Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Amateur sports at the collegiate sports level is quickly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,522

Amateur sports at the collegiate sports level is quickly

Oct 16, 2018, 9:51 PM

Becoming a trainwreck and the ncaa lacks the gonads to step in and take control. It has been going on since the 50’s with Frank McGuire at UNC and probably long before that. My first memory of ‘cheating’ Is the late 50s when the Heels were found guilty of fixing games. McGuire of course moved on to Columbia where he was squeaky clean. Sure he was! It’s time to drop the hammer regardless of who is involved. If you cheat .... you should not be allowed to field a team...... end of program. Do you think that will happen? No Way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amateur sports at the collegiate sports level is quickly

Oct 16, 2018, 10:25 PM

MCGUIRE WAS NOT CLEAN IN COLUMBIA.I KNOW ONE OF HIS PLAYERS WAS PAID FOR WORK THAT HE NEVER DID.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 PM

unless you have proof, do not post this crap

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Amateur sports at the collegiate sports level is quickly ]

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!

LOUD NOISES!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA and the whole concept of "student athletes"

Oct 16, 2018, 10:28 PM

in revenue generating sports is just nonsense. It's all about making money and everyone involved with the industry knows it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not only revenue sports

Oct 17, 2018, 12:14 PM

You'd be surprised at the amount of cheating and lack of amateurism even in the non revenue sports. Those coaches have immense pressure to win as well.

It's become somewhat of a Catch 22, for in our cravings

Oct 17, 2018, 6:38 AM

for greater visibility, we have allowed television and other media into collegiate sports to the point of pervasiveness.

The media is now in fierce competition for greater control with the money flowing freely, and throughout the process the NCAA has taken somewhat of a hands-off approach. That's why conversations like player pay have arisen.

My take is that it will only get worse, as more and more schools are wanting larger slices of the pie. As that happens, there will be more controversies and corruption. Then, guess what? Congress will get involved, and look out!

Some say the Ivy League schools had it right all along. And to them collegiate sports remain somewhat pure.

Thus, the choice is ours: we allow the current process to continue or we demand a return to sense and sensibility. My guess is the former...until a giant implosion occurs or we learn to control athletics ourselves rather than allowing outsiders to dictate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's become somewhat of a Catch 22, for in our cravings

Oct 17, 2018, 11:41 AM

I totally agree. That’s why I say the ncaa can step in now and stop this nonsense or do nothing and watch amateur sports die a painful death. It’s really up to them that’s what they are for isn’t it?

Re: It's become somewhat of a Catch 22, for in our cravings

Oct 17, 2018, 12:10 PM [ in reply to It's become somewhat of a Catch 22, for in our cravings ]

The catylst is Network TV contracts with individual schools. Power 5 conferences all have their own networks to try and capitalize on the money selling their wares to bigger networks. Those Networks only care about ratings. They know what schools in which sports draw ratings. The can bypass conference contracts if the money is right.
I foresee the NBC (Notre Dame) setting a precedent in order to compete with ABC/ESPN.
CBS(SEC) and FOX are going to court disgruntled programs that draw ratings.
The PAC 12 has not been in the playoff picture in awhile. USC, UCLA, Stanford all have a big enough base to get their own TV contract. The same with the B1G and OSU, Michigan and Penn State. If they get TV contracts the network will dictate their schedules so say goodbye to small market games which will destroy their ability to make ends meet.

Now apply the same ratings metric to basketball and half of the ACC and B1G will have their own contracts. Network controlled scheduling would mark the end of college athletics. They would demand better match ups, which I hear several on tnet clamor for. That would mean the school's that draw the highest ratings would be the only ones you would ever see. Not necessarily the best just the ones that draw the best ratings. How will this affect recruiting? Players will have to play for teams with exposure. Small market teams will die very quickly. It will not be slow. The championships will have to be redesigned because there will be obvious disadvantages to staying in a conference and playing in a conference championship.
Money changes everything. Not always for the worse, but there is always a topping point. Look at the number of bowl games. I like them but it has become ridiculous. Teams under .500 playing in a bowl game because there are so many we cannot find teams that even have a winning record?
I like ND as an institution. I see them as a valued member of the ACC. But their NBC contract for football is the proverbial Pandora's Box. It either needs to be closed or if left open beware the consequence.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,522
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic