Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff

Oct 8, 2018, 7:35 AM

If Clemson is undefeated and the ACC Champs, again, the only team Notre Dame will bump will be the second SEC team the talking heads want to include in the playoff - Clemson will be in. Period.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff

Oct 8, 2018, 7:55 AM

Don't bet the house on that. A one-loss SEC team, especially if it comes in the SECCG could get in. After all, Bama got in last year, and they didn't even win the division.
We need to go undefeated, or it won't matter.
But we definitely need Notre Dame to lose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame was not an undefeated team last year either

Oct 8, 2018, 7:57 AM

Clemson will NOT get bumped.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Notre Dame was not an undefeated team last year either

Oct 8, 2018, 8:02 AM

True, but Bama trumps any one loss team!

Oct 8, 2018, 8:53 AM

That's my thought. Let's say at the end of the year, we're left with a:

13-0 Clemson
13-0 Ohio St
13-0 Georgia
12-1 Bama (loses 24-21 to UGA in SECCG)
12-0 ND.

Pick 4.

Oct 8, 2018, 9:03 AM

At this point it comes down to strength of schedule and eye test. We won’t have the strength of schedule so we really need the eye test. But when you look at Notre Dames schedule all they will have is Michigan and Stanford. We match them with FSU and Syracuse. They had VT but we either get Tech or Miami. A&M needs to match Stanford or Michigan and we need ncst to match one as well then we trump ND and they’re out

Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame was not an undefeated team last year either ]

And in your scenario there is absolutely no doubt that Alabama is getting in because it’s Alabama so that’s why i think it comes down to us or ND. I think bama should be out because they will have basically just lost a playoff type game and if everyone’s undefeated they don’t deserve to get in

Oct 8, 2018, 10:21 AM

Yea, the thought of that scenario is already making me angry, because I know we'd draw the short straw. Somehow ND would "pass the eye test"...

incorrect***

Oct 8, 2018, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Oct 8, 2018, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

A 1 loss Bama got in last year over a 2 loss Big 10 champ. Don't forget, that second loss was the entire reason 0310 didn't get in.

Oct 8, 2018, 10:09 AM

when Wis choked 'bamer got their spot.

Oct 27, 2023, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

While true, it was actually the way Ohio st lost. Iowa completely blasted them. Had they won by 3-7 pts, I still think the Buckeyes get in over Bama. OSU’s schedule was legit last year. Bama’s was not at all. (Hey that sounds like this year too, haha)

Oct 8, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

Bama got in last year because OSU beat and undefeated WIS team, had Wis won Bama would've been left out.

Oct 8, 2018, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

Bama didn't get in over a 1 loss conference champion last year though. They got in over a 2 loss Ohio State team that had a 15 point loss to Oklahoma, and a 31 point loss to a 7-5 Iowa team.

Oct 8, 2018, 8:30 AM

Lets just beat NC St first. We are a long way from post season stuff

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo

Oct 8, 2018, 8:44 AM

Exactly. But this kind of thing happens every year in the CFP era. Everybody gets up in arms because some AP voter has Clemson lower than #1 on his ballot. And, everybody automatically projects 5+ undefeated teams at the end of the regular season.

I guess it's something to talk about. But, I don't get too worked up over it. Just like OU getting upset by Texas last week, ND, UGA, Bama, OSU, and maybe even Clemson will end up having an off-day and dropping a game they should've won. We'll end up with 1 or 2 undefeated teams and a debate on who else should make the final 4.

And keep in mind that since the AP voters have no say whatsoever in the CFP poll, their votes have turned from objective and logical, to shocking and clickbait. Once their votes got devalued, they turned to the only value they had left: Entertainment. So, while I get annoyed when I see someone like Notre Dame ranked above Clemson on Stewart Mandel's Top 25, I completely understand he's doing it to sell advertisement and stir up debate and traffic. His vote has no other value.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bingo

Oct 8, 2018, 10:11 AM

THIS **** plus they got articles to write. Their poll is a beauty contest.

Oct 8, 2018, 8:39 AM

Bama is going undefeated. We just need Georgia to lose to Auburn, LSU or Florida or just ALL of them lol but we just need to win our games

Oct 8, 2018, 8:46 AM

Bama has to play all of their games just like everybody else. And as long as a game is being played, anybody can win. Bama will be favored in every game. But wasn't that the case the past 3 years for them? As near as I can tell, they've never gone 15-0.

Oct 8, 2018, 8:59 AM

Ok. That’s all great but they’re going undefeated. If we’re looking at past teams let’s talk about how they’ve never had a quarterback like they do now. They are lethal on both sides of the ball, special-teams, everything

Oct 8, 2018, 10:17 AM

Alabama is a respectable 23rd in the nation in Total Defense. That's good, but not great and certainly not dominant. They can and will be exposed once they start playing stiffer competition.

They have not gone undefeated since 2009.

i.e. they have lost 1 game or more eight years in a row.

But, this year they're putting it all together because you feel strongly about it? OK then.

Roll Tide, I guess, eh?

Oct 8, 2018, 2:07 PM

1. If Alabama's Defense is the only concern then they are in great shape b/c you better believe Saban will have them playing lights out in the semifinal.

2."They have not gone undefeated since 2009." We are talking about regular season and sec champ. Bowls and playoff games don't factor in b/c we're discussing how the playoff will be set. In 2016 Bama went 13-0 before playoff and that's what matters here.

3. They are not putting it together because I feel strongly about it. I'm not the football whisperer. The're putting it together because they have a great qb now. Ya know? The one I mentioned up top? They're receivers would toast our secondary and that hasn't been a fear the last 3 years we've played them. Nobody could hit them.

4.Roll Tide? Absolutely not

Oct 8, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: The ONLY team an undefeated Notre Dame will bump in playoff ]

I don't believe you will see two teams from the same conference again , there was screaming and yelling last year . but Saban gets his way . They wont make a habit of it

Oct 8, 2018, 9:00 AM

It doesn’t matter who was screaming the TV ratings were out the roof for Alabama Georgia unfortunately so ?? wins

It depends on how we look down the stretch honestly.

Oct 8, 2018, 8:57 AM

If we struggle to beat teams like FSU, SCAR, ACC championship game, then I can see them leaving us out.

The Big Slow Ten bias runs deep, and after that is the SEC bias. Notre Dame gets the most bias of them all (in their favor).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No it doesn't...

Oct 8, 2018, 9:04 AM

Finish 13 - 0, regardless of style points, and we're in ahead of Notre Dame PERIOD !!!!

Notre Dame may make the CFP but not ahead of any undefeated Power 5 team with a conference championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't see how you are so sure o fthat***

Oct 8, 2018, 9:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because, just like you...

Oct 8, 2018, 9:14 AM

It's his opinion. Just like all the other 'opinions' you're reading to justify your position.

BTW, ND isn't going undefeated. Book it. (Just my opinion, but I'm right)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right. Unlike most here, I'm not being combative with my

Oct 8, 2018, 9:17 AM

reply above. I just honestly don't understand the rational basis for his opinion. I would like to have more confidence that Clemson won't get screwed out of the Playoffs if we do everything we are supposed to do.

Because that 13th game is a big deal...

Oct 8, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to I don't see how you are so sure o fthat*** ]

and will be played while Notre Dame is sitting at home on their a$$es.

Notre Dame is probably going to run the table and get in, but not ahead of any 13 - 0 team from a Power 5 conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I hope you're right***

Oct 8, 2018, 10:59 AM

Every Game Clemson Plays This Year is A Playoff game!

Oct 8, 2018, 9:35 AM

I do believe in conspiracies or perhaps collusion is a better word in this case...No person or organization in an official capacity would ever admit this, but in a perfect world, the CPF will make decisions whenever possible to distribute those 4 golden tickets to all parts of the country or to teams than has huge traveling fan bases that will also generate big TV ratings. Why do you think Notre Dame gets special consideration for so many things? That have a global fan base and these Catholics will come out of the walls to attend a ND game if it is close to where they live. Do you think when Louisville joined the ACC the schools would have allowed them to join but leave Football out?..Look at what happen to Ohio State a few years ago when Penn State beat them and won the Big 10 and got left out...

In the last several year the ACC has had several good teams that have help the eye test but this year the league as a whole is just not good this year which won't help Clemson this year if we drop one. No mulligans for Clemson is ND runs the table.

If the CFP can get away with it, they would take Notre Dame over any team if they could justify it. They want programs like ND, Texas, Southern Cal, Michigan back to national prominence and will make they happen if they have a chance.

The PAC 12 and Big 12 took a big hit over the weekend but ND is still out there winning. Because ND will get strong consideration should they run the table, every game Clemson plays in an elimination game. Not only that, we need style points like we did in the Wake game to pass the eye test.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Every Game Clemson Plays This Year is A Playoff game!

Oct 8, 2018, 11:25 AM

+1, even though I hate it, it's true.

The marketing angle favors Notre Dame. Golden Domers have a national following that the Fathers of CFB always try to tap into whenever the Irish do enough to make it excusable. In their defense, Notre Dame does attempt to schedule a fairly rigorous 12-game schedule. In addition to their 5 ACC games, they still keep their rivalries with SoCal, UM and Stanford, and they play true road games. If the ACC and their rivals are all lame at the same time, it's not ND's fault.

The second best marketing angle favors the B1G. Lots of Rust Belt states invest all their best resources into a single college--except for Texas, the biggest and richest one-campus colleges in the nation are in the B1G, averaging over 50K students (except Purdue and NW). Even with retirement exodus to the Sun Belt, they still have a huge following (maybe even bigger nationally because of the exodus.)

Historically the B1G was incredibly relevant--partially assisted by their schools of sports journalism--until the California schools replaced them, only to be topped in the last 2 decades by the SEC. If you consider that last year their conference champ was left out--correctly, but nevertheless that outcome cost the conference millions of $--the CFP will only omit the B1G champ this year if there is no way to avoid it.

I'm not suggesting that the ESPN bias toward SEC and B1G matters to the CFP. I am counting on the Selection Committee truly acting independently of those guys, and expecting the post-selection "let's talk about how the SC screwed up" conversations. But I do believe the SC considers more than just who has proven to be the four best teams.

I believe in your above scenario of 5 deserving teams (Bama deserving because Saban has convinced everyone that Bama is hands down #1 all year) Clemson gets bumped first. Partly due to SOS, but also due to Clemson and Bama fatigue. If it came to leaving either out, I fear that the team that represented poorly last year is my first team out.

The CFP is all about crowning a national champion, so tapping into the most lucrative and passionate and tradition-based fan bases is what it's all about. Last year was a dream scenario for GA fans, to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in their lives and then the Championship in Atl. I know many of the true Bama fans are getting tapped out; I just figure that many who are still showing up to these travel games are the band wagoners.

Hopefully all the speculation proves to be wasted energy. Last year all 5 of the top teams lost AFTER this point in the season. We can only hope for some shakeup so voters will allow the best teams to prove it on the field.

Oct 8, 2018, 2:53 PM

I understand why the talking heads want ND back into the CFBP so they can relive nostalgia from their childhoods, but I do NOT understand why anybody thinks that ND's schedule is remotely better than our's.

Their 'signature' win is Stanford, who is continuing to trend down as we all knew they would. Whereas, I think A&M is a very solid team and a much better win than we're given credit for, given the fact that A&M only has two losses because they already played the best 2 teams in CFB. Also, there should be some understanding that our win against them happened in their house while we were still tinkering with our QB's and offense and nobody was in a rhythm and we still won.

End the end, SOR should be WAY more relevant than SOS and way too much credence is given to preseason "rankings" in regard to prematurely classifying some early victories as signature wins.

Oct 8, 2018, 3:21 PM

I don't think any of the teams they've played are awesome, but they have played 3 ranked teams already this season. Yes it could be argued that any of those 3 teams are overrated, but to be fair, if you're going to play that game then you could play that game with just about any schedule. The rest of their schedule is filled with a few teams we play as well, and at least as good as ours. I don't think their overall schedule is night and day better than ours, but I do think that overall it's at least slightly tougher.

I don't think it matters too much anyway, unless the debate is over which of us is #3 and avoids Bama in the 1st game. If we win out then we're in without a doubt IMO. The big 12 is pretty much out of it unless WV wins out, and the PAC 12 is out as well unless Colorado manages to win out. Beyond that, people can disagree all they want, but a 1 loss SEC team isn't getting in ahead of unbeaten Clemson.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic