Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Palmetto Bowl??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,824

The Palmetto Bowl??

Nov 20, 2018, 12:10 PM

I read an article the other day and the writer thought we needed a new name for the so-called rivalry. In his opinion The Palmetto Bowl just does not have the same ring to it that the name of other games do such as The Civil War, or Go Old Fashioned Hate. I would likely never watch the game but Utah and BYU call their game The Holy War which is cool. Then of course you have Ole Miss and Miss State playing in the Egg Bowl which is just plain stupid. Do not know how the game got that name and do not care.

Then I started thinking about our annual game. I have a different opinion than the writer. I do not think our game with the dirt peckers deserves a cool name because frankly it is not a rivalry. We currently own 27 more wins against then they do against us. Soon to be 28. We have 2 National Titles and countless other achievements. They have a single conference championship banner from '69 when most of us were yet alive. They played for their current conference championship once and got trucked.

When you look at the other great rivalries of college most are relatively close in terms of wins and losses. If you look at a list of the top 25 rivalries, most of them are separated by 9 or 10 wins over a 100 year period with a few exceptions. OK flat out owns OK State to the point where they should really stop playing. Michigan owns Mich State and Texas owns A&M. Most of the other rivalries are much closer in wins and losses.

Should we really call the coots our biggest rival? They raise their kids to hate Tigers fans and yell "Roll Tide" because they have nothing else to cheer for in the sport that matters most in the south, and they are scared to death of what our team is accomplishing on and off the field. Their single greatest accomplishment is beating Clemson 5 years in a row. An accomplishment we are soon to match.

So, rather than wasting our time thinking of a name for our rivalry game, maybe we should put more effort into finding another team to call our rival. I realize that state law requires us to waste a Saturday playing them and they will always be our "arch-rival", but surely other teams actually meet the criteria.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that U5C will allow it to be called...

Nov 20, 2018, 12:12 PM

The Annual Carolina Beatdown

Re: I don't think that U5C will allow it to be called...

Nov 20, 2018, 12:17 PM

I don’t think they have a say in the matter, actually.

However, “Carolina” is in Chapel Hill. Everyone knows that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

As if they have ANY SAY in the matter.***

Nov 20, 2018, 12:35 PM [ in reply to I don't think that U5C will allow it to be called... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The Palmetto Bowl??

Nov 20, 2018, 12:25 PM

It is a rivalry and a good one. If not, there wouldn’t be a million posts on here about the coots 365 days a year. And the opposite is true on their side.

Saying it is not a rivalry is fake news.

Nov 20, 2018, 1:01 PM

It is a rivalry because we are in the same state and we have to play each other. Rarely have both teams been great at the same time. On the national stage it is largely forgotten when compared to other notable rivalries.

Miami and FSU have played 60 times and are separated by 3 games in the win column. Everyone remembers "wide right"!

Catholics vs Convicts is another good one.

As Dabo said it is a domination and will continue to be so.

Nov 20, 2018, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: The Palmetto Bowl?? ]

THIS ***

Nov 20, 2018, 12:57 PM

Maybe they should call it "The Time Bomb Tickin' Chicken A$$ Kickin' Bowl"

That has an okay ring to it even though it doesn't eloquently roll off the tongue.

Nov 20, 2018, 12:57 PM

How about simply the Palm Bowl since tbe trophy has a palm tree instead of a palmetto tree.

woodshed bowl

Nov 20, 2018, 1:06 PM

because we'll be taking them behind the woodshed

Just because we have dominated the series does not

Nov 20, 2018, 1:29 PM

preclude it from being a rivalry. It's a rivalry, albeit a fairly lopsided rivalry, but a rivalry none the less.

Also, the 5 peat is not something we have not accomplished in the past.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,824
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic