now and I've only had to chance companies twice. Recently my internet (after 12 months) was going to go from $19.95 to $42.00. Now I pay $26.00 for 4 times the speed (with the same company. (The squeaky wheel gets the oil) The phone that you got they call "digital" but it is really V.O.I.P. That's a fancy way to say it uses the internet instead of a phone line. I got VOIP phone system from Walmart and I pay $10.00 a month. At one time I've had both cable and satellite TV and I know that you'll be happier with the Charter bundle.

Just remember to call customer service in a year to "negotiate" with them. If you can't get any satisfaction with who you are talking to just hang up and call the same number again. You will be talking to somebody else.

As long as you have patients and remember to call customer service before your promotional rate goes off, then you'll be alright.

Thanks for the advice! I live out in the country and I'm 30

Jan 1, 2014, 8:09 PM

Miles to a large city. Would love to try something like that

Save even more. Shut it off all together !

Jan 1, 2014, 6:24 PM

You can get plenty of good channels off the antenna these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for your input. I like that there's no contract like

Jan 1, 2014, 6:29 PM

Direct. This way I can always go back if need be. We've been thinking of canceling phone service too. We might go ahead and do that as well. Thanks again!

I remember those days. We shut it off for two years.***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for your input. I like that there's no contract like

Jan 1, 2014, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Thanks for your input. I like that there's no contract like ]

at&t has a good bundle package and uverse is great if you can get it in your area, it is fiber optic driven.

Ill research that as well! Thanks!***

Jan 1, 2014, 10:11 PM

Jan 1, 2014, 6:25 PM

we had horrible experience with change orders on my mother in laws service changes. the orders were always screwed up. the service tech were nice and would do what we needed but the people who make up the work orders are idiots who screw everything upthey touch unfortunately. we went through several of these episodes and every time it was the same fouled up work order

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cable/Dish are a complete rip-off

Jan 1, 2014, 6:26 PM

Get a good antenna and a Roku 3. Sign up to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. You can watch everything on your TV, phone, and you can cancel each of them individually at any time.

I pay $45/month for internet + $8/month for Hulu. That's it. Local stations on antenna. Pocket the $60-$90 for other, more interesting things.

Wow...that's an interesting thought.***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 PM

I have Charter. I have phone, internet and cable bundled. I

Jan 1, 2014, 6:28 PM

Have no complaints.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cable is quickly becoming an antique with WiFi getting

Jan 1, 2014, 6:28 PM

stronger and stronger - why use cables when you can get it from the air?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What antenna do you use?***

Jan 1, 2014, 7:19 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I've had DirectTV for 10 years

Jan 1, 2014, 6:35 PM

and may have lost reception because of bad weather 4 times. That argument is a joke. 1080HD VS 720HD with charter. In would never switch but I understand why you did

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've had DirectTV for 10 years

Jan 1, 2014, 6:51 PM

I dropped ATT Uverse after they jacked price by 50%

Antenna works great for local chanels and it was a 1 time $50 purchase. Netflix is $8 month. ( I have smart TV)

Only downfall is No ESPN. I go to a bar when I really have to see a ESPN game.

Re: I've had DirectTV for 10 years

Jan 1, 2014, 7:39 PM

You should check out http://firstrowus1.eu/ to get your ESPN.

Oh wow didn't realize that.***

Jan 1, 2014, 6:57 PM [ in reply to I've had DirectTV for 10 years ]

I went the other way and bundled DirecTV, ATT home phone,

Jan 1, 2014, 7:42 PM

and ATT DSL. Really my only choice where I live. I am still fine with DirecTV, but hate ATT.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate a Charter! Run for your life. After your initial

Jan 1, 2014, 7:57 PM

quote is up, the price will sky-rocket. They have the worst customer service ever.

Had a friend that didn't listen, and now he is cursing Charter.
Use U-verse. Much better service.

Jan 1, 2014, 8:13 PM

I echo the advice to ditch it all and go with the roku/netflix/antenna option. I also highly recommend a tivo so you can record all your network tv content. Only real problem becomes sports. It helps to have a friend / relative that will share WatchESPN login information with you. I don't have one, but you can also access WatchEspn with an Xbox if you have one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2014, 8:14 PM

I'm changing from Charter to Direct TV tomorrow. Been with Charter since the 80's, but this change requiring a cable box for EVERY television, combined with our introductory offer expiring and our combined service (TV/internet/phone) increasing to more than $170 were the final straws. Direct TV has a single main unit ( called the "Genie") and a client about the size of a Roku for up to 8 other televisions. Each TV will be able to record and playback DVR'd shows and change channels independently. I was TOLD that I'll be able to keep the internet with Charter and still have Direct TV for television. Can anyone tell me whether that is true?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes that's what we have now. Charter Internet and Direct TV.

Jan 1, 2014, 9:12 PM

Our problem is we've been with direct for so long that we never qualify for all of these great deals they advertise. The only reason we stayed is for Sunday ticket. Our Internet and phone is around $90 and direct is $150 (this included Sunday ticket). We also have a box from direct that CONSTANTLY freezes and ruins our recorded shows. We've called them a few times about this issue and they will not replace it unless we sign a new contract.

HDTV antenna + Roku + espn3

Jan 1, 2014, 9:24 PM

Should solve your delimma.

An hdtv antenna from Mohu gets you free abc/cbs/fox/cw and a few other high quality hd signals. Add a roku with netfli and hulu ad you have your major shows to watch and movies plus amazon prome ad you should cover all your bases. Then Espn3 for spotts and the savings is phenomenal.

Basically $19 or so a month vs about $185 for my avg directv bill with 3 hd dvr's and nfl ticket.

Should save about $1800/year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. I'm seriously looking into this before I commit to

Jan 1, 2014, 9:33 PM

Charter. My mom lives two houses away and she's got direct if I ever really needed to watch a game etc. thanks for the input

My bad

Jan 1, 2014, 9:31 PM

I turned auto correct off. My goodness.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 2,899
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic