Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 885

The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking...

Jul 19, 2013, 1:44 PM

Why do we look at sports/entertainment differently than we do all other aspects of our lives? Two examples that always stick out to me are:

People who are typically more liberal talk about a "fat cat" because he owns a business and makes a million dollars a year, but if an athlete gets paid $20 million that have no issue with it.

People who are typically conservative don't believe in massive government spending, but if the local team wants $500 million for a new stadium (which studies have shown do not make a return on their investment) they're okay with that.

And I'm not saying all liberals and/or conservatives feel this way, but many of us take a step outside our typical views when it comes to sports.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking...

Jul 19, 2013, 2:05 PM

I think sports are different because they are providing a service. We live in a capitalist society where we all have the right to make as much as the market will pay us. The liberal "Fat Cat" and government don't operate under these rules. They are not being paid for what they can do but determining the pay for others and profiting from it.

null

But his question had a good example

Jul 19, 2013, 2:07 PM

I mean assuming there are "small government" conservatives who are for large publicly subsidized stadiums that cost the tax-payers while enriching the sports' teams owners. That is a valid question (again, assuming those people exist).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The bigger Liberal Conservative issue i have is

Jul 19, 2013, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking... ]

Liberal want Gay marriage but Conservatives have an issue with that. Conservatives what to be able to have guns, but Liberals have an issue with that. This is two issues that should be allowed by the constitution, but people only use the constitution for their own good.

Just like Liberals are pro choice, but against capital punishment. Conservatives are for pro life, but are for capital punishment.

The answer is simple. Republican and Democratic politicians are useless. More people need to fully understand what a libertarian is. (ron paul isn't)

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Belongs on the political board, but….

Jul 19, 2013, 4:57 PM

Liberals don't want guns outlawed, they just want sensible gun control laws. There is big difference between out right banning guns to wanting sensible gun control laws. So not a good comparison there.

Neither is the abortion one. I'm pro choice, but think abortion is wrong. The question with abortion is when do you determine when human life or the journey of a soul has began. And there is nothing scientifically pointing to a specific time frame for when a developing baby is considered a human life. And abortion is mentioned nowhere in the Bible, or any other religious texts, so religious people have nothing in writing which discusses abortion. And the main reason why a lot of liberals are against the death penalty is because of the number of people wrongly convicted of murder. So you really can't compare abortion and the death penalty, because neither issue comes anywhere to resembling the other.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The bigger Liberal Conservative issue i have is

Jul 19, 2013, 6:36 PM [ in reply to The bigger Liberal Conservative issue i have is ]

Libertarian ideas aren't the way to go either, just look at the asinine things Ron Paul said. Franlly, NO party system is what is best for this country, I reference George Washington's farewell address for that one. Political parties provide us with a single sided solution, their way (usually creatd by lobbyists influence and lack of accountability) or nothing. However, what our country is facing is a massive, multi-faceted problem that has its roots in the hearts and minds of the people. No political party or partisan doctrine will ever fix that. Our founders understoos that and created the Constitution for the purpose of the people UNITED, not divided like today, to create a "more perfect Union".

Forget the government, CNN, Fox, Rush Limbaugh, and Chris Matthews. Work together to fix ourslves, then work tovether to clear house, then work together to reestablish our system in the way the Framers intended.

I think every American needs to visit Valley Forge and see Washington's Chapel. There are many lessons about our roots and heritage that every one should learn and understand.

Re: Re: The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking...

Jul 19, 2013, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA lawsuit had me thinking... ]

Or they stand to profit from it the:
Own team
Own concessions
Gonna build it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

You're mostly correct, however….

Jul 19, 2013, 4:49 PM

I'm a liberal, and I don't have problems with "fat cats" making millions. My problem is with greedy "fat cats" that promote greed and ruin the economy because of their greed. I also don't care for greedy athletes, either, who have spent all their money up by the end of their playing days.

There is a difference between greed and being rich. There are poor people who are just as greedy as greedy rich people.

But great point you make. In a lot of circumstances when it comes to sports people's opinions are often vastly different than their political opinions. Even though, the issues some times mirror each other.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's one of the "opiates for the masses". Think gladiators.***

Jul 19, 2013, 5:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 885
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic