Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fauci on masks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Fauci on masks

Apr 29, 2020, 10:21 AM

weird enough. couldnt track this down on google some reason, even though i just saw video of him saying they were ineffective for non-sick. Had to go to Bing to find it.
Again, not an anti-Fauci guy, but dude flat out lied to the public and probably cost lives.

The only people who need masks are those who are already infected to keep from exposing others. The masks sold at drugstores aren't even good enough to truly protect anyone, Fauci said.

"If you look at the masks that you buy in a drug store, the leakage around that doesn't really do much to protect you," he said. "People start saying, 'Should I start wearing a mask?' Now, in the United States, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear a mask."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I did get some help on that from Tiggity below,

Apr 29, 2020, 10:26 AM

and I'll say here what I said there. I don't view those as necessarily contradictory statements. I think it's still true that "drug-store" type masks aren't highly effective, because of the leakage he talked about. But now that community transmission is occurring, it's more of an "every little bit helps" kind of thing. Plus, there's not much risk to wearing a home-made or "drug-store" mask. So, nothing to lose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is false

Apr 29, 2020, 10:33 AM

first of all, he also said this: The only people who need masks are those who are already infected to keep from exposing others

Second, they are now saying to wear any type of mask, even homemade ones. So now they are effective?

Again, even a 2nd grader knows, covering your nose and mouth is more effective than nothing. To say otherwise is a total lie

You are so disingenuous. Again, its like talking to a 2 yr old.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that is false

Apr 29, 2020, 10:37 AM

The first statement could have been true at the time, but not true now. Like, at that time, only people who were already infected need masks, because at that time, it wasn't confirmed there was large-scale community transmission.

Also, in his first statement, he said "doesn't really do much to protect you". That doesn't mean it does absolutely zero. Let's say a home-made mask is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 in effectiveness. So, "it doesn't do much"...it's a "1". But now, even the "1," we'll take it. Like, every little bit can help.

As always, ignoring the ad hominem. Enjoying the discussion otherwise, and I appreciate it.

that statement is NEVER true

Apr 29, 2020, 10:40 AM

covering your face is always more effective than not covering it.

good lord, again, a 2nd grader knows this.

Dr. Fauci never said that

Apr 29, 2020, 10:43 AM

covering your face is not more effective than not covering your face. Unless I'm missing quote somewhere.

he said the only people that need masks are the sick

Apr 29, 2020, 10:47 AM

he said no one else needs masks, back then. He had to backtrack and say hey, wear a mask now.

stop with 2 yr old posts. your are not stupid, stop acting like it

Sir, it is not the trait of a "2-year-old"

Apr 29, 2020, 10:49 AM

to not read into statements something that isn't there. I'm attempting to take Dr. Fauci's words at face value, and not read something sinister into them, because I trust him and his decades of work for our country.

I am not saying he didn't backtrack. He obviously did. But that is not the same thing as lying.

Re: Sir, it is not the trait of a "2-year-old"

Apr 29, 2020, 10:53 AM

it is really simple prod, Fauci and the president do not see eye to eye so he has been shelved. Fox news and radio hosts are laying into him, and old Xtiger here is parroting what someone else told him to think. There will be no talking himoff this ledge until Hannity says it is Ok to come down.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they don't see eye to eye...

Apr 29, 2020, 10:56 AM

I wouldn't expect them to on everything. But last I heard, the President praised Dr. Fauci and his work, and I am certain he is strongly factoring his counsel into his decisions.

NBC

Apr 29, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Sir, it is not the trait of a "2-year-old" ]

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-coronavirus-response-questioned-daily-dr-fauci-dr-birx-ncna1192266

Kim Woo-joo, a professor of infectious diseases at Korea University College of Medicine, said mask-wearing by nearly everyone in South Korea was one of the reasons the country has had a relatively low rate of infection.

"Why else would doctors in hospitals wear masks?" Kim asked rhetorically. "They wear them because they prevent infection."

Similarly, the Czech Republic, which had a significantly lower rate of infection compared to fellow European countries such as Spain and Italy, produced a video advising all other countries to "implement population-wide use of face masks, even homemade ones." Adam Vojt?ch, the Czech health minister, stated, "Today we see this was one of the most important decisions we have made, and if it helped here, it can help anywhere."

Why were top U.S. public health officials telling Americans otherwise?

"I did read [the surgeon general's] tweet and you have to understand the context," Kim told Asian Boss. "I think the point was to prevent people from hoarding masks because medical professionals need them more. ... In other words, because masks are in short supply in the U.S., medical professionals should be prioritized."

I really appreciate your commitment to the bit.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:40 AM

NOBODY'S OPINION IS ALLOWED TO CHANGE AS NEW INFORMATION IS PRESENTED!!!!!!

It honestly explains a lot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please explain what new info was discovered that

Apr 29, 2020, 10:44 AM

says, hey covering your face with nothing is more effective than covering it with a mask?

I dont care if its a cold, flu, CV, or even boogers. Covering your face with something will always be, at least a little bit safer (not 100%), than NOT covering your face.

I can't believe we're even debating this. my 8 yr old son would know this.

When did you start wearing a mask?

Apr 29, 2020, 10:46 AM

Did your 8 year old son wear one since before they were reccommended?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not going to explain it to you

Apr 29, 2020, 10:52 AM [ in reply to please explain what new info was discovered that ]

cause I'm assuming you already know the answer and just don't care.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/10/829890635/why-there-so-many-different-guidelines-for-face-masks-for-the-public

New information is only presented as necessary.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I really appreciate your commitment to the bit. ]

It's no different the world over.

If it's good news, it's new information asap. If bad news, sit on it until you can't deny it any longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is all still true.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:48 AM

People aren't advised to wear masks to protect themselves. It's to prevent spreading COVID to others.

An actual reversal would be, "Hey on second thought everyone go buy an N95 mask or those masks at the drug store in order to avoid contracting coronavirus."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This^

Apr 29, 2020, 10:52 AM

i started wearing a mask while out because with so many believed to have been infected but asymptomatic how could i be sure that i wasn't walking around with the thing?

then why do doctors wear masks again?

Apr 29, 2020, 10:55 AM [ in reply to That is all still true. ]

Kim Woo-joo, a professor of infectious diseases at Korea University College of Medicine, said mask-wearing by nearly everyone in South Korea was one of the reasons the country has had a relatively low rate of infection.

"Why else would doctors in hospitals wear masks?" Kim asked rhetorically. "They wear them because they prevent infection."

Similarly, the Czech Republic, which had a significantly lower rate of infection compared to fellow European countries such as Spain and Italy, produced a video advising all other countries to "implement population-wide use of face masks, even homemade ones." Adam Vojt?ch, the Czech health minister, stated, "Today we see this was one of the most important decisions we have made, and if it helped here, it can help anywhere."

Why were top U.S. public health officials telling Americans otherwise?

"I did read [the surgeon general's] tweet and you have to understand the context," Kim told Asian Boss. "I think the point was to prevent people from hoarding masks because medical professionals need them more. ... In other words, because masks are in short supply in the U.S., medical professionals should be prioritized."

NBC

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-coronavirus-response-questioned-daily-dr-fauci-dr-birx-ncna1192266

First, there aren't enough of those masks for everyone in

Apr 29, 2020, 11:05 AM

America.

Second, regular people are way less likely to contract the virus than doctors who are working directly with infected patients all day, so it's a matter of priority.

You have to look at the situation in the vaguest possible terms to think there was lying or stupidity involved here. The argument falls apart the moment you dig deeper than, "First they said no masks and now they say masks."

Message was edited by: Murcielago® because he wrote "they're" instead of "there" and that is unacceptable.

my original post says this

Apr 29, 2020, 11:12 AM

They lied so people wouldnt buy them

But we had the surgeon general tweeting, THEY ARE NOT EFFECTIVE.
But they are effective for doctors.

make sense to me.

Again, I'm not saying they are 100% effective,but MORE effective than nothing. NO? or am I wrong here?

again, little kid would come to this conclusion.

Or are you saying wearing nothing is just as effective as say wearing a cloth homemade mask?

MY original post was, they were lying, so people wouldn't buy up masks, which is your subject headline

For the general public no mask is about as safe as

Apr 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

wearing a mask as long as you're social distancing. Doctors are not social distancing from patients because they can't, so the masks are more effective for them.

It's not a lie to say it's ineffective for regular people who are social distancing. And it was important to say that so people wouldn't buy up all the masks that are needed by the medical community. This is not a contradiction.

So that's one side of the mask issue, the "avoid contracting coronavirus" side. The other side is the "avoid spreading coronavirus" side which is the part where wearing some sort of face covering, not necessarily a medical mask, when you're in public will reduce transmission of the virus to other people.

6 feet apart is the next lie.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:44 AM

Maybe outside with a crosswind on a sunny day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

factor of safety, bro

Apr 29, 2020, 12:09 PM

FOS

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

I loved all the studies saying masks don't help because

Apr 29, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to my original post says this ]

they only catch particles of whatever microns, and covid is smaller.

Fact is they're right. Nothing short of a bio level 4 space suit will 100% protect you from covid sized particles.

BUT, a t-shirt over your mouth catches 25% of them. A surgical mask, 50%. n95 is around 85% or slightly higher. It's like saying seat belts won't prevent people from being killed in auto accidents. Of course they won't, so why wear them? But they will reduce deaths/injuries by 25, 50, 85%. So every car has them and everyone has to use them. Same for air bags. They don't prevent auto deaths. But they help. Couple air bags with seat belts, and they help a lot more. That's why we have 10 times as many cars on the roads today and the same level of auto deaths from the 70's.

Now imagine if economic productivity could increase 25%, 50%, or 85% if EVERYONE WORE MASKS? Humm.....you may find that's the real reason for the change of tune.

EXACTLY my POINT!***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:34 AM

I know. I made it long ago.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:50 AM

Sticking to it. But this isn't Faucci. Don't make that political mistake. This is everyone in the government, and it's been going on for at least a decade or more. Both parties. I learned the truth in 2009 with Swine flu, from my doctor of all people. Same rules recommended and applied then. Same BS. Same reasons.

In fact, I'd argue the lying is causing people more concern than the truth. At least for me.

oh, i know. This original post was in response to Fauci

Apr 29, 2020, 11:55 AM

but all gov officials were saying it.
But I blame Fauci and Surgeon General the most b/c they are supposed to be experts on tv telling everyone this lie.

I said from day 1 that they were lying to us so people wouldn't buy up masks. Thought it would cost lives. Still believe it cost us thousands of lives imo.

but I'm even more baffled by jungers saying

Apr 29, 2020, 11:58 AM

it wasn't a lie and that they dont protect us, even a little, but are meant to protect others.

Yes, its both. How can anyone say it doesnt protect the wearer is beyond me.
New data, doesnt make it just now true. Its always been true.

clarify, not 100% protect, but protect more than not wearing***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:58 AM

They didn't create the lie. They were just the ones

Apr 29, 2020, 12:19 PM [ in reply to oh, i know. This original post was in response to Fauci ]

who finally had to tow it until they couldn't any more. Obama and his CDC director, they all said the same lie. Same reasons too. I mean there's no money to be made in producing masks in the US. Cheaper to farm that out to China where slave labor can make it for pennies to our dollar.

Why do doctors and nurses wear them to treat covid patients

Apr 29, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to That is all still true. ]

then?

I mean there's no need to. Why do they so desperately need masks to protect them from being infected, if masks don't protect them from being infected?

Because they don't stay six feet apart from them.***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:24 AM

Re: Why do doctors and nurses wear them to treat covid patients

Apr 29, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Why do doctors and nurses wear them to treat covid patients ]

This explains why you're out there in a full gown, face shield, and booties.

No, because I don't need PPE as much as doctors***

Apr 29, 2020, 12:14 PM

Re: No, because I don't need PPE as much as doctors***

Apr 29, 2020, 12:41 PM

What is this "as much" you speak of? It either helps or it hurts, nothing in between.

SK infectious disease doctors are laughing at us***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Why do doctors and nurses wear them to treat covid patients ]

The argument that annoyed me was that "wearing a mask

Apr 29, 2020, 12:15 PM

would cause people to touch their face more" and now they are literally saying the opposite. that wearing a mask will help by causing people to touch their face less. that is when I started to realized that we are stuck with a lot people (politicians and otherwise) that are scrambling to stay ahead of this thing and aren't very well organized. that scares me more than anything.

I keep praying that some nerdy person in a lab comes up with a vaccine soon. I'm honestly at that point.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

My fear has always been that they are very well organized.

Apr 29, 2020, 2:07 PM

China bought up all the PPE across the globe leaving our hospital systems with normal supplies which were insufficient for a highly contagious viral outbreak. Naturally they would dismiss the importance of wearing mask to the general public. I'm not justifying the lie but most mask only offer perfect protection to others rather than the wearer.

We have not fared well in the development of vaccines for coronavirus, never had one so it's not likely we will for this one either. Our savior is on the way. Population immunity is our first best hope. Open up and let this run its course while protecting the most vulnerable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like I was a week off on my bet that

Apr 29, 2020, 12:25 PM

Fauci would be canned.

And I love this argument from conservative air heads on radio/tv when a professional gains new information/data and then changes their assessments and advice.

"WELL WHICH IS IT PROFESSOR SMART BRAIN? LAST WEEK YOU SAID X NOW YOU'RE SAYING Y"

To which the professional then tries to make the argument that they have new data, have studied it more and gained new knowledge.

Then the air head interrupts THIS GUY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT, WHY SHOULD WE BELIEVE HIM NOW

You speak of second graders, even my daughter who's in kindergarten understands learning new information and changing what was previously thought before.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Looks like I was a week off on my bet that

Apr 29, 2020, 2:09 PM

Fauci isn't going to be fired. He is being needed less since his plan is on the table. He will crawl back under the bureaucratic rock from whence he came.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Xtiger was slow to jump on the Fauci hate train

Apr 29, 2020, 3:20 PM

Glad to see you followed along after the crazies subscribed first. I can now use MemphisCat as a leading indicator, then two weeks later see the same from the rest of this board

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not on Fauci hate train at all

Apr 29, 2020, 3:45 PM

maybe you missed the other threads. I just mentioned his big missteps.
But in no way am I dogging him but he did LIE on masks. bold faced lie.

But I aint on the fire Fauci train at all.

When you strike at a nail, miss and put a 'petertrack,' on..

Apr 29, 2020, 3:21 PM

a piece of trim do you blame the hammer? Is it really the hammer's fault? Trump has used Fauci to do his dirty work here. I know, I love Trump so libs/dems/nevertrumpers can dismiss me as a Trump worshiping roobie or some such nonsense.

Trump shut down travel from China on Jan 31. I caught flack from Ineligibleuser over saying it too many time. Welcome to the facts friends. Trump knew this was coming and he knew due to warning from those medical professionals in the bureaus. Either Fauci was Trump's tool or Trump was Fauci/CDC/FDA's tool to help prevent the increased demand for mask that healthcare professionals would need. Either way we got hosed by this administration.

The reason was that the primary fear with the healthcare system being overwhelmed by virus patients. We were told not to report to hospitals, doctors offices and clinics until we had a nonproductive cough, trouble breathing and a fever of 103.x, 'X,' being something indicating a temp of 103.0 isn't high enough. This is the first illness in history for which early detection and treatment wasn't recommended. Really, they wanted people to be ready to die before we could see a doctor?

We could say Fauci/Brix and the bureaucrats are doing this. Or we can face the facts. Trump is managing all of this and has predicted a favorable outcome in Nov because of this. Joe, being the weakest of all in the primary only makes Trump easier and more effective.

Don't get the kneejerks. I'll still support Trump. He's just following Saul Alinsky's rules for radicals and not letting a good crisis go to waste. It's just politics.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic