Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement

Jun 21, 2012, 12:31 PM

It seems there are lots of people giving Dabo heck for the three losses to USuC and can't look at what he's achieved. I hope these same people weren't happy back in the Bowden era when we were playing mediocre football and beating crappy USuC teams every year.

It seems that while we were just happy beating USuC, they were doing everything they possibly could to create a better program than us. Say what you will about Spurrier, but they did go out and hire their second big name coach. Holtz didn't pan out but it looks like Spurrier did. Point being, they're trying like hell to win. The fact is these past three USuC teams would have probably went .500 or better against the Bowden teams.

Now,I believe we have gotten our bell rung and are about to come back with a vengeance like they've never seen before. I trust Dabo and a top notch staff along with some serious talent to take us to where we belong.

Just my .02 worth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Obama put you up to say that?***

Jun 21, 2012, 12:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Obama put you up to say that?***

Jun 22, 2012, 6:15 AM

Ahhh, the old blame it on the previous administration trick.

Re: The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement

Jun 21, 2012, 1:03 PM

Say what you want but TB owned the coots. I don't get your point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jun 21, 2012, 1:04 PM

The 1st loss to the coots was 2 seasons removed from TB....horrible argument there bud....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo was on the staff and the main recruiter under Bowden.

Jun 21, 2012, 1:09 PM

Bowden was 7-2 against SCAR. Firing Bowden in the middle of the season killed recruiting that year. We signed 12 remember? That is what has hurt us verses SCAR the past three years.

Re: Dabo was on the staff and the main recruiter under Bowden.

Jun 21, 2012, 3:16 PM

And yet Clemson brought in the #13 class for 2006 and the 2nd-ranked class for 2008, per ESPN....even the 2007 class was a top-20 class. The 2009 class - the small one you mention above - would all be true freshmen for the first of the 3 losses, and true sophs or RS-freshmen for the 2nd one.

The roster was stocked with talent from those earlier 3 classes when the 3-game streak was begun, and most of those players were the leaders and main contributors to your teams in those years, not those from the '09 cycle. That small class had very little to do with it...

Now, they may have had a role with last season's loss, and may have a role this season: members of the '09 class will be true seniors or 4th-yr juniors this season.

IMO the biggest issue with CU during this past 3 games involve the interior lines: in 2009, CU brought in Goodman, who is the only DL from that class who will have an impact on this season. Shatley was a DL, but now is an OL. Jay is no longer on the team but Thomas is projected as a starter. That's 3 OL/DL recruits from the '09 class that are projected starters, as many as from any other class before or after that one...

Jun 21, 2012, 1:21 PM

I hope that Dabo doesn't make Morris let up when he starts stomping on the coots throat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^this

Jun 21, 2012, 1:28 PM

Instead of Todd Ellis saying "TD Chad Jasmin" I hope we'll be hearing "TD Sammy Watkins"....7 times

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what was Tommy's record against SC as head coach?***

Jun 21, 2012, 1:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what was Tommy's record against SC as head coach?***

Jun 21, 2012, 1:34 PM

6-1 I think

7 & 2***

Jun 21, 2012, 2:44 PM

Re: Keep saying the same thing I said last year before the

Jun 21, 2012, 3:01 PM

trip to Columbia.

Pushing against too stiff a headwind. The matchups are horrid for Clemson in this game.

Crux of the issue is that SC strengths are uniquely pinpointed to the weaknesses of the current Tiger team configuration while the Tigers strengths do not touch on SC weaknesses.

SC ball-control power running game vs Clemson's DL does two things...takes offensive opportunities away from the offense and puts extra pressure on the offense to have success on those limited opportunities. Defensively, SC is able to combine physical DB play with their dominant DL play against Clemson other weakness...OL, to basically neutralize Clemson primary strenght...speed at the skill positions. This was evident last season in the inability of Boyd to go to his secondary targets and simply chucking the ball OOB as the game worn on.

For this season the current reality is that SC is going to be stronger at those strengths for 2012 while Clemson is going to be worst or the same at those weaknesses, so it is going to take some mistakes by SC for the outcome to be different.

Jun 21, 2012, 3:21 PM

It's all Bush's fault!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a strange post Orangeday

Jun 21, 2012, 8:59 PM

If there is anything you cannot blame on TB it is losing to SCAR, because if he only did one thing right it was beating SCAR.

Jun 21, 2012, 9:04 PM

What is complacement?

Jun 21, 2012, 9:08 PM

Com- = together;with
Placement = State of being arranged or placed

So...arranged together?

Not sure what the guy is talking about.

Maybe he meant complacency?

Jun 22, 2012, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement ]

I dunno, I'm still trying to figure out what a juggar knot is.

Jun 21, 2012, 9:31 PM

I do think USC has been catching up to Clemson ever since Spurrier was hired. All of that over signing helped too.

The big difference is their offense vs Clemson defense. In 2008 USC scored just 14 points and Clemson won easily. In the next three games USC scored 34, 29, and 34 points. Guess what was different? The defensive coordinator.

Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM

Exactly. There's quite a few people here who owe me some TUs from last season and my "inconsistent Steele" posts

Jun 22, 2012, 4:24 AM [ in reply to Re: The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement ]

2008 and 2009 were the two worst offensive teams coached by Steve Spurrier in his entire coaching career: in '08, we went into the season with no proven QB, no consistently dependable RB, only one dependable WR (McKinley), and one of the poorest performing OLs in the FBS. The OL was near last in FBS in QB sacks allowed and penalty yards, and the QBs collectively were leading FBS in INTs thrown.

In 2009 Garcia finally got his act together long enough to become a consistent starter for USC, but Spurrier still had to stick with him because they had no one else. Jeffery started making substantial contributions around the mid-point of the season. The OL did improve in several areas thanks to USC finally firing Hunt and replacing him with Wolford, but USC still finished last in the SEC in rushing offense (as they did in '08).

The win versus CU in '09 was a surprise for most Gamecock fans, and to be truthful that game was arguably the best executed one of the season for them...

USC only started fielding respectable offenses beginning with the 2010 season....

Jun 22, 2012, 5:39 AM

usuc is a defense first team, and has been under sos, and i'm sure he doesn't like it. usuc's offense has not impressed anyone, including last years. ellis johnson was the main reason usuc was relevant, and he is gone. that is the one thing i have not heard (or read)mentioned by usuc faithful. we struggled mightily when we lost rich rod, and i can see the same thing for usuc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2012, 5:50 AM

I agree with you that Johnson did a good job for us, most of the time.

Jun 22, 2012, 5:47 AM [ in reply to Re: The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement ]

I was not surprised by our 09 win over clemson. After watching how we took both Alabama and Florida well into the 4th quarter with the game in doubt, I fully expected to take out the taters.

ding ding ding!***

Jun 22, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: The Past 3 Losses to USuC Came From TB Era Complacement ]

Tigernet, we have a new word for our dictionary!

Jun 22, 2012, 12:22 PM

Lord knows we don't want there ever to be a sense of complacement on any of our teams, lest tigernet starts the landblasting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic