Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Koenning Resigns as Defensive Coordinator
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Dec 2, 2008, 7:08 PM

Koenning served as defensive coordinator and secondary coach for the last four seasons.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Coach Vic.***

Dec 2, 2008, 7:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Thank you Coach Vic.***

Dec 3, 2008, 4:06 AM

Agreed. He did well in his time at Clemson. Defense was never the reason the program was not moving forward in his time here.

Koennig has set the bar for next DC....thanks Vic.

Dec 2, 2008, 7:22 PM

I just hope this is not Dabo's first mistake. Surely they have someone locked up before the decision.

Re: Koennig has set the bar for next DC....thanks Vic.

Dec 2, 2008, 8:02 PM

I don't think this is a mistake.
I think after the FSU game, Dabo knew he had a problem.

Several good DC's out there that would like to be at Clemson. (One is down the road in Columbia).

Maybe someone off the Miss State staff or maybe even John Chavous from TN.

Don't worry about this one since as Walt says, only the bad offenses make good defenses.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well......bye***

Dec 2, 2008, 7:53 PM

Re: well......bye***

Dec 2, 2008, 6:55 AM

Tombstone..............Great movie!

Re: well......bye***

Dec 3, 2008, 12:31 AM

sure is!

Gonna miss Vic. I appreciate his hard work he put into our

Dec 2, 2008, 7:54 PM

defense. Good luck to him where ever he ends up.

Thanks Coach...good luck!***

Dec 2, 2008, 9:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Coach...good luck!***

Dec 2, 2008, 9:40 PM

I can't really understand this move by Dabo. Overall defense has been quite good. And we see less mental lapses on the sideline w/ Coach Vic than we do w/ offensive coaches. (For example, at end of first half versus SC they left 6 crucial seconds run off the clock before Dabo called the timeout. This is the same type of mental mistakes by coaches that were the norm under bowden, so I am not sure how much better will life be under Dabo unless he learns quickly that players can play their hearts out but coaches need to be on the top of their game and mentally make no mistakes with respect to clock management, etc.)

Mixed emotions here too. D wasn't great. But it was good.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:11 PM

Clemson's defense could have been better over Koenning's tenure, but it was awfully good at times, and it was probably good enough to win the ACC for the last few years when the ACC was weak. I'm not sure if Koenning's defense would have been good enough in the future against an improving ACC (especially FSU, Miami, UNC). And it certainly didn't hold up against Alabama. But for the last few years, the defense wasn't typically the problem. It was the offense.

Granted, Vic's defense could be a bit soft at times, and squander 3rd-and-longs. I think Dabo & I both wanted Koenning to play more blitz and man coverage with the talent that Clemson had in the secondary. And I could understand if Dabo wanted a harder-nosed style of defense. But I wonder if Dabo will really be able to hire somebody better.

Would Dabo have canned VK if Dabo didn't already have somebody better lined up? I hope that this doesn't lead to a bowl loss.

I agree....

Dec 2, 2008, 11:43 PM

esp. on the 3rd-and-longs point. Lot of people like to argue stats, but that is something that is omitted. Sure, scoring defense is top-ten this year. Last year's overall defense (I don't remember exact numbers) was in top 20, etc. but when it comes to 3rd down and long, we can't protect the marker. Don't know how it happens, its those guys out there seeing doing it on the field compared to me yelling at the tv, but I know it can be better, and I trust Dabo to get someone who can protect the chains.

Vic was great; he'll make a great coach elsewhere, but I don't disagree with Dabo "cleaning shop."

If all this noise about Nebraska is true, I think we can get a much needed bowl win.

Because he was uncertain of his role he quit??

Dec 2, 2008, 11:20 PM

Would have loved to keep him

Re: Because he was uncertain of his role he quit??

Dec 3, 2008, 4:04 AM

Rumors have been flying since Dabo took over as the interim head coach that they weren't going to get along for the long term. He probably knew he was going to get canned after the season so he decided to start his job search now.

If it needed to be done fine

Dec 2, 2008, 11:23 PM

I don't think the product on the field was the reason though. Number one scoreing defense in the ACC. I don't think we lost because of defense since Vic has been here. All that being said I think he took the Bowden thing to hard and would have left anyway.

Re: If it needed to be done fine

Dec 3, 2008, 12:33 AM

maybe FSU (lost because of defense)

The defense overall was great, but....

Dec 3, 2008, 1:39 AM

over the four years we did seem to lose the close ones because of the style of our defense. The bend but don't break, zone defense philosophy obviously creates good numbers. But, how many close games did we lose because we only rushed 3 and the QB picked apart our zones? BC game last year? Would have been in the Championship game.

Re: Koenning Resigns as Defensive Coordinator

Dec 3, 2008, 10:01 AM

i hope dabo isnt on track to destruction.defense wasnt broken.why get rid of a good coach?good luck coach Koenning

Re: Koenning Resigns as Defensive Coordinator

Dec 3, 2008, 12:51 PM

Vic resigned- Dabo didn't get rid of him??? I'm sure a DC and former head coach might have some issues working for a WR's coach? I would.

Re: What a shame

Dec 4, 2008, 9:44 AM

He did wonders for our defense. I hate to see him go. Really the only time the defense let us down is when the offense couldn't stay on the field long enough to give em a break. I could only imagine how good they could be if the offense could consistently sustain drives.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic