Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The death of politics?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

The death of politics?

Jul 1, 2016, 6:41 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/opinion/the-governing-cancer-of-our-time.html?_r=0

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The death of politics?

Jul 1, 2016, 6:45 AM

If politics is dead, then why take the time to post this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2016, 6:59 AM

I don't have a dog in this hunt, ( I lean strong defense and fiscal but could care less on social) but, out of 325 million people, these are the best 2 we could come up with? One talks out his a$$, and the other hasn't said the truth in 30 + yrs. seriously? Anyone watch Brewsters millions? I vote none of the above.

Jul 1, 2016, 8:41 AM

Perhaps the OP should have included more than just a link, but you're missing the point of the OP. David Brooks is sometimes slightly more conservative than my view, but in this piece, he's right on. When he says death of politics, he means the process by which we get things done in government, i.e., dialogue and compromise. He cites the tea party, but notes that they are merely the highest profile party and that groups on the left are equally dogmatic.

He makes the point that Trump is not a new candidate, but rather a continuation of this style. That style being a refusal to listen to the other side and a take no prisoners approach toward total victory on your point regardless of the consequences for society as a whole. There's more to his point and I would encourage you to read the Op Ed piece.

Obituary?***

Jul 1, 2016, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: The death of politics? ]

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Jul 1, 2016, 7:09 AM

He should have wrote one about the death of journalism.

Jul 1, 2016, 7:43 AM

Yes sir, the very pot that heats up everything until it boils it over!!! Re-write the rules for the system hiding behind journalism, the one that says what ever, truth or lies, it doesn't matter when their type of journalism is involved!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo.

Jul 1, 2016, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: The death of politics? ]

Journalists are nearly as bad as used car salesmen now...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

David Brooks is Right

Jul 1, 2016, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: The death of politics? ]

I don't usually say that, but he is dead on in this piece. I spend a big chunk of my life in DC both on the hill and dealing with administrative agencies. It's much worse on the hill. The very idea of compromise is offensive to most politicians. Our country was founded by men willing to compromise to create a union that would last. Where would we be if the more populated states refused to compromise and create a senate with 2 representatives from each state along with a house of representatives based on population? Would we have started out with separate northern and southern loose confederations of states? Would those divided entities been able to prevail in another war with England in 1812. If so, how long would slavery in the south lasted? How would our country have grown? My guess is that what is now the United States would be at least a dozen different countries looking much like Europe.

Fantastic article

Jul 1, 2016, 7:25 AM

Perfectly characterizes my frustrations with voters today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're going to really be frustrated come January 20***

Jul 1, 2016, 7:34 AM

We will survive whomever is elected this Fall

Jul 1, 2016, 8:59 AM

We survived both George W and Barack Obama. I could go through history and cite numerous bad presidents and we survived and flourished through them all. We do need to find a way to get our elected officials to listen to and cooperate with those with opposing views.

From a presidential view, Clinton likely fits that bill. I don't trust her, but she's much more moderate than Obama and her history shows someone willing to compromise. Trump scares me more than Clinton because I think he's not mentally stable for that role. That said, he's less entrenched in any position, so I think he'll be willing to compromise as well. He's certainly not on the right wing of the Republican party.

In the long term, we need to work on the party primary process because it tends to lead toward candidates supported primarily by their party's extreme, either left or right. We also need to work on gerrymandering because that leads to safe seats where all candidates need to worry about is winning their party's nomination. The combination of those two things lead to elected officials who can keep their job as long as they keep their far right or left base happy, which means it's death to even listen to the other side.

Campaign finance/lobbying and the 'purchase' of seats...

Jul 1, 2016, 9:14 AM

'Democracy' For Sale to the highest bidder....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We will survive whomever is elected this Fall

Jul 1, 2016, 10:51 AM [ in reply to We will survive whomever is elected this Fall ]

Stop!!! What a bunch of crap! No compromise by the "right"... Seriously? Look at your world and your country. Compare today versus 2006 when the Democrats took over power in this country. American culture and policy has leaped so far to the left that you would not have believed it possible 10 years ago. It has given rise to Trump and some others like him throughout the world. Seriously...where was the effing compromise during the Obamacare debates in congress in 2009...oh effing yeah...there were no debates!!!!!

The Elites lost their minds over the Tea Party and now Brexit. They hate Trump. All because it robs them of power. F*cking tyrants!! I think Trump is distasteful, but I cannot live with 4 more years of this crap.

This may be a hobby for you. Not for me. I lost a six figure job due to "green" policies by Obama (De-Growth Initiative announced a year ago temporarily killed the industry I was in), and now in my mid fifties I have been unemployed for a year. Being overqualified (was a Director) can't get a lower job (as an Engineer), and hearing stupid age biased excuses for leadership jobs. I have crappy worthless insurance now (costs me $500/month) that paid very little when I had a heart issue (stress), now I'm $150K in debt for a heart surgery that saved my life. My house ($400K) is now sold and my wife and I are trying to find an apartment that we can afford on her teacher's pension.

So "F" you and your Democrat elitist bullsh*t. Bad president...Obama=Bush...not even close. At least Bush liked the United States. I'm ready to take back my country for my children and grand children. By whatever mean necessary.

Jul 1, 2016, 1:36 PM

You have my sympathy over losing your job and MY EMPATHY over your house, but there are a heck of a lot more people with jobs right now under Obama than there were under Bush II. I lost $60,000 in investments and my house(in the Wells Fargo scam) under Bush II, so I'm going to say that I don't want any fool like that in the White House again. I don't want to see $5+ a gallon at the pump so big oil and the Saudis(who attacked us on 9/11) can become even richer by gouging the American public. That being said I view Trump as the worst Presidential candidate of 65 years(and I've seen some doozies, McGovern,Dukakis, George Wallace, Gore, and Bush II), and I will vote for Hillary(whom I really don't like much) just to keep that disaster out of the White House.

Jul 1, 2016, 1:50 PM

That economy tank in 2008 was caused by your Democrats trying to make home ownership affordable for everyone. It was a nice thought, but, putting aside fiduciary principals in lieu of good intentions made for a world wide disaster. I lost about the same amount as you (401K) in that one and about $90K at the end of Clinton's era, though I don't blame him. I do feel bad for your loss of a house, but that wasn't Bush. I guess you hate him and I'm not defending him, but give credit where credit is due...Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Clinton administration genesis.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the Republicans, who do nothing but protect their "phony baloney jobs" (think Blazing Saddles). But I save the most vile hatred for those who obfuscate, lie, and spin. They have no integrity. I'm sick of the Dem's. Here's a great Hillary quote for you: "There is no black, no white, only varying shades of grey".

Jul 1, 2016, 2:06 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree brother, but I ain't real happy with our choices this time either! We are ###### if we do, ###### if we don't in this election.

You didn't lose a dime on investments, unless you were foolish

Jul 1, 2016, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: We will survive whomever is elected this Fall ]

enough to cash out while the market was down!

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 more years of this crap?

Jul 1, 2016, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: We will survive whomever is elected this Fall ]

You must have been in misery in comparison during W's 8 years.

glad i own 2 rv's & a 5th Wheel SO i can

Jul 1, 2016, 2:21 PM

Get the hail ouf of America ( to Canada) especially IF it's Hillary.

If Trump wins somehow then i will go down & help build the Wall & live in one of my old rigs.

LoL but crying too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The RV'ing sounds great. Has to be some place better than...

Jul 1, 2016, 2:25 PM

the desert though.

You think Hillary Clinton is mentally stable?***

Jul 1, 2016, 4:25 PM [ in reply to We will survive whomever is elected this Fall ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You think Hillary Clinton is mentally stable?***

Jul 1, 2016, 5:30 PM

NO

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where O where

Jul 1, 2016, 7:41 AM

Is Carson when you need him.....or even that little queer Senator from SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Uhhh...P&R bored?***

Jul 1, 2016, 8:02 AM

This is the exact type of BS you expect

Jul 1, 2016, 8:05 AM

from NYTimes

What a MO-RON ...

We need experienced "negotiators" like Charlie Rangel ?

This dude leans so far to the left, he gets gravel stuck in his left ear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped reading at "The New York Times"***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2016, 9:02 AM

##### DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TIGER FOOTBALLL?????

P&R bored is that way --------->

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

thank goodness you posted this under Tiger Football

Jul 1, 2016, 10:56 AM

on the main board.....its much too informative to go on the Politics&Religion Board

with any luck the mods will move it instead of simply deleting it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thank goodness you posted this under Tiger Football

Jul 1, 2016, 2:21 PM

With the mods on this site it'll probably be in tiger football for a few more hours.

Mods? We have mods??***

Jul 1, 2016, 6:08 PM

Politics isn't dead but it's in critical condition.

Jul 1, 2016, 8:39 PM

Some folks have learned from the last two candidate running in the presidential general election that it there isn't snuff difference between pub and dem candidates. They are all progressive. McCain-Obama, and Obama-Romney.

If one finds a difference between either of those two it's because they have such a window which does not included true conservative attitude toward taxes, spending and government growth. A little window provides only a little field of vision.

Before one of the idiots accuse me, I do not hate children, firemen, policemen, teacher, auto workers, kittens or puppies. We just need to downsize government or at least stop it dead in it's tracks.

The writer is ignoring the obvious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic