Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "countdown clock" got me thinking...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

The "countdown clock" got me thinking...

Mar 6, 2014, 8:28 PM

Is recruiting a lot of these elite guys like Sammy and Tahj from out of state hurting us when it comes to playing SC?

There is no way these players can really understand the rivalry without having grown up around it and around Gamecock fans.

Obviously we get a lot of the top players from the state of SC but lately the Gamecocks have probably recruited better (gotten the last 4 out 5 Mr. Footballs) than us.

I think getting elite talent from outside of SC helps explain how we're having so much success as a program right now but not winning the games against USC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "countdown clock" got me thinking...

Mar 6, 2014, 8:36 PM

It's been clear which team has the mentality of "we own this state." It hasn't been us.

Even this past year, we found a way to ###### defeat from the jaws of victory in this game.

It's borderline inexplicable, because I don't think we have a greater ratio of out-of-staters than we did in the 2003 game.

If its a 5* from SC-NC-GA vs a 5* from FL or CA, I'd agree.

Mar 6, 2014, 8:36 PM

But if its a 4-5* from FL vs a 3-4* from SC, I'll be happy with the decision.

CJ Spiller and Charlie Whitehurst did pretty well against SCar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see what you're saying, and have

Mar 6, 2014, 8:38 PM

to agree to some point, especially after seeing Rod McDowell (Sumter Native) run his tail off vs USuCk this year. However, USuCk has had some key players from out of state as well. Getting the best players in the state would be the best solution, but I wouldn't trade Tajh or Sammy for anyone.

That might be part of it, but don't be fooled

Mar 6, 2014, 8:54 PM

"Mr. Football" might not be the best player in the state, and even if they are, they might not be at a position of need for Clemson. I'm also not sure that it's true South Carolina has more players from the state, even if most of their best players seem to be from SC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That might be part of it, but don't be fooled

Mar 6, 2014, 9:17 PM

All good posts in this thread. I haven't thought it through fully nor I have done the research (in-state kids for USC vs Clemson and how many SC kids Clemson has now vs 2003), this was more of just a gut reaction.

But when I see Swearinger lay that hit on Ellington and then celebrate in his face drawing a personal foul in OUR stadium and then I don't see that type of aggression from our players, it just makes me feel like they aren't taking it as seriously.

Re: That might be part of it, but don't be fooled

Mar 7, 2014, 1:27 AM

So we lose because our players aren't jerks?

The instate kids probably understand the rivalry more

Mar 6, 2014, 9:08 PM

but don't make the mistake of thinking the out of state guys don't want the W. If I had to choose between the top talent in the entire Southeast (outside of SC) or the top talent in-state, I think anyone would choose the entire southeast.

That being said I kind of find it funny that we praise Dabo and the football staff for being able to go raid Florida/Georgia/etc. year in and year out but criticize Jack Leggett for not recruiting in-state more. **DISCLAIMER** I am not defending or attacking any coaches, just stating my opinion **

Mar 6, 2014, 9:15 PM

It has me thinking how people like and accept it for football and then use the Leggett puts too much pressure on the kids and has them wound tight argument for baseball. Seems like the exact same thing they accuse Leggett of.

Mar 6, 2014, 9:47 PM

The old drunk ball coach just has Dabos number. As bad as I hate to, sometimes we must simply give credit where credit is due.

Sooo what you're saying is...

Mar 6, 2014, 9:49 PM

We would have won more games if the players cared more/ tried harder?

While I would say we had the better team this past year, I do not think trying harder or caring more would have stopped any of those turnovers. Furthermore, I would say if they cared less there is a better chance of not turning the ball over.

I will personally just stick with getting the best players from wherever vs targeting SC guys more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sooo what you're saying is...

Mar 6, 2014, 11:51 PM

> We would have won more games if the players cared
> more/ tried harder?
I'm not saying anything, just asking a question. I agree that I would rather have a better out of state player than a 3* SC player but it just seems they (USC) get up more for the game.
What was the last "big hit" one of our players put on a Carolina player?
I think though it does have something to do with the fact that we are experiencing such great success over the past few years but we can't consistently say this is our state. I hate hearing Gamecock fans say that is their state.

Mar 6, 2014, 10:05 PM

Sounds good but… I would say nobody can attend Clemson for at least three years and not hate the coots. Likewise for them. The rivalry is too big on both campuses to not understand.

Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 AM

I came here from NJ in 1970 and hated the Coots within a couple minutes of being on campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

I simply see that when Spurier arrived, he

Mar 7, 2014, 1:45 AM

Had a lot of fat out of shape players and not very much talent. So ,he set about building a program from the ground up. He recruited really well and redshirted many players . They took their lumps for years while meantime we were hanging on to T. Bowden lolligaggin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I simply see that when Spurier arrived, he

Mar 7, 2014, 1:45 AM

Had a lot of fat out of shape players and not very much talent. So ,he set about building a program from the ground up. He recruited really well and redshirted many players . They took their lumps for years while meantime we were hanging on to T. Bowden lolligaggin

Lolligaggin about 5 years too long.

Mar 7, 2014, 2:04 AM

So Phillips was finally able to make the change , know that Dabo could in with his energy and work ethic and wake up and shake up the Sleeping Giant ........ideally , in building a successful program, you would love to be able redshirt the entire freshman class.,but if you get one so good you have to use him.Dont worry , we are on track to get back to beating USC on a regular basis . But these past few USC teams can't be compared to their sorry teams of the past .Apples and oranges.

had the oppurtunity

Mar 7, 2014, 2:20 AM

To listen to Wofford soccer coach Ralph Polson speak recently. He said that the key to success is in state recruiting with the addition of a few out of state pieces. He said that in state players understand the pride of winning against other in state programs.

It has been no secret that spurriers success has been to keep in state talent at USC. Although having out of state blue chippers is important, too many guys growing up watching UF/FSU doesnt have the same effect on the rivalry as kids who grow up idolizing USC or Clemson. It means more mentally to in state players.

So their saying the game starts @ 8 PM that night.

Mar 7, 2014, 3:23 AM

Nice. I figured it was probably a 7, 7:45, 8:00 PM kickoff.

Mar 7, 2014, 4:29 AM

I can answer this with one statement...Player development. If a kid is a 5 star coming out of high school and he remains a high school caliper player, he will fall short as a college player. We have taken 3 stars and made the NFL ready by their junior years. That is the difference and that's the only way you can explain it. We don't pull 5 stars (Clowney and Gilmore and Lattimore vs Clemson 3 in one year alone) and we develop 3 and 4 stars. That is squarely on the coaching and strenght and conditioning program. If Clemson falls short there, then they are they are not going to field a team that is taking care of business in those areas. They will lose to those that are. The ACC is a basketball driven conference with a few football schools. The commitment may never come to host quality teams through out the conference. The lack of quality competition will also hurt. I guess it isn't that simple after all.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic