Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
baptist affiliation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,020

baptist affiliation

Apr 21, 2014, 9:10 PM

if this whole thing would have happened a few years ago we may have been able to convince the Baptist organization here in s.c. to give us their affiliation when they took it away from furman and gave it to north Greenville.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Define "baptist". It's important.***

Apr 21, 2014, 9:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Somebody get bob oxygen while we wait - he's about to

Apr 21, 2014, 9:12 PM

burst in anticipation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I think he's giving ibwg oxygen right now, lifeguard style.***

Apr 21, 2014, 9:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I think he's giving ibwg oxygen right now, lifeguard style.***

Apr 21, 2014, 10:21 PM

In speedo? Or on da mouf? I has a confuse

This will be much easier if you just lay back.

Apr 21, 2014, 10:34 PM

Signed,
bob

Re: Define "baptist". It's important.***

Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Define "baptist". It's important.*** ]

Definition of a "Baptist": a Protestant who doesn't drink in front of other Protestants:)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Got your facts wrong...

Apr 21, 2014, 10:18 PM

Furman board of trustees voted to leave the SC Bapt convention and that affiliation ended in 1991. Baptists didn't take the affiliation away.

North Greenville has always been a SC baptist school, like Anderson and Charledton Southern as well.

No biggie, just a detail.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link ?***

Apr 21, 2014, 10:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Link ?***

Apr 21, 2014, 10:46 PM

Orangelover is correct. However, CSU's alliance to the Baptists is not as strong as it once was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Link ?***

Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 PM

Baptist didn't like furman and the president doing the fu cheer!

The SC Baptist Convention was furious when Furman filed for

Apr 21, 2014, 11:40 PM

divorce, but its been extraordinarily fruitful for Furman.

Re: The SC Baptist Convention was furious when Furman filed for

Apr 21, 2014, 11:59 PM

is that why they tried to cut out the golf program and are in such dire straights for money? they have very little support from the city of Greenville. most all of the graduates are from out of state the last decade and their amount of in-state students has dropped to over half what it was 5 years ago.

Furman's national trajectory since 1991 has been remarkable.

Apr 22, 2014, 8:06 AM

The decrease in in-state students has been by design (much like Davidson's in NC). If you are going to be a national liberal arts college, you by definition need students from across the nation. Furman's 2700 students hail from 46 different states and 50 nations.

Furman has a $600M endowment (compared to Clemson's $500M). They aren't losing sleep over not getting a few nickels and dimes from the SC Baptist Convention.

Leadtiger, if you truly believe that Furman has suffered (as opposed to prospered) since cutting ties with the SC Baptist Convention in 1991, you are living in an alternative universe. That would be like saying Clemson has suffered (rather than prospered) since 1991. Of course, you started this thread with the absurd contention that the SC Baptist convention cut ties with Furman so your grasp on reality is already in question...

Re: Furman's national trajectory since 1991 has been remarkable.

Apr 22, 2014, 8:07 AM

Lead Cocklover doesnt like facts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: The Hollingworth endowment was a big boost to them.***

Apr 22, 2014, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Furman's national trajectory since 1991 has been remarkable. ]

Um, serious colleges and universities aren't signing up

Apr 21, 2014, 11:38 PM

for denominational oversight. They are doing just the opposite. When Furman's trustees voted to disaffiliate with the SC Baptist Convention, they were simply following Wake Forest's lead. Duke and Emory did the same thing with the Methodists as did Davidson with the Presbyterians.

As the SC General Assembly continues to foot less and less of the bill in Clemson's rise toward becoming one of the top universities nationally, I could see a scenario in which Clemson could end up going private just as it reaches its goal to become a Top 20 public university. I hope that doesn't happen, but it could. That said, there is no chance that Clemson would ever sign up to be affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention or for any other denominational oversight.

I'd be very shocked if Clemson ever went private

Apr 22, 2014, 7:13 AM

They would have a very hard time trying to work around Thomas Clemson's will. He tied the university very closely to the public life of the state.

I think it would be very unlikely but

Apr 22, 2014, 7:49 AM

There are several models out there - Cornell performs public service activities for the State of New York; Pitt is essentially a private/public venture. As I said, I hope it doesn't happen, but if Clemson moves toward privatization it will be because the General Assembly forced its hand.

Re: Um, serious colleges and universities aren't signing up

Apr 22, 2014, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Um, serious colleges and universities aren't signing up ]

w/ the Baptist money, came designated spots on the Board, which prevents you from recruiting faculty. Furman followed the path of Wake. i think Baylor has kept their affiliation by only having to appoint a certain # of Baptists to the Board, and the Baptist Convention no longer makes the selections.

As for Clemson going private, I seriously doubt they'll be able to come up w/ all the money to buy the assets (land, buildings, stadiums, etc.) owned by the state.

Re: baptist affiliation

Apr 22, 2014, 8:03 AM

What is this moron #### lover talking about now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Tell 'em leadcoot

Apr 22, 2014, 8:42 AM

smh

We gave North Gville Willy Korn, they give us Baptists?***

Apr 22, 2014, 8:55 AM

do what? furman walked

Apr 22, 2014, 9:11 AM

as did wake and a lot of other formerly baptist-affiliated schools when the right wing "christian" political machine took over the southern baptist convention some 30 years ago..the sbc takeover was the radical right's first successful conquest.

for anybody interested, the book "baptist battles" gives a terrific picture of that initial struggle.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,020
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic