Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The best defensive line isn't in the SEC - ESPN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 3,212

The best defensive line isn't in the SEC - ESPN

Oct 10, 2017, 5:02 PM

The best defensive line isn't in the SEC

Link: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20969921/washington-state-cougars-year-running-back-biggest-surprises-2017

Sorry, SEC. Your claim to fame has always been speed and trench warfare, but right now, it's Clemson that has the nation's best defensive front.

(Braces ears for thunderous "A-C-C!" chants)

Left to right, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant and Christian Wilkins headline Clemson's fearsome defensive front. Mike Comer/Getty Images
Clemson's line has accounted for a Power 5-best 65.9 percent of the Tigers' sacks (14.5 of 22). Defensive end Austin Bryant is tied for second in the ACC with five sacks and 10.5 TFLs, but this entire line gives opposing offenses a migraine.

Clemson is tied for first nationally with 16 sacks when the Tigers don't blitz, 10.5 of which have come from defensive linemen, which is best in Power 5, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Four of the Tigers' sacks when they do blitz have come from linemen.

Quarterbacks have a QBR of 18 when Clemson doesn't blitz. When under duress without a Clemson blitz, quarterbacks have completed 7 of 32 passes for 79 yards. Teams are also rushing for zero or negative yards 29 percent of the time against Clemson.

You would think Alabama would maintain the SEC's reputation as having the nation's best defensive line. The numbers aren't that much different, but Clemson has the statistical edge.

Eight of Alabama's 14 sacks have come from defensive linemen, led by Raekwon Davis with three, which is ranked 13th in Power 5. Seven of them have come when Alabama doesn't blitz (10th in Power 5). When under duress without a blitz, Alabama's opponents have completed 13 of 35 passes for 178 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions.

The Tide are better at stopping the run (2.57 yards per carry vs. 2.82 yards per carry for Clemson), but when you add the way Clemson's defensive line has fared against the pass, the Tigers top the Tide once again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scary thought...

Oct 10, 2017, 5:38 PM

The defensive line is as nasty as anything to come across the last 5-6 years in college football.

Imagine, however, if Yeargin didn't get hurt and Pagano didn't transfer. I saw both as first off the bench, behind our starters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The best defensive line isn't in the SEC - ESPN

Oct 10, 2017, 6:05 PM

In other news - ESPN discovered the sun today.

Shhh ... Don't tell them about Dexter Lawrence***

Oct 10, 2017, 9:07 PM

Re: The best defensive line isn't in the SEC - ESPN

Oct 11, 2017, 2:05 PM

I would put Clemson’s D-line coached by the best DC in college football BV against Bama, Washington State or any other school in college football. When they are at peak performance there are none better. They remind me of the 1972 Miami Dolphins D-line.

We are never going to get our due from ESPN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 3,212
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic