Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bill Mclellan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Bill Mclellan

May 4, 2013, 3:31 PM

Bill Mclellan is a true Clemson legend. He was an outstanding player for legend Frank Howard. In addition to his sucess on the football field, under his leadership as AD, he brought Clemson to it's greatest accomplishments in school history. Along with his teamates such as "Red Face" Gressette, and "Goon" Gaskin, "Black Cat" Barton, Barclay Crawford and all other players laid the foundation for Clemson football as we know it today.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bill Mclellan

May 4, 2013, 4:39 PM

Redface, you are dead on! Bill Mclellan was a Clemson man all the way! Great student, player, and AD! If he had been AD instead of that lacky Bobby Robinson.... we would not have waited 20 years for another ACC championship!

May 4, 2013, 5:38 PM

while you may be right he presided, as AD, over us getting on probation in both hoops and football as I recall so that is why he was let go as AD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA called him Bill McTellem-different

May 4, 2013, 5:58 PM

went over the line

May 5, 2013, 2:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Bill Mclellan ]

No. It was about the Dutch runner who died in Clemson House. It was a messy time.

Bobby Robinson was a major mistake - should......

May 4, 2013, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Bill Mclellan ]

have never been chosen as our AD.

a Great Tiger and a Great American

May 4, 2013, 5:03 PM

and a fine man too. what a guy.

Re: a Great Tiger and a Great American

May 4, 2013, 5:38 PM

Why did he leave us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't really know but Clemson lost a lot that it had

May 4, 2013, 5:44 PM

going for them when he was around. Just my opinion we went from good to awful when he left.

He was the AD at Clemson during 3 major scandals that

May 4, 2013, 6:12 PM

occurred under his watch. You can read about them here:

http://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/Bill_McLellan

If you want to read some more...check out these:

http://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/1984 (starting on Oct. 26)

http://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/1985 (goes from Jan till Nov)

Re: He was the AD at Clemson when their we could with

May 4, 2013, 6:29 PM

anyone in just about any sport. Why leave that outs?

Hw was the AD at Clemson when we could play with anyone

May 4, 2013, 6:52 PM

in just about any sport. Whey leave that out?

Cause we now have a wimpy apologetic fan base much like

May 5, 2013, 3:13 PM

the wimpy weak idiotic country we have become.

No excuses for any of that - but the sad part is that the

May 4, 2013, 7:06 PM [ in reply to He was the AD at Clemson during 3 major scandals that ]

kinds of things that brought about those "scandals" were things that every single successful athletic program of that era did, without exception. Yeah, we did wrong, but Clemson wanted to win, realized the only way was to do what all the winners were doing (and had been doing for decades), and brought in very capable, loyal Clemson people to get it done. And they did. Everybody knows that Clemson's punishment(s), while perhaps deserved when viewed in a bubble and out of context, were grossly unfair and frankly, a joke.

Right or wrong, Bill McLellen was no different than the AD's at UNC, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio State, NC State, UCLA, etc., except he paid a higher price than most for the success achieved under his watch, and deserves just as much credit as any of them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: No excuses for any of that - but the sad part is that the

May 4, 2013, 7:09 PM

very good and true post!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No excuses for any of that - but the sad part is that the

May 4, 2013, 7:16 PM [ in reply to No excuses for any of that - but the sad part is that the ]

I hold Clemson to a higher standard than everyone else. If it is the special place we all believe it to be we shouldn't have to resort to that.

To excuse it in the light of "everyone else does it" is just wrong. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Period.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - like I said, no excuses.

May 4, 2013, 7:37 PM

It's just like when you get pulled over for speeding on a busy highway where everyone is speeding. You're wrong for speeding, you got caught, no excuses and nobody to blame but yourself.

I'm just pointing out that it sux for Bill McLellen that so many will remember him for speeding, when most of the ones that were speeding right along with him not only didn't get their driver's license revoked, and didn't even get a ticket, but went on to be highly regarded as great, safe drivers and had buildings and facilities named after them and statues erected in their honor, when the only difference between him and them was that he got singled out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Wrong is wrong...just because everybody is doing it...

May 4, 2013, 8:12 PM

doesn't make it right. He really didn't pay much of a price for everything that happened. Actually I don't think very many people remember all the bad that went on. I had forgotten a lot of it until I read about it today. He was able to stay on for a year...with pay...after the athlete died. He was able to draw a paycheck until he got his 30 years in so, he could receive full state benefits. He also has part of a facility named after him. So, all in all I think he came out pretty good. He did do good things here and we did win a national championship while he was AD...but it has a major stain on it.

Again, and yet again - yes wrong is wrong. For the record,

May 4, 2013, 8:45 PM

again, I'll say it again: The things that went on were wrong; no excuses. Everybody else doing it did not make it right. It's still wrong. No two ways about it. Wrong is wrong is wrong. No excuses. It was wrong, even if everybody else is doing it. It's not right, it's wrong.

AND while McLellen came out good in many ways, he still has those stains on his record, and the powers that be chose to put them there while very consciously and deliberately turning a blind eye to many, many others, and that's wrong too.

- H. L. Mencken

You are right, but I think he came out better than most...

May 4, 2013, 9:18 PM

at least 7 people lost their job....just from the track scandal...not counting all the basketball coaches...and an athlete that lost his life. Bill went on to be AD at Southern Miss...inducted into HOF, now has his name on the upper deck. Not too bad for somebody that brought a lot of shame to this university that we will always be reminded of.

Assuming that the violations that occurred under McLellen

May 4, 2013, 9:36 PM

directly contributed to the wins and championships, not to mention bringing many great, memorable athletes to Clemson, would you be willing to not have had all of that and instead having none of those violations? Would most Clemson fans?

- H. L. Mencken

What you say is right...I think what bothers me the most is

May 5, 2013, 10:52 AM

that we still honor the people who did wrong. We continue to put them in the HOF and put their name on buildings for everybody to see and be reminded of what they did. I think those honors should be reserved for the people who played by all the rules, all the time. We have a lot of those people and we should be proud of them. We didn't name anything at the new track facility for Stan Narewski even though he was the NCAA coach of the year. There is nothing named for Tates Locke or any of the others that did wrong. I don't think anything should be named for anybody that was a part of all that. Honor the honest ones...not the ones that cheated.

Point - and I don't disagree with that. Unfortunately, many

May 5, 2013, 11:39 AM

of our most successful coaches and administrators worked in an era in which bending and breaking the rules was rampant, and you either jumped in with the rest and became a winner, or you played nice and wound up looking for a job in short order. Our fan base wanted to win, and enjoyed every second of it.

- H. L. Mencken

OMG you are clueless. We got harsher penalties for doing

May 5, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Wrong is wrong...just because everybody is doing it... ]

less. Name another school in the history of college athletics that got punished by their own conference like Clemson did? Yet when UNC and other ACC schools get in trouble the conference is their fighting for them, not penalizing them even more like they did us.

You people love revisionist history.

Re: OMG you are clueless. We got harsher penalties for doing

May 5, 2013, 5:11 PM

No where did anybody say anything about Clemson getting off easy...you are exactly right about us getting a harsh penalty...too harsh. Nothing happened to the AD or the football coach when we were put on probation. The AD didn't lose his job until a track star died and it was discovered that approximately 5000 steroid pills had been passed out to athletes...this was 3 years after the football team got in trouble. Like I said my only problem is continuing to honor people that did not act honorably.

Well said. Too many on TNET are kids with no history or

May 5, 2013, 3:06 PM [ in reply to No excuses for any of that - but the sad part is that the ]

perspective.

Re: He was the AD at Clemson during 3 major scandals that

May 5, 2013, 2:18 AM [ in reply to He was the AD at Clemson during 3 major scandals that ]

Part of that wiki is wrong. The SC drinking age went to 19 BEFORE the national law was passed. The age was raised on graduation day (June 6 or so) in 1984 at 3 pm.

The SC action was independent of the federal law at the time.

He can't baby sit coaches and that was how things were

May 5, 2013, 3:04 PM [ in reply to He was the AD at Clemson during 3 major scandals that ]

back then. Today those would not be scandals and get near as tough penalties from the NCAA. Without context and perspective those links are meaningless. And he was a great AD and took CU to it's pinnacle athletically.

Not much of a handball player

May 4, 2013, 7:17 PM

There were 6-8 of us used to play M-F at lunch time. I was the only student and used to drive him crazy. Weighing only 155 lbs I didn't exactly hit the ball as hard as the football coaches, but being a cross country runner I never got tired, so my game was too just keep the ball in play until they made a mistake or go tired. McClellan used to tell Col Robbins "I hate playing against that darn kid."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bobby Robinson gets

May 4, 2013, 7:37 PM

a bad rep because he was ordered by the Trustees to fire Danny. Under the conditions of the day Bobby did a pretty good job. You had to be there and understand conditions of what was happening during those dark days and the aftermath.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was just the most visible

May 4, 2013, 9:39 PM

thing that was wrong with Bobby Robinson and Clemson together. We're only now digging out of the hole that was left from those days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bobby Robinson gets

May 5, 2013, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Bobby Robinson gets ]

Clemson was never the same with Robinson in control. We are just now escaping from the mess he created. Without question the biggest mistake ever made in Clemson athletics was his appointment as AD. McClellan was old school as an AD and his methods would not survive in todays world of college sports ..... but I was his biggest fan. GO DANNY!

Point***

May 5, 2013, 3:12 PM

I point you but then just have to say "duh"***

May 4, 2013, 9:43 PM

North Upper Decks named for Bill...

May 4, 2013, 10:08 PM

gOtiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said. Too many on TNET are kids with no history or

May 6, 2013, 4:46 PM

Edisto_Tiger, not only is Edisto an awesome place, in addition, your view on Bill Mclellan & TNET kids is absolutely correct. The "kids" either forgot or never experienced the games in Death Valley when legend, Herman McGee was trainer (who now has a permanent display in his honor located @ the entrance of the Tigers locker room in The West Zone), when there were NO upper decks, when only the flags of all ACC members flew @ the top of the stands on the visitors side of the stadium, when "tear away" jerseys were allowed, when RB's like Lester Brown burned trails to the end zone.......it was Bill Mclellan that not only had the vision to take Clemson to where it is now, but also accomplished the vision. Also, it's repulsive that some members on the board of trustees have vowed to keep Danny Ford out of the Ring of Honor......it's yet another prime example that power corrupts.....

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic