Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The fact the HC can be interviewed during
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

The fact the HC can be interviewed during

Dec 13, 2015, 3:44 PM

the game tells me all I need to know about soccer.

Also, why is it that anyone who loves soccer always says how great it is, but can never explain why? If someone showed a little interest in football, I'd help them understand the game, but I really don't think soccer fans know why they like it. Just my random thoughts as I sit here bored out of my mind.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what I don't understand is why it's the only sport

Dec 13, 2015, 3:49 PM

That is constantly under siege

Re: what I don't understand is why it's the only sport

Dec 13, 2015, 4:00 PM

This is exactly why someone needs to add a Soccer Board to the Tiger Boards drop down menu above. It takes 2 minutes. Can someone who knows the admin(s) please tell them to do so!?

Re: The fact the HC can be interviewed during

Dec 13, 2015, 3:58 PM

Baseball says hi.

And NBA***

Dec 13, 2015, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Baseball is the most attacked

Dec 13, 2015, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The fact the HC can be interviewed during ]

Media constantly pushes this theory that the NFL is the most powerful entity on the face of the earth and that "baseball is dying." Then you look at revenue $ and they both made about 9.5 billion. Meanwhile the NFL product is quickly becoming unwatchable...only successfully b/c of gambling and fantasy football

Re: Baseball is the most attacked

Dec 13, 2015, 4:13 PM

Unwatchable? They sell out many more games than MLB does.

Not to mention the MLB gets 10x the amount of games to make up that revenue stream than the NFL does.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Dec 13, 2015, 4:23 PM

The quality of the NFL product this year is awful. way too many penalties; mediocre teams.

And I could argue that the NFL only has league wide sell outs (which they don't) because the seasons is so short. The fact baseball gets the attendance and local tv ratings over 162 games is a credit to the strength of the game.

Re: Yes

Dec 13, 2015, 5:46 PM

First off, that is your opinion on the quality of the product on the field so that's kind of a moot point.

Secondly, what does the fact that the season being shorter have to do with the fact that they still sellout. If the season was 20 games long they would still sellout games 17-20 and their revenue would be even greater.

Just so we are clear I'm a huge baseball fan as well, just think each game has it's pros and cons.

Re: Yes

Dec 13, 2015, 6:20 PM

I don't think you know what moot means.

And shorter season increases demand. If baseball season was only 16 games, attendance and tv ratings per game would obviously be through the roof, as is the case with the NFL.

Dec 13, 2015, 4:03 PM

I really try to like soccer and basketball but everytime I try I just get so frustrated. Soccer pisses me off because of the shielding with balls as they go out of bounds and also how faking injuries it's part of the game. The refs in basketball frustrate me

Dec 13, 2015, 4:07 PM

HERE IS THE DEAL. NO ONE MAKES ANY OF YOU GOOBERS WATCH THIS OR ANY GAME. PLEASE DO EVERYONE A FAVOR A AND SWITCH IT BACK TO FOOTBALL. I AM SURE ALL OF YOU ARE EXPERTS AT THAT SPORT. SOME OF YOU IDIOTS ARE BEYOND SICKENING.

like baseball. like pro basketball. there are no time-outs

Dec 13, 2015, 4:12 PM

in soccer. other than yelling stuff to the players, the coach can't do much other than initiate substitutions.

Dec 13, 2015, 7:24 PM

Soccer coaches don't coach during games the way you are used to with football. The players are the ones playing the game, not the coach. The coaches prepare them for games.

Usually, when I'm having the discussion of football vs soccer with someone, this is one of the things I bring up. Soccer players have to make the decisions for themselves. They don't have a team of coaches on the sidelines telling them what to do for every play.

Dec 13, 2015, 8:15 PM

Why you should like soccer:

1) Gameplay never stops. No timeouts, no hand-holding. No commercial breaks.

2) Formations/positioning and the strategies behind them are incredibly complex. It's like what they say about baseball: everything looks simple to the layman but there is an amazing amount of depth going on just beneath the surface.

3) It's a game of strategy (formations) but tactics and skill decide the outcome (interplay of passing, overlapping runs, and ball-skills). It's also a game of triangles. Once you can appreciate spacing and positioning you'll see the beauty in how the ball is expertly moved down the pitch (field) using triangles. Similar to basketball in the passing sense but on a much grander scale.

4) Games are full of drama. Many people tend to think that the game is boring when there isn't any scoring but games that are 0-0 are (a lot of the time) extremely entertaining. Why? Because at any moment the game could be won or lost. The anticipation builds and builds and when goals are scored all of that gets released and everyone goes crazy. Also, if you do pick up watching the MLS it can be frenetic and fast-paced with scorelines like 6-4 etc.

5) Games only last 2 hours. Yeah sometimes they go over 2 hours in tournaments when there is overtime and penalty kicks but by and large all games are over in 2 hours with the only stoppage of play during half time.

6) The best league (English Premier League) game times are on 8AM-Noon on Saturday and Sunday on the east coast. Can catch some awesome games before (american) football starts in the afternoon during the fall...

7) ...And then continue watching it through the winter and into the late spring. The season only stops over the summer months.

8) The matches are easy to keep up with like (american) football with 1 game a week on the weekend. It can get more complicated if you start following all of their tournaments etc, but the league-play schedule is extremely straightforward.

9) Pro Soccer leagues are more capitalistic than any american sports. This is good and bad. The good is that the leagues are structured sort of like baseball with major and minor leagues (except there are 3-4 levels). The top league (in the EPL) has 20 teams and won't ever have more. The bottom 3 teams each year get demoted to the next highest league. The top 3 in that league then get promoted to the EPL. The bad is that only about 6-7 teams have a realistic shot at finishing in 1st every year though that's been turned on its head this year with a newly promoted team currently sitting at the top of the league table.

10) Watching different levels of the sport will help you develop an appreciation for just how skilled the professional players are. Watching our very good Clemson team this year is great but the level of play isn't even close to the professional leagues (including the MLS here which has gotten much much better than even a few years ago). I don't think you can really appreciate any sport until you acknowledge that what the players are doing takes skill; and in soccer's case the skill is very much *not* just running around a lot. You try controlling anything with your feet.

11) The announcing in the EPL especially is just light-years better than anything you hear in american football. Some baseball announcers come close. No endless replays with Ed Cunningham talking about his referee camp stories in reference to a perceived blown call.

12) Sport of the future. New report from some pansy doctor just came out saying american football shouldn't be played by kids under 18. I love american football but it's just not going to be around unless it drastically changes/evolves. Might as well jump on the world's sport's bandwagon early and develop an appreciation for it.

Dec 13, 2015, 8:16 PM

Screw communist kick ball.

Dec 14, 2015, 10:51 AM

Communists play hockey, not soccer.

It's almost as if people can have different interests than

Dec 13, 2015, 8:19 PM

you. Weird.

It's the most popular sport in the world by far, it's probably just you if you can't figure out a reason to like it.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic