Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Penn State argument I don't want to see
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,294

The Penn State argument I don't want to see

Jul 13, 2012, 2:52 PM

People are talking about whether or not PSU should get the death penalty. One common argument is that if that happens, you're punishing players, students, and fans that had nothing to do with the scandal...

PLEASE SHUT UP, IT'S CALLED LIFE!

What about SMU, didn't that "punish" plenty of people that did nothing wrong? What about the USC penalties that banned them from the postseason because of Reggie Bush? ANY sanction will hurt innocent people. Even losing scholarships hurts people, someone else could have gotten those scholarships but they won't, even though they did nothing wrong.

If you couldn't get punished for doing something because that punishment would hurt innocent people, you would be a lot more willing to cheat or do something wrong. Accountability. Get some.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

settle down beavis.***

Jul 13, 2012, 2:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Lack of institutional control" seems to be an argument.

Jul 13, 2012, 3:12 PM

Seems to me like this whole thing took a lot of institutional control.

Whats next? NCAA going to do sobriety tests at games?***

Jul 13, 2012, 3:14 PM

Get some what? What are we getting? Is there cake?***

Jul 13, 2012, 3:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes because liquor leads to loudness, loudness makes it

Jul 13, 2012, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Whats next? NCAA going to do sobriety tests at games?*** ]

difficult for the visiting team to communicate which puts the home team at a competitive advantage...

obviously the nc2a should regulate liquor intake; it's stare, connecting ####### circles, decisis for the constitutional folk in the crowd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to...

Jul 16, 2012, 11:13 AM

...suffering."

Yoda

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: The Penn State argument I don't want to see

Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 AM

For just a second, take the fact that this is Penn State out of the equation. It is now "Blank" university. Going to school is for educational purposes. You are going to get a degree. What would happen to "Blank" university if this had happened at Marshall, ECU, UNLV, etc.

I realize that football is a tremendous portion of the university atmosphere. The Tigers are a huge portion of my weekends during football/ basketball/ baseball seasons. It is one of the primary reasons that I am a Clemson grad. I also understand that lots of kids go to a university b/c they believe that they can one day play a professional sport, football or otherwise. I am extremely aware of the money/ noteriety/ power sports have in bringing in kids(and their parents money).

The point of this whole thing is that Penn State not only had a lack of control over the situation, THEY CHOSE TO IGNORE WHAT WAS GOING ON. The deplorable lack of responsiblity, the utter disregard for the safety and health of those children, and the complicity of all figures in authority, would lead me to agree that Penn State should get the death penalty if any of those officials were allowed to stay with the university. You might not be able to say that having a football program at a university, especially PSU, is a privelege, but you ### well can say that it is a responsibility of everyone involved, from the coaches to the president, to keep those children safe.

Jul 16, 2012, 7:56 AM

To add a little to that...I don't think PSU simply ignored the situation, they put a lot of effort into concealing it and allowing it to continue. THAT was wrong - and should NOT go unpunished. I'm okay with the death penalty as a way of letting others know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. EVER.

Those same PSU fans would have wanted to fire joepa years ago if this had been revealed years ago, and joepa would not have gotten the prize recruits he needed to compete. PSU would have been a bottom-feeder without good players.

The NCAA is not the FBI. People broke the law, not NCAA

Jul 16, 2012, 10:01 AM

rules.
They don't, and should never have, that sort of power.

The only death penalty being discussed should be for Sandusky.

The pandora's box of nonsense this could open up would make us all sick down the road. Never underestimate the ability of those with some power to be vindictive and selective in their enforcement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 AM

And the death penalty for SMU was wrong as well. NCAA admits to that now in hindsight. Giving PSU the death panalty due to a handful of idiots and criminals keeping something under wraps with no knowledge of it by players, fans, alum, students and 99% of staff is just wrong.

It's called common sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2012, 10:19 AM

It's called tolerance. If NCAA allows this to go unpunished then they have no footing to stand in other cases imo. There has to be a message sent to athletic departments that this will not be tolerated AT ALL. Maybe, if NCAA used the death penalty more often we would not be engulfed in scandal in college football. It will only get worse as the money gets larger.

Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 AM

Probation is plenty. You act like colleges THINK this is ok. They know this is wrong. This was a rare occurence and the likelihood of something like this ever happening again anywhere is very remote. Especially now. Using the death penalty as an "I'll show you" is ridiculous. Giving PSU the DP would be like taking someone's house and firing them from their job because they didn't know their brother/son was a child molester. Punish the brother/son not the family.

If a science professor was caught up in some kind of fraud should a university shut down the sciece department and force all those kids into a major they don't want or out of the college? Or should they get rid of those involved and save the dept?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The Penn State argument I don't want to see ]

common sense isn't so common

It may or may not have been wrong for SMU. You, however, cannot compare what has occured between the two schools. One was cheating for monetary gain, where those affected were schools getting an advantage in recruiting; the other affected peoples lives in such a dramatic way that there is just no comparison. If the school had such a huge disregard for the safety, health and well-being of those involved - in fact, covered up the situation, that there needs to be a tremendous penalty. It needs to set a standard for these heinous crimes and discourage any sort of similar actions for the future.

We are no longer talking about money paid to recruits, tests being forged, or athletic advantage. We are tlaking about childrens lives who were have been completely altered, parents lives altered, and who knows what sort of future implications. As much as I love football, as intrinsic as it is in my life, this is much bigger than the game. Have children some day and TRY to put yourself in the shoes of those parents involved.

The NCAA isn't the police

Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 AM

and really shouldn't get involved in legal matters.

Jul 16, 2012, 11:01 AM

I think the big difference between here and SMU is that their cheating helped them win games, and those who were caught cheating were being punished along with those innocents.

None of the current players or coaches at PSU had anything whatsoever to do with this scandal. The ones who were involved all retired/died/been fired.

Not a single guilty person would be hurt by giving PSU football the death penalty, but it could potentially ruin the lives of plenty of innocent coaches, athletes, and others involved with the program.

The death penalty would just be an empty gesture to appease people like you who are out for blood on the issue.

Additionally

Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 AM

What about the potentially dozens of other sports that rely on football revenue for their very existence? Do you have to cancel the women's tennis season, etc for the year that football is cancelled because you can't afford one without the other?

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,294
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic