Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ACC network may stall over rights issues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Football Update: ACC network may stall over rights issues

May 20, 2013, 1:33 PM

ACC network may stall over rights issues

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### me, man

May 20, 2013, 1:35 PM

I feel like our conference is ran by children. It's like they're blindly stumbling through life with our any knowledge of how things are or should be done.

Re: #### me, man

May 20, 2013, 1:43 PM

This is a article giving quotes from a source outside of the ACC/ESPN. I am sure this issue has been discussed. ESPN sold the rights to Raycom and Raycom sold the rights to Fox not the ACC. That means it is on ESPN not the ACC to handle this issue. I am sure the contracts provide ESPN with a way out for minimal penalty. If this was the ACC distributing out rights to multiple entities I would be worried but all of these rights are still owned by ESPN.

null

Re: #### me, man

May 20, 2013, 1:48 PM

Also ESPN did this same thing with SEC rights. Didn't seem to have problem getting them back.

null

Agreed

May 20, 2013, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: #### me, man ]

It may be accurate, I don't know.

But I do know that in reading the article there are a whole bunch of speculative statements with very little to no actual inside information about the current status of negotiations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how screwed up is it to give your entire rights to one

May 20, 2013, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: #### me, man ]

network and then allow them to make additional $'s off of you...obviously the ACC worked a side deal with ESPN that said you need to do a deal with our NC buddies in Charlotte at Raycom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm confused

May 20, 2013, 1:38 PM

ESPN licensed the rights to Raycom and Raycom licenced the rights to Fox. So why does the ACC need to get them back? Sounds like a contractual issue for ESPN correct?

"ESPN and Charlotte-based Raycom Sports cut a deal that grants Raycom the ACC’s digital and corporate sponsorship rights, plus a heavy dose of live football and basketball games. Through a sublicensing agreement, Raycom owns the rights to 31 live football games and 60 live men’s basketball games.

Even if the conference is able to buy back those rights from Raycom, a second roadblock remains. Raycom sublicensed 17 of those football games and 25 of those basketball games to Fox, which carries the games on its regional sports networks throughout the ACC footprint. Live local sports programming is important to Fox’s RSNs, and they are not likely to give up those games cheaply."

The gap is already significant. Can you imagine what it...

May 20, 2013, 1:44 PM

will be by 2027?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What gap? ******

May 20, 2013, 1:52 PM

null

$$ gap between SEC and ACC***

May 20, 2013, 2:19 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, how much is that? ******

May 20, 2013, 2:26 PM

null

"Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnone"? Is it "none"? ******

May 20, 2013, 2:33 PM

null

Enough to retire on...

May 20, 2013, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Yes, how much is that? ****** ]

at the ripe age of 1.

Link? Forbes begs to differ.

May 20, 2013, 2:35 PM

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45lmel/the-most-valuable-conferences-in-college-sports/

null

isn't that taking into account the existing SEC tv deal

May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM

which will expire next year? I love Clemson but there's no way in hell that the ACC gets more tv revenue than the SEC with the current product....no way...never ever never. TV would be a fool to pay it. ESPN and CBS got a great deal with the current $'s being spent on the SEC tv deal and the SEC is about to make some serious cash with a new deal. There's no denying their product is simply better than the ACC's football product.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, Wookie is not taking into account the new tv deal with

May 20, 2013, 2:46 PM

ESPN and the new SEC network, both of which will make them much richer than the other oonferences...

Here is the same link to Forbes, but with actual story attached:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/01/16/the-most-valuable-conferences-in-college-sports/

"The gap is already significant." <-- This is the comment

May 20, 2013, 2:48 PM [ in reply to isn't that taking into account the existing SEC tv deal ]

that I am responding to.

Everything else is speculation. Everyone assumes that the ACC can't make money with its own network. We shall see. We have a higher-population footprint. We have infinitely better basketball than the SEC (or anyone), comparable baseball, better lacross, better soccer, and better women's basketball. We are Charlote (where the SEC network is going to be based and where ESPNU is based). We have Notre Dame. Networks aren't made and broken by football.

I don't need the ACC to make as much or more than the SEC. We just need to be competitive. There are diminishing returns to this windfall of cash. Only so much gold trim you can put on the lockers. We'll see how it all shakes out but I'm a little tired of people assuming that SEC teams are currently raking in millions and millions more than us because it is flatly false.

null

population footprint is one factor in viewership...one

May 20, 2013, 2:51 PM

amongst many...there are millions and millions of people here in Atlanta...GT is here...the fact is GT gets passing attn at best.

Current payout is fact. Future contracts are speculation.

May 20, 2013, 3:18 PM

That is my main point. Reference to population is just a small factor to bolster speculation.

null

here's the deal...the ACC sold Tier 3 rights to FoxSports

May 20, 2013, 2:41 PM [ in reply to I'm confused ]

and also Raycom...they can show the less desirable games...the ACC needs those rights back in order to have programming for the network. Without the programming you're going to have to show soccer or a swim team 24 hours a day.

Re: here's the deal...the ACC sold Tier 3 rights to FoxSports

May 20, 2013, 2:45 PM

NO the SEC sold the rights and will have to negotiate to get the back not the ACC. Or refuse to give them the rights and pay them back for the money the spent.

null

you essentially did because you signed an exclusive

May 20, 2013, 2:47 PM

agreement with ESPN obviously knowing they were going to do a side deal with Raycom and Foxsports...it's not like this deal came down and the ACC office said....wow.....they did a deal with Raycom and FSS...I could have never guessed....

Re: you essentially did because you signed an exclusive

May 20, 2013, 2:50 PM

But essentially is not a legal term. This all comes down to contracts and outs. The speculation that ESPN could not get out of a deal with what amounts to a subcontractor is laughable.

null

never said that but in order to make more money with a

May 20, 2013, 2:52 PM

network there will be a substraction of revenue from FSS and Raycom. They are driving revenue for the conf right now just like the Sunshine network is for U of Florida.

Re: never said that but in order to make more money with a

May 20, 2013, 2:57 PM

The current ESPN contract is not going down. ESPN still owns the rights regardless of how they air it (Raycom/ACC Network). The difference is the ACC Network allows them to air much much more content than Raycom. That means more profit for ESPN and more profit for the conference. The 17.1 million is currently being renegotiated for the addition of ND. Then any revenue from the ACC network will be in addition to that value.

null

ESPN will take a hit though in that they are now going to be

May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM

required to along with the ACC create a network. Those are cost they currently just pass along to Raycom/FSS and allow them to televise games. They are gaining viewership in another arena, taking on additional cost, and taking on the risk with the network. They are trading in known revenue with Raycom/FSS for the unknown with a network if it moves forward.

Re: ESPN will take a hit though in that they are now going to be

May 20, 2013, 3:14 PM

The ACC network will be part of the cable package just like Raycom/FSS plus it will be carried in the north east. Add to that the addition of national pull of ND Olympic sports and the reward for ESPN far outweighs the risk.

null

I'm not convinced these conference channels are long term

May 20, 2013, 5:08 PM [ in reply to here's the deal...the ACC sold Tier 3 rights to FoxSports ]

or at least long term cash cows.

Cable providers are balking at the Big 10 channel costs and subscribers are already mad at the cost of sports programming driving up content costs.

And when it boils down to it, the majority of the time you are going to be showing events like swimming or glorified history channel shows.

Swofford is a d@yum genius!!!

May 20, 2013, 5:22 PM

Lied through his teeth to get the GOR done! Wait till the Presidents and Trustees get a load of this!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we were compleely screwed and lied to by ESPN and

May 20, 2013, 1:41 PM

Swofford in order to get a GOR signed? Seems like that could invalidate the GOR.

No lies. We just wern't told the whole truth. Wake and Duke

May 20, 2013, 1:47 PM

really needed us and FSU to sign that GOR in order to meet their budgets.

So who was that little media man that Swofford was showing

May 20, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to So we were compleely screwed and lied to by ESPN and ]

off down at FSU and up at UVA? He must have had a slick delivery.

Speculation. Nothing new.***

May 20, 2013, 2:18 PM

Re: Football Update: ACC network may stall over rights issues

May 20, 2013, 2:20 PM

swoffie screws us/ACC aGAIN!!!! that %&@%#$^# needs to go now!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, at least swoff, jr's future is secure at raycom!!!***

May 20, 2013, 3:03 PM

Bozo (in his baby blue) says "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!"

May 20, 2013, 3:14 PM
bozo_clown6.jpg(7.6 K)
images.jpg(8.9 K)

This just makes me sick. Ugh.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swofford screwed us when he signed the deal with his son err

May 20, 2013, 5:34 PM

Raycom...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: ACC network may stall over rights issues

May 20, 2013, 7:48 PM

This is much ado about nothing. Every conference starting a network had to buy back their media regional rights. The same obstacles were there for the Pac 12 and SEC.

Look it up...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic