Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At the end of these protests and riots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 847

At the end of these protests and riots

Jun 1, 2020, 9:49 AM

there needs to be action. I think that's what's missing from all of this.

A black man is killed by police. There are riots. In a few days it all goes back to normal until another black man is killed by police then we are back.

Our leaders at every level from local police chief to the White House/FBI/DOJ need to act.

There needs to be a plan put in place in every single department to end this systemic racism.

I have no idea what that plan would look like. But there needs to be productive steps taken to ensure that police are able to protect the public safely, while black people don't have to worry about dying with every traffic stop.

If not, we will see this over and over again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I don't know about the racism thing...

Jun 1, 2020, 9:56 AM

I just don't know why there are so many police offers who don't seem to be emotionally stable and empathetic. It seems like those two qualities would be at the very top of the list for candidates.

I would be in favor of increasing salaries (like, a lot) if that's what it takes to get higher quality officers. And of course, a drastic increase in training, if that will help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever met someone who has been a cop for a while?

Jun 1, 2020, 10:13 AM

They think everyone is guilty of something. Its a burnout gig--after a while, they can't unsee what they have seen when dealing with people at the worst points in their lives.

That, and law enforcement seems to already attract those who are mentally unstable to begin with. Many come into the profession with a chip on their shoulders, and want to be quazi military.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like we could do something about

Jun 1, 2020, 10:14 AM

the second paragraph...don't hire those people.

uh huh

Jun 1, 2020, 10:17 AM

Who else wants to do that gig? You have to have some inferiority and power complexes if you even want to be a cop.

Hassling people who park their boat trailers in an empty parking lot is a hard job; it takes a special person to want to do that kind of stuff.

If I wasn't doing what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind being

Jun 1, 2020, 10:22 AM

a cop.

Like a small town cop though.

You don't have to do ####. The guys in my town's police force are lazy AF. They may pull somebody over once or twice a month. Other than that it's responding to wrecks and overdoses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^He's teed this one up for somebody.

Jun 1, 2020, 10:23 AM

I'll let someone else take the swing.

Whats different between the gym teacher version of you

Jun 1, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to If I wasn't doing what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind being ]

and the small town cop version of you? Im not seeing too much difference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Do you think increasing salaries would help?

Jun 1, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to uh huh ]

I don't know what they currently make. What if six figures was the minimum? Just throwing a number out.

I would counter with

Jun 1, 2020, 10:27 AM

you're going to increase pay to the people who are killing black people.

Good luck on reelection.

No, you would increase the pay of people who aren't

Jun 1, 2020, 10:28 AM

and firing/prosecuting the ones who are.

That's not how the protesters are going to see it

Jun 1, 2020, 10:33 AM

and that's not what the ads during the campaign are going to say.

FBCoach, lets have a word

Jun 1, 2020, 10:35 AM

You could give reparations and it still wouldn't be enough. Nothing will ever be enough to appease people that want to be angry. They will ALWAYS want more. Don't lie to yourself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's say for a moment we are interested

Jun 1, 2020, 10:40 AM [ in reply to That's not how the protesters are going to see it ]

in solving a problem, not winning an election.

Re: Let's say for a moment we are interested

Jun 1, 2020, 10:41 AM

Miss Jay Gif GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Lol. Can you imagine if the response to the riots was

Jun 1, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I don't know about the racism thing... ]

increased pay for cops?

null

How about shock treatment of all police?

Jun 1, 2020, 10:08 AM

I think that gotta do something...,whadda you think, cooch?

Seriously, training might help some, but I doubt it would change much.
Quick answer is rapid justice and don’t put convicted police into sequestered prison population....

We need more Diversity Training -Race Awareness Workshop 101***

Jun 1, 2020, 10:19 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

That already happens***

Jun 1, 2020, 10:23 AM

Here's what must change on the police end

Jun 1, 2020, 10:38 AM [ in reply to How about shock treatment of all police? ]

Training:

-No more Billy Bad ### cops. Buzz cuts, ### hats who put skull and bones on their uniforms or have wet dreams about SWAT, etc. Get rid of that culture.
-Stop training cops that every citizen they come across is a potential killer. End the "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" mentality (yes, I've interviewed enough police to know this is what's pushed in their training).
-Better PR and community outreach with all police. In my neighborhood and surrounding community, we have a great relationship with local police. The assigned deputy will visit with citizens regularly to discuss issues (at one point, it was an African American man; now it's a Hispanic woman). The previous deputy came to my house twice to sit down with me and discuss neighborhood watch concerns. We need more of that.
-Eliminate tactics that immediately call for greeting protesters or demonstrators with billy clubs, full armor, and tear gas. I agree that some situations may call for that, but don't make that the first move.
-Hire more black cops and work on that community outreach. I know folks will start screaming affirmative action, but if there's ever a place we need more black people in the ranks, it's here.
-Obviously, every department should revisit use of lethal force and any physical force when restraining a suspect.
-Mandatory anger/emotion control training for all police. I believe many of these problems are a result of lost tempers.

Equipment:

-End the militarization of all police forces today. No more military surplus equipment. Take away their tanks and other heavy-duty stuff. Stop arming our police as if we the people are a foreign enemy.
-Explore more non-lethal measures to deal with suspects.

Laws:
-Time to start taking a serious look at marijuana legalization to eliminate locking people up over pointless possession charges.
-New legislation that requires swift action and prosecution for cops who kill unjustly. No more circling the wagons or protecting them from justice. Make police chiefs and sheriffs liable if they don't act.

I don't know that these are end all, be all measures, but they're a start.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Here's what must change on the police end

Jun 1, 2020, 10:46 AM

While you are at it maybe address that the criminal elements in certain areas need to stop frigging shooting folks too. Gangs in major cities are a major source of police not being able to effectively deal with parts of towns. They roll in and are constantly under the gun , literally. SO all that is fine but failure to speak about both sides of the equation is just simply silly.

Chicago over a long weekend has some serious issues with certain segments shooting the heck out of the place.

I can't decide if...

Jun 1, 2020, 10:26 AM

This is going to escalate and there is going to be major, drastic change in our society, or if it fizzles out and goes back to the way things were. And I'm not sure which one is scarier.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

If it starts carrying over into the suburbs it's going to

Jun 1, 2020, 10:44 AM

get ugly fast IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it starts carrying over into the suburbs it's going to

Jun 1, 2020, 10:52 AM

Especially in Castle Doctrine States, just saying do not cross my property line with bad intent.

You can protest all you want but the rioting, looting and arson is not gonna carry to my home. Alt Right, Antifa all look the same in the reticle, targets.

The cops get put in jail and charged with murder

Jun 1, 2020, 10:27 AM

I mean what else do you want? North Charleston cop was convicted. This guy in Minneapolis will be convicted. We already have laws to deal with these things. SC highway patrolman was fired for being stupid. Think he was charged with something even though the guy didn't die.

One thing that may help is having foot restraints be as standard as hand restraints. So the guy tried to run, fine. Bind his feet and hands and leave him alone while transport arrives. That's what they SHOULD have done. Zip-tie his feet, leave him sitting on the curb and when transport arrives, haul him off.

Guy was busted buying stuff with a fake $20. What would be the remedy? Allow people to print their own money?

But seriously, foot restraints would help a lot. Once you get the hands and feet immobilized, there's no need to have a bunch of people holding someone down.

As for the protesters, there is no solution for most of them except an overthrow of the government. That's the real purpose. CNN found some guy who spilled the beans on that one among the "protesters". The anti-capitalists are out there, and they will latch onto anything that further's their agenda to topple capitalism in the US, and our government. They hijacked the environmental movement. They've hijacked this one as well. ANTIFA, those types are the ones inciting the violence and riots. They've been around forever. Even in the 60's, when protests were real, they tried to hijack those as well.

If you want to back way up, and look at the big, big picture, we're seeing the last nail being driven home in coffin of the Enlightenment Movement. Same movement created both the French and American revolutions. One was a stunning success. The other was carnage that led to more carnage. Now is a good time to remind ourselves why one experiment failed miserably while the other succeeded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feet bindings make sense

Jun 1, 2020, 10:32 AM

But good luck trying to convince the loonies that its not similar to slavery having your hands and feet in chains.

Better than a knee to the neck.***

Jun 1, 2020, 10:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I think what they ultimately want is...

Jun 1, 2020, 10:44 AM [ in reply to The cops get put in jail and charged with murder ]

It to simply stop happening.

Let's also not forget that if it wasn't for video evidence, these cops likely walk. Walter Scott shooting probably gets covered up if a citizen doesn't video it (remember how the cop tried to plant the tazer on him?). In 2003, the North Charleston police shot and killed a man in front of dozens of witnesses in broad daylight and pushed a narrative contradictory to those witnesses. SLED sided with the police.

Even Eric Garner's cops got off. And that case in Georgia (I know, not police), they would have let those rednecks walk if it wasn't for video.

The cop that shot the guy in Simpsonville was cleared, even

Jun 1, 2020, 10:54 AM

after it was shown he lied about what happened. Not only that, he had previously shot a couple of dogs and another person.

Cop that shot Zach Hammond kept his job for another year after that, obviously was also cleared.

Another case here in Greenville where there was a report of a guy shoplifting some beer from a gas station. Officer ended up shooting that guys mom in her home after she escalated the situation and lost her gun in the ensuing struggle. After a little bit of counseling she was cleared to resume normal duties.

Over and over and over again they investigate and clear themselves. People are aware of it, and they don't like it. Unfortunately, we have to be idiots and make it a racial issue instead of everyone coalescing and realizing we all have a police culture problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In our state, SLED has been a big problem.

Jun 1, 2020, 11:07 AM

Without solid video evidence (and even then it's suspect), SLED tends to quickly clear officers in questionable shootings.

I'll even cite another bad case in 2003: The murder of Molly Wrazen, fiancee of a Mt. Pleasant undercover officer. She was found shot to death in his apartment after she went to go break up with him, clear out her stuff, and move to Florida. It was set up to look like a suicide, even though the second shot (she was shot in the chest) from the .22 misfired, and there was no gun residue on her hand. And she was terrified of guns. SLED quickly ruled it as such and even let MPPD in the apartment to mess around.

The coroner had to reopen the case and rule it a homicide, but by then, it was too late to gather good evidence.

That officer is now a lieutenant with the MPPD and is head of the SWAT team.

If you have time, Google it and read up on the case. It will infuriate you.

These problems are far greater than racial implications, although I do think that is a problem as well.

Daniel Shaver was murdered buy a cop in Mesa Arizona.

Jun 1, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to The cop that shot the guy in Simpsonville was cleared, even ]

and the cop is now on a lifetime pension from the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

And that video could not have been more damning***

Jun 1, 2020, 11:19 AM

3 people yelling at the guy, and cop just starts shooting***

Jun 1, 2020, 11:21 AM

Re: At the end of these protests and riots

Jun 1, 2020, 10:43 AM

"A black man is killed by police" is rare

need to work on black on black violence first

"According to 2014 FBI data, 90% of African-American homicides were committed by African Americans."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/07/27/why-doesnt-black-lives-matter-doesnt-focus-talk-about-black-black-crime/87609692/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A flashback video from 28 years ago

Jun 1, 2020, 11:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeACASJViT8

Progressive cities, progressive leaders, progressive...

Jun 1, 2020, 7:59 PM

chiefs of police all due to the cities being packed with progressive people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Call Denzel... He'll punish the guilty.***

Jun 1, 2020, 8:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 847
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic