Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another hard football post (like hard news)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,179

Another hard football post (like hard news)

Jun 18, 2020, 11:14 PM

A trend I have noticed as programs decline. The position unit that almost always stands out as being the major or one of the major issues on the team is OL. QB as well but I think we get into an opposite of chicken and egg thing here where clearly QB is impacted by poor OL play, so QBs on these struggling teams are harder to judge.

WHY is the OL almost always the unit that ends up in shambles when a program declines?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another hard football post (like hard news)

Jun 19, 2020, 1:58 AM

BC they don't have a QB that can make plays on their own regardless of the OL they have. DW4 hasn't had the the Best OL play in his college nor his NFL playing days, but he still manages to score points that helps his teams to win game in spite of his O Lines ability!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another hard football post (like hard news)

Jun 19, 2020, 2:35 AM

Ironically, the OL is the most necessary and most unheralded component of a successful fb program, collegiate, or professional. Often a program declines because the OL is in shambles, and then even a great QB suffers. But the greatest QB's will improvise, adapt and overcome and create their own opportunities, in spite of the OL, or lack-there-of. I don't know what you mean to imply by citing "an opposite of chicken or egg thing here...", it's nonsensical contextually, but I eat eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner, and I don't care which came first, they're both delicious!

Go Tigers!!!

I always thought breakfast came first

Jun 19, 2020, 7:28 AM

unless, of course, you totally skip it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The game is won and lost in the trenches. OL is the

Jun 19, 2020, 3:37 AM

foundation of any offense. We tend to pay attention to the skill positions but without a good OL you're never going to let those skill players shine to their potential. OL is the most underappreciated unit IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The game is won and lost in the trenches. OL is the

Jun 19, 2020, 7:54 AM

I go with the defense*** ____ if you stop the other team from scoring,you always have a chance to win __ we won our National Championship with defense -- lost the 2015 Championship,defense -- won the 2016 championship, with defense ___ I remember going to the 2009 ACC Championship in Tampa against Georgia Tech and we finally got our only lead,with about 6 min. left in the game ( told my wife we scored to soon,because we had not stopped them from scoring all night**

Today's Clemson Tigers have that ""IT"" on both sides of the ball ____ Sure is ""NICE"" GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!

Re: The game is won and lost in the trenches. OL is the

Jun 19, 2020, 9:48 AM

Great line play is vital on either side of the ball. Nothing in football is more important than third down play. imo

Great skill players can take some of the heat off the offensive linemen with exceptional play. We have seen this at Clemson a lot in recent years. We didn’t see in in the LSU game and we paid the price. If you win the battle up front.... you are always in the game. We are recruiting now to develop a winning group of linemen. Great move by the coaches.

Before the COVID-19 hiatus, Packer and Durham had several

Jun 19, 2020, 9:42 AM

discussions observing that the availability of talented Offensive Linemen (as a whole in College Football) has declined. They never really keyed in on a single reason for their observation but would often comment that the OL talent seemed to take a dip about the same time that High Schools transitioned to the no-huddle fast paced game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,179
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic