Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier booing at the Natty.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 3,771

Spurrier booing at the Natty.

Jan 27, 2017, 12:03 AM

I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this, but I was kind of embarrassed by it. The man is a legend, I know he was a coot but he proved where his heart really lied when he left USuC. I dismiss all the comments he made as just pandering to his fanbase. From what I understand, he and Dabo are close friends, and I won't ever forget the story of when he called Dabo to give condolences and words of encouragement to him after a bad loss, the same weekend they had had a bad loss. I really think the man gets a bad rap from us Clemson fans and I feel the booing at the Natty was classless. Let bygones by bygones. Clemson is better than that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah..I cringed a bit when I heard them boo as he walked out to coin toss

Jan 27, 2017, 12:10 AM

But he sorta smiled & kept on walking but I know it had to be a little awkward.. But again he knows what went down over 5-7 years with Clemson and knew it was coming!

All in all it was wasn't dirty or over the norm mean-spirited, IMHO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier booing at the Natty.

Jan 27, 2017, 12:11 AM

While I agree that it is (was) not a class thing to do, it was also not just Clemson fans booing (I believe).

Further, what was the rationale for bringing two former players (and coach) with NO connection to either school? (well, other than they played in the same conference as Alabama - which is a stretch).

Personally, Spurrier acted like a knucklehead towards most opponents during his 'career', and that wasn't very classy, either.... reap what you sow, perhaps?

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

This post is a joke, right?

Jan 27, 2017, 12:14 AM

It's sports. Stop taking it so seriously, you sound like a tool. He was Clemson's rival for years and stuck it to Clemson every chance he got. What did you expect? Clemson fans were not booing an American casualty of war-- they were booing a freaking football coach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booing a 70 year old man, that did a lot for the sport

Jan 27, 2017, 12:51 AM

Whether you liked him or not. Give em break. Like I said before, he pandered to his fanbase. Behind closed doors he was nothing but respectful to Dabo and Clemson. The phone call proves that, and I will always remember that. Plus, he single handily ran our rival into the ground... respect.

Re: Booing a 70 year old man, that did a lot for the sport

Jan 27, 2017, 1:04 AM

Get out of here with that garbage. Oh, because he was polite to Dabo behind closed doors but an absolute jackal in public the fans should have bowed to him? Give me a break.

i never said bow to him... just show some respect.

Jan 27, 2017, 1:26 AM

This is Clemson... not USuC.

Re: i never said bow to him... just show some respect.

Jan 27, 2017, 6:16 AM

https://vimeo.com/33991795

And if you don't think losing to USuC 5 in a row

Jan 27, 2017, 1:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Booing a 70 year old man, that did a lot for the sport ]

didn't light a fire under our ###, then you are clueless. USuC's streak and WV orange bowl is what woke this sleeping giant. I'm thankful for those low times. I'm thanking for all those TB and West years too. they make the high times oh so much sweeter. You can't deny that. I became a tiger fan in the 90's... never waivered. Did I think we'd ever win another Natty at Clemson? TBH, no, not in my lifetime. But here we are. Those that doubted us and spoke poorly of us... they had as much to do with our success as anything imo. You can only poke the bear so many times.

With your logic....

Jan 27, 2017, 7:34 AM

USUC should have several National Champioships as much as they have been poked and doubted...lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lmao.....Spurrier spent many decades making snide,

Jan 27, 2017, 12:25 AM

detrimental comments about opposing teams and fanbase. He is as widely known for that aspect of his career as he is the hundreds of victories, championship trophies, and the Heisman he won. To think he didn't expect that reaction from both groups of fans is naive....He even said afterwards he anticipated that reaction from the crowd.

Spurrier made himself into a polarizing figure using tactics similar to those in pro "wrestling"

He probably laughs at those waxing sentimental about his feelings being hurt.....And then tees up at his country club

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Spurrier enjoyed it

Jan 27, 2017, 12:36 AM

And I'm a big Spurrier fan having been raised a Gator.

I didn't agree with it, but I understand why ithe booing happened. SOS can dish it out and he can take it.

Its all part of the show.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

welp, there goes my %100, still think is classless.

Jan 27, 2017, 12:40 AM

I love Clemson, but Spurrier is a HOF coach who I truly believe had nothing against Clemson. Like I said he was pandering to his fan base which I can't blame any coach for doing. To each there own. College football is greater for having players/coaches like him and I commend him for it. He whipped our ### a few years but that's all. We got our revenge, and having him in person to witness the greatest Clemson comeback off time and win a national championship has got to have some weight to it. Even after the game, in interviews, he defended Clemson and gave us all the credit we deserved.

Steve didn't do jack to us. The media and fans create

Jan 27, 2017, 1:19 AM

this B.S. perception of modern head-coaching, head-coach vs head-coach, etc., like it's the old days, when it really is the players who put in the work and actually win and lose ball games, and the assistants who do the prep and details.

I absolutely do agree with you on the classless booing, hands down though.

I sometimes enjoyed Steve's heel antics, but in all honesty, he was living off his laurels for well over a decade, got attention from the media for being an old SEC coach, and is a bit overrated imo. In the end, he really wanted to win more conference titles and be a contender, rather than just win some pointless rivalry.

We won with the big hand by taking the time to build things the right way. Hope we cherish it and don't take it for granted.

Re: Steve didn't do jack to us. The media and fans create

Jan 27, 2017, 7:14 AM

If your were in the staduim about 30 minutes before kickoff the people MCing the in staduim activities made a final picks before the signed off and turned over everything to the national broadcast. Everyone involved in the pre game made a pick. Whe it got to Spurrier he refused to pick, which really impressed me. Steve is friends with Dabo and I think he admirers the Clemson program what they have accomplished. He wasn't going to pick against us, just to be an SEC homer. I think it was a classy move.

Steve had made jabs about Saban as I recall.

Jan 27, 2017, 1:03 PM

He knows that Saban's success has been about the depth of top recruits he had, and may have been a little jealous.

HOF Coach & HOF j@ck@$$

Jan 27, 2017, 7:29 AM [ in reply to welp, there goes my %100, still think is classless. ]

He may have won and he may have driven interest but I see what the WWE is... soap opera drama for rednecks, rubber necking at a wreck on side of the road, a side show.

He also was quick to throw coaches and playersunder the bus for a loss or reason for losing. The man did not show much class as a coach.

He was a petulant childish coach. If he got booed, then oh well. Act like an @$$ generates @$$like reactions.

Let me give it to you like this..

Jan 27, 2017, 1:40 AM

Over the 1990s and 2000s, I could not stand the Seminoles. I didn't like or dislike the Gamecocks really, I just didn't even pay attention to them. It was pure apathy.. they didn't even matter enough to dislike.
Why? Bc FSU always kicked our butts, and Scar got one every now and then.

Spurrier got the boos because of his success. While I didn't love the booing, its also ironically the best sign of respect he could have received from a stadium of 2 opposing fan bases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The booing wasn't that loud..

Jan 27, 2017, 1:50 AM

Saying..it could have been decibels louder IF fans had wanted it to be.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2017, 1:52 AM

I didn't do it and had the same reaction as you. He was being recognized for his lifetime achievements and not the time or place. Actually, it only highlighted his streak against us IMO but, like the poster above says to get over it, is just sports... Some people weren't raised to think the way we do. I laughed about it but I think it was a poor look for us to be honest. Such if life

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2017, 1:52 AM

I didn't do it and had the same reaction as you. He was being recognized for his lifetime achievements and not the time or place. Actually, it only highlighted his streak against us IMO but, like the poster above says to get over it, is just sports... Some people weren't raised to think the way we do. I laughed about it but I think it was a poor look for us to be honest.

Jan 27, 2017, 1:53 AM

I didn't do it and had the same reaction as you. He was being recognized for his lifetime achievements and not the time or place. Actually, it only highlighted his streak against us IMO but, like the poster above says to get over it, is just sports... Some people weren't raised to think the way we do. I laughed about it but I think it was a poor look for us to be honest.

I was at game where Bama and Clemson sections met

Jan 27, 2017, 2:07 AM

Both fanbases booed Spurrier and Bama fans booed Payton Manning as well. Get over yourself.

Jan 27, 2017, 5:22 AM

probably has more to do with all those flea flickers he called when up's 6 TD during his stint at UF.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both teams were booing - no doubt. Reap what you sow,

Jan 27, 2017, 6:38 AM

SOS.

It is EASY to be anything behind closed doors.

CDS has his fan base doing anything he asks and more and HE doesn't pander to us - he is kind & respectful & well spoken out in the open AND behind closed doors.

Spurrier can't be a belligerent, petulant child and expect to get treated with respect when it suits him.

Sorry you can't see that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 27, 2017, 7:13 AM

Yep, you're going to get booed for it.

Spurrier is a legend. Nationally and in Florida he was much lauded for his playing and play calling.

But Spurrier was and is a huge jerk. He routinely and regularly insulted fellow coaches and opposing teams. He regularly and routinely mocked and was rude to boosters of his programs and fans of the schools where he coached. He often lied about a host of NCAA violations that took place on his watch as if he had no knowledge of the transgressions and bore no reponsibility for them. He quit Florida for no apparent reason, failed a pro coach and walked away from South Carolina when the damage his laziness caused became apparent. He put two of his sons on the South Carolina payroll in an open and contemptible display of nepotism. And Spurrier is an attention #####. He won the Hiesman Trophy, a national championship and could be dignified in his 'retirement' but instead seeks out any and every chance he gets for radio or TV face time doing all sorts of self agrandizing bits.

Every fan base in the SEC hated his guts for his conduct when he was coaching. I was proud of the honest boos he got in the title game. On the field for the coin toss of his most recent rival's National Title game? Are you kidding me?

If you were embarrassed by the booing, you are in the minority. #### right he was booed.

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all have roles, and Spurrier plays the role of villan.

Jan 27, 2017, 7:18 AM

Being booed is part of that. And remember, he chose that role, embraced it even, so the crowd response should come as no surprise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you're not hated you're doing something wrong.***

Jan 27, 2017, 7:21 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

If roles were reversed Dabo

Jan 27, 2017, 7:22 AM

Would by booed .they committee should have known better. Having said that I agree with you

Re: If roles were reversed Dabo

Jan 27, 2017, 9:31 AM

Was it the committee or espn that invited Spurrier and Peyton? Was'nt Danny elected into the same HOF recently? I'm sure a bammer HOFer could have been found.

Jan 27, 2017, 7:23 AM

uh it wasnt only clemson fans booing the sack.

Jan 27, 2017, 7:42 AM

He deserved it, and it's sports get over it.

Jan 27, 2017, 8:56 AM

QUITTERS GET BOOED. PERIOD.

Booing from an opponent fanbase is

Jan 27, 2017, 8:33 AM

like cheering to your ears.

Considering the fan bases involved in the game, what

Jan 27, 2017, 9:00 AM

surprised me more was the presentation being made at the game.

Seems like a more fitting and, perhaps, less controversial ceremony could have been simply made in some facility off the field.

Regardless, I doubt Coach Spurrier was too rattled, considering the crowd.

He's a legendary POS.

Jan 27, 2017, 9:34 AM

He is one of the most vile men who ever coached football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOO!

Jan 27, 2017, 9:38 AM

Alabama fans were booing!

You can let it go.

Who in the wide wide world of sports

Jan 27, 2017, 9:59 AM

thought that was a good idea!? ...bringing in the head coach of our rival!?

Jan 27, 2017, 10:03 AM

That was the Bama fans booing... obviously.

Spurrier is a guy that I loved to hate. He has way too

Jan 27, 2017, 10:04 AM

much charisma to be totally unlikable. I wouldn't have booed him at the game if I was there, but I can understand why some Clemson fans would want to. I am inclined to think that he really isn't our "enemy" anymore.

I actually met him in a hotel lobby in Charleston and I told him that I couldn't stand his team, but I respected the #### out of him as a coach. He replied: "Well thank you, son" and he shuffled away with Bobbie up to his hotel room.

Bad planning walking out Manning from Tn &

Jan 27, 2017, 1:05 PM

Slurrier from USCjr in front of a Bama/Clemson audience.

Replies: 40
| visibility 3,771
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic