Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 126
| visibility 51

TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal

May 15, 2019, 11:45 AM

Clemson LB to enter transfer portal

Clemson graduate linebacker Shaq Smith has entered the NCAA transfer portal, a source confirmed on Wednesday. He could transfer and play immediately for his fin Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who took the starting spot?

May 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

Mike Jones? This doesn't really make any sense unless its for personal issues.

Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?***

May 15, 2019, 12:00 PM

Re: Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?***

May 15, 2019, 12:03 PM

lol, Skalski is not the best linebacker on this team.....hahahahahahaha really. I'm not saying the kid is good but he's not the best

May 15, 2019, 12:10 PM

We are in trouble if he is.

Thought he was by far the best at middle

May 15, 2019, 12:25 PM

or Weakside. Simmons obviously best but plays on the outside.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought he was by far the best at middle

May 15, 2019, 1:22 PM

Shaliski is solid, but hasn't been anything special yet by any means. The key word is YET though.

I meant as of this spring. I didn't mean

May 15, 2019, 1:34 PM

last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?*** ]

Wow - Carlsbad .... that’s pretty sharp !! smdh -:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 15, 2019, 3:31 PM

Just being honest.

May 15, 2019, 3:58 PM

Skalski would have played a major role last season if it weren't for him getting hurt. BV has thought extremely highly of Skalski since he has been here. As far as Shaq this is surprising because of the way he represented this university. He seemed to me to be a major leader for this team. I just wondered if he didn't get the feed back he wanted at the end of spring but if that were the case you'd think he would have entered the portal earlier. As much as I don't think it would be anything with getting in trouble I just find this very confusing. Unless it has anything to do with family issues.

May 15, 2019, 4:06 PM

I think Shaliski will be good. I just mean if he is our best I would be worried. He is just solid. I am thrilled to know Simmons is a beast. He is our best.

He will lead the team in tackles this year. Mark it down.

May 15, 2019, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?*** ]

barring injury. I guess Simmons is an extra Linebacker (nickel coverage packages) but i still think of him as a Safety but if he's considered apart of the LB group then i'd have to say Simmons is the best but as far as getting consistent results i think skalski will surprise you this year. AT least those of you who haven't been paying attention.

He picked up the scheme as a true Fr and played pretty early

May 15, 2019, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?*** ]

Simmons is the best athlete, but Jamie is probably the most well rounded

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Skalski is the best LB on the team. Was Shaq a MIKE LB?*** ]

Honestly I think Bentley will come in and be special for us.

jones and venables will be good too***

May 15, 2019, 7:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal

May 15, 2019, 11:48 AM

Not every 5 star lives up to the hype. The coaches always seemed to have high expectations of him but he never put it all together.

May 15, 2019, 12:18 PM

I don't think thats the case. everything said about shaq smith coming out of spring was great. Coach Venables even said shaq had finally put it together and Dabo said he was one of the fastest players at his position. He was almost definitely going to start. It must be something else

He's obviously not getting it done. I wish him well

May 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

But the playing time and results speak for themselves....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm surprised that you would assert that at all

May 15, 2019, 1:59 PM

on Shaq considering that Venebles is the DC and position coach. I can't recall any LB coming in and immediately jumping into a starting role as a 1st year player, true frosh or redshirt... BV is such a great teacher that Jalen Williams, JD and Judah Davis, Kendall Joseph, and to a lesser degree, Ben Boulware and BJ Goodson have been groomed into significant contributors and All ACC players under his instruction. Chad Smith was a really good 4 star coming out of high school but hasn't contributed to a really good 4 star level either. And neither of those guys are busts, but I surmise that BV takes the rawest talents and mold them into the player that he needs them to be, which probably means that a player that has earned BV's trust through experience is going to be a step ahead of an inexperienced 4 or 5 star talent with only his raw ability to fall back on. I am not saying that there has never been or ever will be a 4 or 5 star talent to start as a freshman, but on BV's defense, that doesn't occur often...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not really sure what you mean by this? Shaq has had

May 15, 2019, 6:42 PM

Years to contribute and it just hasn't clicked.

I don't know what it is.. he looks like an incredible athlete but it seems like he got passed on the depth chart again. Just my deductive reasoning. If he was going to be the starter I doubt he would transfer.

I'm sure he has aspirations to make it to the NFL just like everyone else. I hope he gets his chance.

May 15, 2019, 11:48 AM

A thin position gets almost transparent! Not sure why but wish him the best and next man up! This is why you recruit! Thank you Jaime Skalski for RS last season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 3:02 PM

That is truly quite thin as far as experience is concerned!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

That is truly quite thin as far as experience is concerned!

Well that's a head scratcher

May 15, 2019, 11:49 AM

He was set to be THE GUY at mlb for us this year. Big loss for our D. Odd that he would wait until it's finally his turn to take over and then bolt.

Re: Well that's a head scratcher

May 15, 2019, 11:52 AM

He finally gets a chance to play and decides to leave? Very strange.

May 15, 2019, 11:51 AM

This truly disappoints me...Love everything about this kid.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

May 15, 2019, 11:53 AM

Wow didnt see this coming. Thought he was going to be a major player this year. Chad Smith beat him out I guess?

May 15, 2019, 11:54 AM

Ya I don't really get this one, was set to be a potential starter and a breakout season. Wish him nothing but the best though. I'd love to see our depth chart at linebacker now.

May 15, 2019, 12:28 PM

Per Anna Hickey:

Should Smith transfer from Clemson, here's what the Tigers' linebacker depth looks like heading into the 2019 season:

Redshirt Senior: Chad Smith

Redshirt Junior: Jamie Skalski, Isaiah Simmons

Redshirt Sophomore: Baylon Spector

Redshirt Freshmen: Jake Venables, Mike Jones

True Freshmen (none being January midyears): Greg Williams, Kane Patterson, Keith Maguire, Vonta Bentley, Bryton Constantin
4COMMENTS

If Smith does indeed leave the program, then look for Chad Smith to earn a starting job. Skalski and Simmons are your other linebacker starters.

May 15, 2019, 2:31 PM

I like Bentley a lot

I hope Mike Jones is ready***

May 15, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

Re: I hope Mike Jones is ready***

May 15, 2019, 3:22 PM

One thing we know about Clemson: we're going to play a lot of guys anyway. We have some experienced players at LB. That should let some of those young guys learn the ropes a little. Fingers crossed we don't get bit by the injury bug this season.

Shaq has 2 years of eligibility left***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Isiah Simmons at the SAM/Nickel
Skalski at the Mike
Smith or Jones at the Will

Depth? freshmen better be ready quick, no one redshirts here except Constantin

May 15, 2019, 12:16 PM

Kind of nice to get those true frosh in there immediately. I am very thankful Simmons returned too. We have ...

Simmons
Shaliski
Venables
Mike Jones
Spector? Is he still a lb
Chad Smith...forgot about him.

Vonta Bentley. (Stud)
Mcguire
Kane Patterson
Greg Williams

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

May 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

I thought Shaq Smith was a RS Junior, that would leave him 2 years of eligibility if he graduates before transfer?

He has already graduated.***

May 15, 2019, 12:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: He has already graduated.***

May 15, 2019, 12:21 PM

Exactly....Just did some research. I thought it was this summer but he graduated last weekend

Feaster graduates this summer.***

May 15, 2019, 12:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Feaster graduates this summer.***

May 15, 2019, 2:29 PM

And from what I was hearing on coot radio when I was out for a little while around mid day, the coots are talking about bringing out the red carpet, red rugs, and red vinyl plus treatment to try and land Feaster. According to them, Feaster is what they need to make their offense special this coming season.... :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

Chad Smith is a graduate LB. I have not seen that Shaq Smith has graduated?

Shaq Smith earned his degree and graduated.

May 15, 2019, 12:22 PM

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/football/roster/shaq-smith/

- H. L. Mencken

May 15, 2019, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

https://www.tigernet.com/update/WATCH-Several-Clemson-Football-players-get-their-degrees-32942

Bottom left in the initial freeze frame of the video:

Why!?!?! I assume this means he was being beat in practice but by who??

No better opportunity to shine than at CLEMSON

Starting for the best team in the NATION, odds on favorite for another Natty & getting serious exposure on prime time for NFL scouts to see him play weekly. Sounds like DirtPecker logic to me?!?!?!?

**Put that jersey on the shelf for DJU to wear next year after Tee goes to the NFL as a 1st Rounder!

May 15, 2019, 11:56 AM

Who let Brad Brownell into the football facility?

May 15, 2019, 3:18 PM

So who what that...

When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing?

May 15, 2019, 11:58 AM

You know, much how people do with our basketball program.

Asking for a friend.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing?

May 15, 2019, 12:04 PM

2-3 on a team 85+ is not a big deal. 2-3 on team of 10-12 is. Just thinking mathematically. Not a shot at ya.

I agree with your point.

May 15, 2019, 2:58 PM

But with nearly a thousand players in the basketball transfer portal this year, that amounts to over 3 players per team on average who will transfer this offseason. We aren't losing more than anyone else is to transfer, yet many people here act like this is a problem unique to our basketball program.

It's common to virtually all basketball programs now, and seems to be becoming a bigger issue in college football as well. I miss the days when players stuck by their commitment to a school and stayed at least 3, if not 4 years.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

it May be sometime after we stop winning 2/3 National Championships.

May 15, 2019, 12:18 PM [ in reply to When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing? ]

It’s early yet . . .

Difference is in the winning. Or not winning in BB's case.***

May 15, 2019, 12:21 PM [ in reply to When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing? ]

GO TIGERS!!

The difference is that our football coaches can do no wrong

May 15, 2019, 2:55 PM

and our basketball coaches are always to blame. At least in the eyes of some posters here.

See above statement about winning or not winning.***

May 15, 2019, 3:33 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Re: When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing?

May 15, 2019, 1:42 PM [ in reply to When is it okay to start complaining about how many transfers we seem to be losing? ]

Totally different.
Football players leave because too many 5 stars in front of them or they don’t think they can live up to their hype.
Our b-ball players leave because they want to be on a successful program.

No, our basketball players leave because they want more

May 15, 2019, 2:54 PM

playing time, and think they can get it elsewhere more than they can at Clemson.

The same reason is given for transferring in football. I don't have a problem with it, I'm just asking because every time we lose a basketball player to transfer, our "fans" here say things like:

-"Why are we losing so many basketball players to transfer?"
-"Why didn't our coaches do more to keep him?"
-"Our coaches must not know what they are doing"

Never mind the fact that our basketball program doesn't lose transfers more than average, we haven't lost any players who went on to excel elsewhere, and have almost always seen an upgrade at the position after the player leaves.

Some people just want to bash our basketball coaches for no reason.

I'm guessing the post spring depth chart just came out***

May 15, 2019, 11:59 AM

May 15, 2019, 12:03 PM

Hopefully Venables, Jones, Spector, and a few freshmen are ready.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Yes, it affects depth, but all you guys surmising what a

May 15, 2019, 12:07 PM

huge loss this is....based on what? Because I don't see it. I see a 5* who wasn't. Sometimes it happens that way. I wish him luck.

It is a huge loss, for the depth & knowledge of the defense

May 15, 2019, 1:22 PM

Shaq may not have had the physical freak of nature measurables, but he has had 3 years with BV as his coordinator and his position coach. Dropping his physical stature and knowledge of the playbook, with no LB early enrollees means more snaps for the other LBs and forcing an inexperienced LB to step in. The biggest question is how long does it take to get a frosh LB up to speed on the playbook, the defensive calls, the adjustments and audibles? For a DC like BV, football IQ way more often than not beats out pure freshman talent, otherwise, Stephone Anthony and Tony Steward would have beat out Spencer Shuey in the first practice of their careers, or Chad Smith or Shaq Smith would have beat out Ben Boulware early in their freshmen years, or DO'D would have had a 3-4 year starter's impact rather than just the two years he started...

You're assuming he knew the playbook. The knock on him

May 15, 2019, 2:07 PM

from the get-go was that he was having trouble picking up the schemes and responsibilities. Tony Steward tore his ACL his SR of HS then tore the other ACL his FR year at Clemson which was 2011. He wasn't able to fully perform until 2014, so that's not a good comparison.

Stephone Anthony started the first six games of his SO year (2012) but got beat out by a 6'3" 240 lb Shuey who happened to be a badass and was 2 years older. Shuey wasn't a scab by any means. This is from Shuey's bio...

"Before Clemson: Rated as the #24 inside linebacker in the nation by Rivals.com and #47 inside linebacker by ESPN.com ... #11 player in North Carolina by Rivals.com and #28 player by SuperPrep ... #79 defensive end in the nation by Scout.com ... defensive MVP of the Shrine Bowl; had seven tackles and two tackles for loss ... had 1,260 rushing yards and 16 scores along with 94 tackles and 10 tackles for loss as a senior ... team MVP in baseball and lettered in basketball"

Anthony didn't redshirt his FR year but certainly grew into the position. Shaq Smith has been at Clemson 3 years and simply has not developed to his potential coming out of HS. I'm not being critical, just stating a fact.

While it does hurt depth, and who knows what he would've been this season, there's no way to diagnose this as a 'huge loss'. We simply don't know.

Coming out of the spring, BV himself gave a glowing review

May 15, 2019, 3:24 PM

of Shaq, and no one anywhere knows BV to be the kind of guy to spin anything about his players that is not true. BV has always stated, when he would choose to make a statement, what sees and what he expects from his players; to him, they are all players and not recruits. We get caught up in the rankings and therefore designate breakouts and busts. Experience, in this case 3 years of learning, is a huge loss to any organization or team, it's what you do to replace it that determines continued progress or regression. What we don't know is how well the expectations for Shaq will be replaced...

But to your point, Steward's injury, I believe, set his entire career back not just his 1st year. Thanks for supporting my point about Stephone Anthony, and no, Spencer Shuey was no scab and never did I think that he was even coming out of high school. But comparatively, in his class, being the #24 Rivals ILB or the #47 ESPN ILB does not make him a bad-@$$, and neither would you think that of any recruit in any year that was ranked #24 ILB by Rivals or #47 by ESPN. What made him a bad-@$$ was the tutelage of Brent Venebles to use that 6'3, 240lbs to be a bad-@$$...

Re: You're assuming he knew the playbook. The knock on him

May 15, 2019, 6:43 PM [ in reply to You're assuming he knew the playbook. The knock on him ]

Tell me more! Tell me more! This is the only bright spot I've found in this disappointing news.

May 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

Yeah he was just never good enough and didnt pan out. I hope he has his degree before he is gone. Seemed like a class act who will thrive outside of being on the football field one day.

He received his degree in Parks, Recreation, and

May 15, 2019, 12:14 PM

Tourism Management on 5/9/19.

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/football/roster/shaq-smith/

- H. L. Mencken

Re: He received his degree in Parks, Recreation, and

May 15, 2019, 12:30 PM

(P)arty,(R)ight,(T)hrough,(M)ay!

May 15, 2019, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

This isn't true. He was thought by coach Venables to be our best lb and leader of the defense coming out of spring.

May 15, 2019, 12:24 PM

Leader maybe...if best we have a weak crew.

May 15, 2019, 12:30 PM

They said he played faster than Isaiah Simmons and he had finally put it all together. The coaches LOVED HIM. The idea that he wasn't good enough

May 15, 2019, 12:50 PM

Not buying it.

May 15, 2019, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

So, if that is the case, why is he leaving?

Is it safe to say, "that sucks!" Like everyone else, thought he was ready to take over***

May 15, 2019, 12:10 PM

Re: Is it safe to say, "that sucks!" Like everyone else, thought he was ready to take over***

May 15, 2019, 12:19 PM

I never believed he was going to breakout this year like others did. Why would I? He hadn't shown anything yet to lead to that conclusion.

Re: Is it safe to say, "that sucks!" Like everyone else, thought he was ready to take over***

May 15, 2019, 12:27 PM

The coaches were raving about him. They said he was one of the best players on the team coming out of spring and the leader of the defense

May 15, 2019, 12:29 PM

Whatever....he never showed it in a game and sometimes that is just motivation and not knowing what our young guys will do.

Each successive post of yours talks him up more and more

May 15, 2019, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it safe to say, "that sucks!" Like everyone else, thought he was ready to take over*** ]

Now he was one of the best players on the entire team and THE leader of the defense.

You better find some quotes to support that.

May 15, 2019, 12:14 PM

I'm just here from all the assumptions and guys taking negative about the kid. He's graduating this summer so maybe he just wants a fresh start somewhere else. It doesn't matter why, it's his decision. We don't have to like it but it is what it is. Good luck Shaq and we pray that God gives you good success wherever you end up young man.

Bummer . . . I’ve been waiting on him to put it altogether and ball out.

May 15, 2019, 12:17 PM

Wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Good luck, Shaq.***

May 15, 2019, 12:20 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Most of these guys entering the transfer portal

May 15, 2019, 12:23 PM

Have been out recruited. Dabo and staff brings in better talent every year than whats current on the team. It's up to the player to keep their postions..

Re: Most of these guys entering the transfer portal

May 15, 2019, 12:33 PM

Not sure what you mean by "out recruited". Shaq was a 5 star, we haven't signed any 6 stars to my knowledge.

Sometimes the ranking services, and coaches, miss on a

May 15, 2019, 12:43 PM

player, in which case it isn't a stretch to 'out recruit' a guy. This is a case where things just simply didn't work out.

A lot of these guys are getting bad advice, too, from daddies, mommas, uncles, grandfathers, cousins, friends, general hangers on, and the dude down the street who claims his baby momma's aunt's uncle played semi pro football.

Regardless of the reason, he about to not be here. Next man up.

Re: Sometimes the ranking services, and coaches, miss on a

May 15, 2019, 12:53 PM

I wouldn’t say that it’s set in stone that he’s leaving. Entering the portal gives the option to the player. From what I have read he has asked other schools not to contact him. Sounds like he has not made a decision either way yet, to me.

May 15, 2019, 1:17 PM

Dabo has said that once a player enters the portal, he's gone. All in or leave.

May 15, 2019, 1:19 PM

“I think when you enter the transfer portal, it just says you are leaving,” Swinney said. “That is what it says to me. There is really nothing else. To me there is nothing different. That is how I look at it.”

Do you think he played like a 5 star? No. He

May 15, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Most of these guys entering the transfer portal ]

Couldn't take the job away from undersized
Kendell Joseph. He was out recruited the
same way Kelly Bryant lost his job to Trevor Lawrence...

One thing for sure is if he doesn’t want to be here, he needs to go

May 15, 2019, 12:27 PM

We don’t want or need anybody that does not want to be here. That is not good for the team. Wish him & Feaster the best. Next man up

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

May 15, 2019, 12:38 PM

Sorry my loyalty is to Clemson - not any particular player. Shaq may be a great leader....and I wish him all the success in the world but this kid's been a bust since day one. Just like Feaster, he proved himself phenomenal in HS - but high school players don't always equate to good college or NFL players (Just ask Johnny Manziel)

Clemson is now a championship machine. Like KB2, Feaster and now Shaq, these guys just didn't materialize over other team members that wanted it more.

Next.

May 15, 2019, 12:46 PM

Feaster is FAR from a bust. He has the second best ypc of any clemson RB. His only problem is being behind #1.

May 15, 2019, 11:34 PM

....the fastest RB from SC, #1 hs player in the state....had major issues with pass blocking and injuries. He was passed up by a kid from LA that no one had ever heard. This coming season, Feaster, a senior, was slated to be co-backup with a sophomore (Dixon), behind junior, Etienne.

Could be a starter for the shamecocks but that’s a bust at Clemson

Yeah, Feaster was a very solid RB and would've been our #1

May 15, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

back at quite a few points in our recent history. I think he's been comparable to both James Davis and Ellington, and probably only trails Spiller and Etienne during the Bowden/Swinney eras.

May 15, 2019, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

Feaster is a stud. We lost a good one.

I have a couple of thoughts on this

May 15, 2019, 12:53 PM

I'm far from convinced he was going to make a major leap this year and even compete for a starting job. Sure he's really big and really fast, but he came to campus big and fast. You generally don't become a 5* recruit without being big and fast. He practically looked like an NFL LB when he stepped on campus 3 years ago. But that didn't stop him from being redshirted. How many 5* prospects have we redshirted during Dabo's tenure? Off the top of my head i cannot think of another example.

Being big and fast also never helped him climb any higher than 3rd on the depth chart at Mike or Will. When Tre Lamar went down with an injury Shaq Smith was never even considered as a replacement. He was never able to even beat out the Davis twins who quite a few here didn't even believe deserved roster spots. There's clearly been something missing from his game from day 1 that hasn't improved over the course of 3 seasons in the program so why should we expect it to click in year 4?

That said, from all accounts Shaq Smith was a great kid and the type of guy that you want in the program. We are going to be super thin at LB and he would've been valuable to the team even if he were limited to a backup role in 2019. Also, he waited patiently for 3 years to get a shot and i never heard news of any grumblings or discontent. I'm sorry to see him go and i do hope it was just a playing time issue. I guess only time will tell as he see where he may transfer and what kind of impact, if any, he is able to make next year.

Re: I have a couple of thoughts on this

May 15, 2019, 1:02 PM

KJ Henry

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Good call. I think that was likely because he needed to

May 15, 2019, 1:46 PM

bulk up. The new RS rule helps as well. We will probably see a few more guys RS now since they can still play in 4 games to get some experience.

May 15, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I have a couple of thoughts on this ]

KJ or XT could play LB, both are fast enough to cover a TE or H-Back, cover a lot of RBs.

May 16, 2019, 8:53 AM

I don't think you are completely wrong with this thought process. We could and have in the past used some 3-4 sets on defense. I am not sure how much we can do it this season with losing guys like Dex and Wilkins. Our DT's are young and no where near the size of those guys, but maybe someone will surprise us.
Also, might think Mascoll might be thrown in to this conversation. Undersized for our typical DE players so possibly could be something of a surprise here.
Lastly, I think this says a lot about Mike Jones and J. Venables. I just have this feeling J.Venables is going to turn in to and maybe already showing flashes of being a great LB. I mean pedigree alone. You know he knows the system like the back of his hand. Plus this kids work ethic and drive is through the roof. If you look at his physical make up when he was a junior in high school and then the transformation he made going in to his senior year and now. I just have this crazy feeling. I could be wrong, but just a hunch.

May 15, 2019, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I have a couple of thoughts on this ]

Venables has repeatedly shown he wants brains over athleticism at his linebacker positions, especially at the mike. Shaq came in a hell of an athlete. There must have been something on the mental side to keep his physical gifts off the field.

May 15, 2019, 12:58 PM

And now we really start to see the real fallout from the new and "improved" rules.

He could've done this under the old rules.

He's graduating and eligible to transfer under the old graduate transfer rule.

The only things that have changed in this situation are, 1) there's now an official transfer portal so that teams can contact him legally without having to break rules by doing it behind the scenes in secret, and 2) the staff cannot block any potential transfer destinations.

Re: He could've done this under the old rules.

May 15, 2019, 6:40 PM

So these new standards are subversive to their "victims." Seriously, it hurts both the player and the university/team. However, it seems to ultimately hurt the player more than it does the university.

May 15, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal ]

funny how it starts off slow and then picks up speed. Probably not far from dropping once a Clemson man always a Clemson man,

May 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

Shaq got his degree! He is a Clemson man... he has a lot more rings than I have!

He is really right with Kelly b. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

May 15, 2019, 1:29 PM

Definitely my first thought. This smells of a little “get back” at the staff. Either that or Feaster has let it be known that SEC money is pouring into the transfer portal. Think about it: we can see who is in the transfer portal so maybe there’s a black market for certain position needs and salary structure that we don’t see. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

May 15, 2019, 1:28 PM

Dabo did say that Skalski could have started last year....

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 1:29 PM

That surprises me. I really thought Shaq,would starr.

This transfer portal thing is bad for some kids.

May 15, 2019, 1:32 PM

Good for some, bad for others.

Shaq Smith and Tavien Feaster should not be transferring. I get Hunter Johnson and even Kelly Bryant. (lesser extent Kelly Bryant) but these last two are flat out mistakes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is very ....

May 15, 2019, 1:34 PM

.... disappointing!! Been watching and waiting for Shaq’s breakout year - and thought this would be it..... Maybe it’s like David said - and he is going “home” to play for his “dad” ... but that doesn’t make it less disappointing.... Think it probably has more to do with depth chart .... Also - if he transfers to another school - won’t think any less of him as a person - but his value as a football player will plummet - sorry - but can only hold one team all-in in my heart ......

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: This is very ....

May 15, 2019, 1:56 PM

I agree it is disappointing, but only time will tell if we lost this great player we were hoping for. I have my doubts. He is just forcing our hand and making some true frosh grow up fast.

May 15, 2019, 1:51 PM

I feel like we are absolutely done as a program now. Its like losing an all time great like Tarik Rollins type, or when Grant Oliver never played, or when Corico Hawkins moved on.

May 15, 2019, 1:53 PM

Clemson LB to enter transfer portal

Clemson graduate linebacker Shaq Smith has entered the NCAA transfer portal, a source confirmed on Wednesday. He could transfer and play immediately for his fin Read Update »

Just one difference Shaq. All the men you mentioned were great but they were also loyal, waited their turn and stayed at Clemson. I wish you would consider that and think if transferring will really do anything to further advance your draft status. You are following a disturbing trend. I’m not sure if it’s the right path to follow.

May 15, 2019, 2:07 PM

Say it aint so, it doesn't make any sense. As others have noted the coaches were raving about him during the spring. I met him last fall after a game and he seemed like a good person and happy to be at Clemson. Real head scratcher.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It ain't so,

May 15, 2019, 2:33 PM

it doesn't make any sense. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson LB to enter transfer portal***

May 15, 2019, 2:48 PM

May 15, 2019, 3:08 PM

Feasted leaving makes more sense than Shaq, regardless of what team he goes to. I mean Shaq has waited 3 years to finally get a starting role, is postured to get that starting role this season, and now quits the team? Madness.

May 15, 2019, 3:10 PM

I see the opposite. Feaster was going to get a bunch of carries and shine. Shaq may have just been in mop up duty like the last few years.

May 15, 2019, 4:04 PM
IMG_-8cs78q.jpg(211.9 K)
IMG_xokj8o.jpg(208.6 K)

We don't do rb by committee...You can just look at how the carries went and see that Feaster would never get the carries he deserves here.

Huh...can't say I saw this coming

May 15, 2019, 3:12 PM

Feaster...maybe. But from all accounts Smith was set to be the man in the middle. Maybe in the end it just didn't all come together for him this spring. Smith was always a bit of a mystery to me though. On paper, he should be one of the best in the nation at MIKE. Prototypical size and speed. I really expected him to show up on campus and make his presence known from day 1. That's not the way Coach Venables develops that position, though. He seems to go with the more cerebral players above those that are simply physically gifted. You have to be a real workman to succeed in Clemson's LB rotation.

Either way, congratulations on your graduation, Mr Smith. I wish you all success in your future endeavors.

Nov 17, 2022, 1:06 PM

In the words of Curley Bill..........”well BYE!”

May 15, 2019, 6:35 PM

What? Why?

May 15, 2019, 6:47 PM

Shaq, if it's not too late, please reconsider. You will be awesome this year at Clemson. Don't break the brotherhood!

he just texted me and told me that you changed his mind

May 15, 2019, 7:05 PM

tigernet is powerful

May 15, 2019, 11:30 PM

IDK - I agree with most of you. Something smells here. Feaster and Shaq wait til they graduate and have one more year and then think about transfer? Smith set to start - why leave now then? Feaster to get plenty of carries - the NFL knows talent, he's better off as a reserve running behind our line that getting killed behind a poor line. Like KB - anyone think his chances improved by leaving? I don't think so - like our guys that leave early and then don't even get drafted - lots of bad advice out there. I guess they don't all listen to Dabo!

I DESPISE the ransfer portal!

May 16, 2019, 11:39 AM

This is yet another reflection of the Instant Gratification Generation. No loyalty. Not willing to put the time in. Tye grass is always greener - NOW!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GENERATION AND OUR SOCIETY!!! And how do we fix it for the next generations.

Extremely flawed logic

May 16, 2019, 12:41 PM

The real problem with this thinking, based purely on his comments is that somehow he is going to show up at another school, under different direction, with different players who he has no bond with and look forward to being their leader? I think he may be in for a rude awakening!

Replies: 126
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic