Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
These strands of covid they’re finding.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 479

These strands of covid they’re finding.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:04 AM

Why is the media calling it new strands of covid 19? Isn’t it called Covid 19 because it was found first in 2019? Shouldn’t these new strands been called Covid 20 or Covid 21?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It stresses me that they aren't telling folks it's much...

Jan 13, 2021, 7:14 AM

less deadly. Maybe more people will die from it because it spreads so much easier but that would make it less deadly to the youth and perhaps graduate toward the older generation.

I really don't care what they call it, the Vid is fine with me. I don't think it matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. It's still 19 because it's a mutation of that virus....

Jan 13, 2021, 7:18 AM

Not a new virus.

The different strands are nothing new. When it first hit Seattle way back in March, there were already six mutated strands. The whole 'new strand' news is just media hogwash.

However, the more people get infected, the more strands you get, the higher the chance it mutates itself out of the vaccine's ability to protect us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The coronavirus was first discovered in the 60’s

Jan 13, 2021, 7:24 AM

So, Covid 19 wasn’t a new virus, it’s was a new strand of the coronavirus, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it...

Jan 13, 2021, 7:47 AM

seem like the most important thing when identifying a virus is making sure the medical community recognizes it and therefor knows how to properly treat the patient. If you want to call it Covid 21 that's fine but I don't believe it treatment or vaccine will change due to the mutations which have been discovered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same virus. Different strands. If they named every strand

Jan 13, 2021, 7:51 AM

different, there would be probably a dozen or more Covid 2021 viruses now, and thousands of Covid 19's. The strands are usually named denoting their changes from the original. They are named based on their lineage in the evolution of the virus basically.

FYI:
The British variant is called 20B/501Y.V1, VOC 202012/01, or B.1.1.7 (B denoting Britain)
The South African strain is called 20C/501Y.V2 or B.1.351

More info from the CDC....

Emerging Variants
B.1.1.7 lineage (a.k.a. 20B/501Y.V1 Variant of Concern (VOC) 202012/01)

This variant has a mutation in the receptor binding domain (RBD) of the spike protein at position 501, where amino acid asparagine (N) has been replaced with tyrosine (Y). The shorthand for this mutation is N501Y. This variant also has several other mutations, including:
69/70 deletion: occurred spontaneously many times and likely leads to a conformational change in the spike protein
P681H: near the S1/S2 furin cleavage site, a site with high variability in coronaviruses. This mutation has also emerged spontaneously multiple times.
ORF8 stop codon (Q27stop): mutation in ORF8, the function of which is unknown.
This variant is estimated to have first emerged in the UK during September 2020.
Since December 20, 2020, several countries have reported cases of the B.1.1.7 lineage, including the United States and Canada.
Preliminary epidemiologic indicators suggest that this variant is associated with increased transmissibility (i.e., more efficient and rapid transmission).
Currently there is no evidence to suggest that the variant has any impact on the severity of disease or vaccine efficacy.
B.1.351 lineage (a.k.a. 20C/501Y.V2)

This variant has multiple mutations in the spike protein, including N501Y. Unlike the B.1.1.7 lineage detected in the UK this variant does not contain the deletion at 69/70.
This variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa, in samples dating back to the beginning of October 2020, and cases have since been detected outside of South Africa.
The variant also was identified in Zambia in late December 2020, at which time it appeared to be the predominant variant in the country.
Currently there is no evidence to suggest that this variant has any impact on disease severity or vaccine efficacy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohio. Go figure.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:58 AM

We now have our own new strain......we actually found one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/ohio-researchers-say-theyve-identified-two-new-covid-strains-likely-originating-in-the-us.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 479
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic