Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The best info I've seen concerning CoVid 19 from leading
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The best info I've seen concerning CoVid 19 from leading

Mar 13, 2020, 10:27 AM

infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm. The 1st clip is about coronavirus the 2nd is the full interview...very long interview but fascinating

<###### width="916" height="515" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/cZFhjMQrVts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

<###### width="916" height="515" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/E3URhJx0NSw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know, I hope he doesnt know and what he does know

Mar 13, 2020, 11:24 AM

I hope is the "Worst Case Scenario"....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Michael Osterholm (PhD) has written 2 books warning us of

Mar 13, 2020, 3:29 PM

a viral apocalypse so I wouldn't exactly call him an unbiased observer. I'm not saying he is trying to purposefully mislead anyone (I think his intentions are honest) but sometimes when a person works in a world of doom and gloom it's hard not to be jaded and possibly see lions when it's really kitty cats. Instead, I would take his comments as an informed opinion but remain somewhat skeptical of his doom and gloom numbers.

At this point, I have hard time believing we will see a million dead in the USA - this virus just hasn't proven to be that fatal and unless it becomes an epidemic in the old folks homes throughout the USA, 97% or more of the folks that get it are going to recover from it. I guess I'll start giving some of his predictions a little more credence if we end up with more infections and deaths than China but for now I'll stick with listening to Dr. Fauci and the pros at the CDC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Michael Osterholm (PhD) has written 2 books warning us of

Mar 13, 2020, 3:34 PM

“ Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity have been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus. “It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable. The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress. “It would be nice if the office was still there.”

Mar 13, 2020, 3:40 PM

WTSherman said:

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable.

I've seen both of these claims numerous times but not by reputable sources. Could you please provide the source of these claims so I can read about it.

The other stuff about Trump not listening early to the advice of the experts and blowing his gaskets at said experts over this thing is pure partisan bunk. Just this morning Dr. Fauci praised the Administrations early actions and ongoing actions which Dr. Fauci himself credits with reducing the impact of this disease. See for yourself at the 11:48 mark in the following Fauci interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Co5T7F16E

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The stuff about the researchers in Seattle is true HOWEVER

Mar 13, 2020, 4:50 PM

there's also a huge caveat there. They were doing an influenza study and had collected samples from a large number of volunteers that either had the flu or at least had flu-like symptoms (I don't recall this part). The doctors leading this study realized they had the perfect samples to test for coronavirus since the symptoms are often very similar to the flu and requested permission to test them to see if there was already community spread of coronavirus in the Seattle area. The problem is that they did not have consent from any of these people to test for coronavirus, only to conduct an influenza study. Their request to test these samples was therefore denied on ethical and legal grounds.

That's my understanding of the situation at least.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Michael Osterholm (PhD) has written 2 books warning us of ]

Looks like the Bernie supporters have showed up. And using every opportunity to spread lies and gain an advantage. About as pathetic as it gets.

LOL Bernie can't even

Mar 14, 2020, 11:26 AM

beat Joe "Vote for the other Biden" Biden.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2020, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Michael Osterholm (PhD) has written 2 books warning us of ]

"97% or more of the folks that get it are going to recover from it." 3% of the population is a bit over 9 million people. That would be a loss of catastrophic proportions.

Mar 14, 2020, 4:06 AM

Your ridiculous number of 9 million dead is based on all 300 million Americans getting this disease. That ain't gonna happen and quite frankly the death rate is a LOT lower than 3% for those under 70 years of age. In fact no one under the age of 67 has died in the USA - not to say it won't eventually happen but in order to reach these apocalyptic numbers that are being bandied about it would require a lot higher mortality rate in the middle age and younger crowd.

Doom and gloom prophets like Michael Osterholm can't have it both ways. In one breath they tell us this thing is killing at a 3% or more rate; yet they also tell us this thing spreads at an astronomical rate of 3.8 people per infected person. If the latter is true, then there are a lot more infected people than what is being tracked by the CDC and yet we aren't seeing some corresponding 3% increase in deaths among the general population. One of the two numbers (if not both) is off because while we may not know how many people have been infected, we do know when somebody dies and we haven't seen some unexplained death spike in this country.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Just last night the Governor of Ohio along with his health expert predicted they actually have or have had some 100,000 cases of COVID-19 in Ohio with that number doubling every six days. If that is true, then the death rate is a lot lower than 3% otherwise Ohio would see an alarming spike in their average death rate by some 3000 people - which has not happened.

My guess is that we will eventually find the overall mortality rate in the USA is well below 3%. If you are over 70 and have health issues - it'll be a lot higher than 3% but for all other age groups quite a bit lower.

Mar 14, 2020, 8:15 AM

Without everyone being tested, there are no accurate numbers on how many U.S. citizens are infected resultng in unknown spreading of the virus. IMO, the number infected in the U.S. is 4 or 5 times higher than being reported.

If half the U.S. population gets the virus and even at a 0.5 percent (not 5% but half a percent), the death toll will approach a million citizens. Not unrealistic since about 75M of the population are "Baby Boomers".

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/iran-coro

Mar 13, 2020, 5:52 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/iran-coronavirus-outbreak-graves/

Re: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/iran-coro

Mar 13, 2020, 9:56 PM

Iranian population is relatively young, but I'm guessing they don't have world class medical care or a ton of ventilators.

Mar 13, 2020, 11:49 PM

Also The Iranian regime kills many of their own and I bet those graves have more of the murdered than the sick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 3:34 AM

Do you notice there are no reports of this from North Korea. Their isolation is a bullet in the ear.

The problem with North Korea is that they have such total

Mar 14, 2020, 4:14 AM

control over information that it is virtually impossible to know what is really going on in rocket man's crazy kingdom. Even the Chinese are jealous of how tight a lid the North Koreans can put on keeping information from getting out.

heh

Mar 14, 2020, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/iran-coro ]

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic