Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Isn't a scholarship, etc
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,250

Isn't a scholarship, etc

Oct 3, 2019, 8:32 AM

Pay for play? And isn't the school you choose, reflective of the publicity you seek and post-grad opportunities? Since when is getting something (schollie, etc) the same as nothing? WTH is wrong with the world?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'd think ... especially since student loan debt

Oct 3, 2019, 8:55 AM

is such a hot button topic right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't a scholarship, etc

Oct 3, 2019, 10:13 AM

If you don't see it then it must not be real.

That is the approach that many are taking with the scholarship money.

Athletes never get to feel like they have cash, so they are pretending that the tuition, housing, etc are all a worthless exchange for their time and effort.

I had a conversation with a young person the other day and told them that I don't get paid for my job.

I told them that all of the people who I've promised my money to (mortgage, electricity, food, children, etc) actually get paid for me to work.

I said it in a joking manner but also to let the young person know that getting paid for something doesn't mean you get disposable money to do with it what you want.

I choose to trade my income for the comforts and necessities in my life. Apparently college athletes and politicians have decided that money attributed to the necessities of life does not actually count as real money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently not.

Oct 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/16/post-truth-named-2016-word-of-the-year-by-oxford-dictionaries/

Post-truth...is

Oct 3, 2019, 10:32 AM

A word? Uh uh...it's two words, joined at the hyphen.

Word of not. Two words or not. Hyphenated or not.

Oct 3, 2019, 11:12 AM

It's certainly the way more and more people "roll" these days.

Re: Isn't a scholarship, etc

Oct 3, 2019, 10:36 AM

Greed!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The estimated cost for 1 year of a Power 5 football player

Oct 3, 2019, 10:42 AM

Has to be in the range of $75,000. The player and his family pay nothing for all this. If you add up tuition, meals, room, supplies, clothing, travel, etc...... it has to be a huge number per athlete. If these kids didn't play football, they would out a lot of money to attend college like ordinary kids do. I think a better idea to "compensate" athletes is to provide incentives like the coaches get. Pay them $500/each for division championship, $1,000/each for winning the conference, $2,000/each for a bowl win, and $5,000/each for NC.

^^And that adds up to

Oct 3, 2019, 11:29 AM

A lot of federal and state taxes. At day's end, all this legislation being proposed at the various state and federal levels isn't as altruistic as appearances would suggest. The truth is almost always a level or two beneath the surface.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,250
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic