Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Allen ready to take a step forward in 2010
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Aug 25, 2010, 10:18 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney says that sophomore tight end Dwayne Allen has come a long way in his time at Clemson, and Allen proves that when he says the only real goal he has for this season is 14-0. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does anyone else think it would be cool if we started a

Aug 25, 2010, 11:59 PM

tradition of the player scoring saluting the first (hopefully of many) TD during the Military Appreciation day games?

Although, now I'm thinking that I read unsportsmanlike penalties don't tack on 15 yards to the kickoff but take away the TD. Did I make that up? If it's true, strike the idea.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone else think it would be cool if we started a

Aug 26, 2010, 12:27 AM

Only if it starts outside of the endzone. So if you high step from the 5 then they mark off the yards from the 5. But I don't think that rule starts until 2011.

null

Re: Allen ready to take a step forward in 2010

Aug 26, 2010, 12:48 AM

As a young head coach Dabo may not know all that he should know about being a head coach. But he sure as heck knows how to get these kids motovated. You can hear when a kid is interviewed, their focus is about getting it right for the team first. Dabo is good for Clemson, good for the FB program, and just awesome with the kids. What Dabo lacks in head coaching experience, he makes it up with people and motovation skills with our kids. Tommy Bowden's best skill was reconizing talent. When he was on his way out the door, he left the program in good shape with all the up dates he got done within Death Valley. He left the cubbard in good shape with good young talent. And on his way out the door, he left us/Clemson with his choice of who would be the best to lead Clemson foward. And his choice was Dabo Swinney. Tommy knew FB and he knew talent. He just did'nt know how to use it once he had it. But any way, i just want what is best for Clemson and its athletic programs. And i feel it within my person, that Dabo Swinney will get Clemson back on the national sine as a college power Football team....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Allen ready to take a step forward in 2010

Aug 26, 2010, 6:15 AM

We give TB way to much credit for the talent at Clemson...if I remember correctly and I am get old and a loss of memory sometimes, I think an assistant coach was the one who got CJ Spiller to Clemson. I can't remember his name, but I am sure someone on here does. Most of the athletes at Clemson aren't recruited by the head coach, but by the assistants. BS has been instrumental in getting kids to come to Clemson for years. He is a really nice guy too! All of our coaches really care about the kids and any momma would like for the college transition to go well for their baby. Who would you rather your kid hang around Spurrier or Dabo and to grow up to be like? I rest my case!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The head coach may not be the ONE that contacts them

Aug 26, 2010, 12:52 PM

initially or does the brunt of the recruiting, but the head coach does impact a player's decision on where they go to school.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

I agree on Bowden & Dabo

Aug 26, 2010, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Allen ready to take a step forward in 2010 ]

He could "close the deal", which is a head coach's job with recruits. He -- not unlike OP -- built the program and left it in good shape. He set us up to win. Spiller said his talk with Bowden in his office was critical to his decision.

He did one other thing we may forget: he instilled a culture of integrity in the program and hired guys like Dabo. Yes, he missed it on the fatal OC hire, but most people thought it was a great hire...at the time.

I also agree that Dabo has the right combination to take us to the next level. He kept his staff intact, which is no small accomplishment, and HUGE for success.

Can't wait to see if we're for real, or if this is another August where my hopes are high, only to be disappointed. Either way, I'm all in.

Re: I agree on Bowden & Dabo

Aug 26, 2010, 9:04 AM

I never had this thought until this year but I'm starting to worry that we are hitting on a good thing here and some team with a lot more money is going to start picking off our coaches. I know Steele stayed but that won't last forever. Here's to a great season.

Aug 26, 2010, 12:41 PM

The new TV deal might just bring in enough money to be able to keep our coaches

Aug 26, 2010, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree on Bowden & Dabo ]

So, are you a tiger fan who is nude, or a fan of nude tigers?

BTW, if the latter, aren't all tigers technically nude?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

But Dabo proved Bowden shoud have been fired YEARS sooner

Aug 26, 2010, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Allen ready to take a step forward in 2010 ]

Even though it's true that Bowden left the program better than he found it, that's not saying much after Hatfield/West. If a newbie head coach like Dabo can come in and win the Atlantic in his first year, or a great, proven coach like Saban can come in and win the SEC in year 2, and the national championship in year 3, then I think it's fair to say Clemson wasted a decade with Tommy Bowen. Top tier coaches can recruit AND coach. Bowden couldn't coach. That's kind of an important quality in coach. If Clemson had hired a top tier coach instead of Bowden (or even fired Bowden several years earlier), Clemson would probably have more ACC titles, BCS bowl wins, national prominence, and an easier time recruiting.

Clemson should have never hired Bowden. But I can understand that decision. (Rodriguez made Bowden look great at Tulane and at Clemson initially.) What I can't understand is why Clemson kept Bowden many years after he proved that he would always waste talent and produce soft, perennially upper-mediocre teams. And I'm absolutely disgusted that TDP gave Bowden a contract extension and a $5M buyout a few months before firing Bowden-- especially in light of the fact that TDP agreed to the extension and buyout after the Arkansas newspapers reported that the Arkansas Board of Directors had rejected Bowden because he was mediocre.

Bowden used his Arkansas AD buddy to bluff TDP. That's great poker. But it's a pretty dishonest thing to do and it hurt Clemson University. Bowden didn't have to take the full $5M dollars, either. A better, less selfish man wouldn't have. That $5M wasted on Bowden could have been spent to help Clemson University instead of helping Bowden become even richer.

So forgive me if I don't wax nostalgic about Tommy Bowden.

Re: But Dabo proved Bowden shoud have been fired YEARS sooner

Aug 26, 2010, 1:55 PM

Well who are you to say that if we had gotten rid of Bowden, we would've gotten anyone as good and exciting as Dabo? I always pulled for Bowden and wished the best for him b/c I love Clemson but I never had the kind of confidence I have in Dabo. And if we hadn't kept Bowden as long as we did, Dabo may have never become a head coach. Who knows, he might not get us an ACC championship or a National Championship but I LOVE EVERYTHING he has done for this program and WOULDN'T TRADE him for ANYONE!

Bottom line. Bowden was mediocre and is still unemployed.

Aug 27, 2010, 3:25 AM

When I was in 6th grade, I fell in love with a girl and I couldn't believe the amazing coincidence that the one girl in the whole world that I could love just happened to go to my school. Silly, eh? But you seem to have fallen in love with Dabo and you seem to be thanking your lucky stars that the one coach in the whole world that you could love just happened to be on Bowden's staff.

Could Clemson have fired Bowden earlier and hired a coach that would have been worse than Bowden? Sure. Could Clemson have fired Bowden earlier and hired a coach that would have been as good or better than Dabo? Sure.

The bottom line is that Bowden was unfit to be head coach of a Clemson, and I can prove it. After Tommy Bowden “resigned” and bent Clemson over for $5M, he made it known that he is interested in coaching FBS again. But after 44 FBS head-coaching changes over the last 2 seasons (from what I can tell) no FBS school has offered Bowden a head coaching job, or even had him among their final candidates—and we’re talking about 44 vacancies ranging from Memphis to ECU to UVA, USF, UK, Auburn, Texas Tech, USC, et al. So based on that lack of interest in Bowden (and Dabo winning the Atlantic in his first full season, while producing good off-field results) I think the evidence is overwhelming that Tommy Bowden should have been fired and that he didn’t warrant a big buy-out. Apparently there are at least 44 FBS athletic directors out there who agree with me.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic